The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

3 hours ago, QMany said:

I don't find it amazing; I find predictable. They don't care about anything or anyone else until it affects them personally. If Newt hadn't vacationed in Italy during their crisis, I'd bet he'd still be on Fox News spouting propaganda and calling it a hoax. 

More idiot stuff

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/as-much-of-america-takes-drastic-action-some-republicans-remain-skeptical-of-the-severity-of-the-coronavirus-pandemic/2020/03/17/f8b199c8-6786-11ea-b313-df458622c2cc_story.html

Over the weekend, Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), a leading ally of President Trump, dismissed concerns about the novel coronavirus pandemic and said on Fox News that “it’s a great time to just go out, go to a local restaurant.”

And former New York City police commissioner Bernard B. Kerik, a Trump supporter who was pardoned last month, tweeted that “this hysteria is being created to destabilize the country and destroy” Trump.

But from Italy, where there is a national quarantine to try to slow the devastating effects of the coronavirus, Newt Gingrich offered a different perspective. The former House speaker wrote an opinion piece seeking to convince his fellow Republicans that not only was the pandemic very real, it required urgent action.

Inside the Republican Party and the conservative movement that Trump commands, there is now a deep divide as the nation confronts the coronavirus. For weeks, many on the right, including Trump, minimized the virus, if they considered it at all. Even in recent days, as much of the world shuts down to try to stop its spread, some Republicans mocked what they saw as a media-generated frenzy.

Norway considers the USA as undeveloped and unprepared - asking its student to return to Norway.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/norway-students-us-collective-infrastructure-025826376.html

Norway’s renowned University of Science and Technology has issued an alert urging students studying abroad to return home as a response to the coronavirus pandemic — specifically singling out the U.S.

The warning from the nation’s largest university, with some 40,000 students, applies “especially” to students staying in nations with “poorly developed health services,” as well as countries, “for example the USA,” with a “poorly developed collective infrastructure.”

The alert notes it can be difficult in the U.S. to “get transport to the airport if you don’t have a car.” It added, apparently referring to “poorly developed health services,” that, “The same applies if you don’t have health insurance.”

“In line with the advice from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, I, as NTNU’s Rector, strongly recommend that all NTNU students who are outside Norway return home.

This applies especially if you are staying in a country with poorly developed health services. This also applies for countries with poorly developed collective infrastructure, for example the USA, where it can be difficult to get transport to the airport if you don’t have a car. The same applies if you don’t have health insurance.” 

• Thanks 3

Our Nebraska ESU district was the last to close, and for two weeks... but all of the Supers are implying this will be for the rest of the year. Even making it sound like a late start to next year is more likely than coming back this year. Crazy.

Colorado closed all bars, restaurants, theaters, gyms, etc for 30 days starting today. We've already reached out to our local gym to tell them to keep our membership payments going through so they can pay their employees. 

My fiancee got an email from her school district saying that they are working on setting up online learning which means they expect the buildings to be closed for quite a while. She also said that some of the wealthier districts are offering up their extra laptops for lower income households to use and that Comcast is willing to set up free/discounted internet access for homes that do not currently have it. 

I also saw that Pennsylvania closed their liquor stores! 

• Plus1 2