The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

9 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

That high of a positive rate only further shows that the US is only testing cases that are severe, and leaving those who are not experiencing severe symptoms in the general public to infect the rest of us. 

I check in the hospital every morning and they ask if I have symptoms, the answer is always no, then they let me walk in. Everyday I wonder whose lying about symptoms or how many people I interact with could be asymptomatic. Hell I could be asymptomatic, I’m in my twenties and outside of an occasional cold, I never pick up anything. God knows how many people are walking around with it. 

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would love to hear your solution to businesses being shut down that have bank loans, bank payments...etc.  

I don't think this idea will be protested even here. 

Instead of throwing $700 billion at the banks, why not take that same money and give it proportionally to all Americans? That would be around $2,000 per citizen in their pocket to help them sustain themselves and/or spend at business to keep the economy flowing. 

Proclaiming "no business will be allowed to fail" is just not realistic. Businesses fail every single day, and many who were teetering at the brink of failure prior to this ordeal should be allowed to close. Let customers decide what businesses they want to solicit and support rather than bureaucracy doing so. That's bound to turn out poorly. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

So, about the Government Corona Virus Checks, each one needs to come with a signed card with a message from Trump. I can just imagine what it might say. 

Sorry I f'd this up so bad. It wasn't a hoax, it wasn't contained, and we weren't on top of it. This might help a bit with some of your costs, unless, of course, you die. In that case, my bad. 

Trump 2020

PS. I blame Kushner! MAGA! 

Oh and isn't it ironic the great american toilet paper shortage happened on the Trump/ Pence watch/

View image on Twitter

35 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I don't think this idea will be protested even here. 

Instead of throwing $700 billion at the banks, why not take that same money and give it proportionally to all Americans? That would be around $2,000 per citizen in their pocket to help them sustain themselves and/or spend at business to keep the economy flowing. 

Proclaiming "no business will be allowed to fail" is just not realistic. Businesses fail every single day, and many who were teetering at the brink of failure prior to this ordeal should be allowed to close. Let customers decide what businesses they want to solicit and support rather than bureaucracy doing so. That's bound to turn out poorly. 

So, right now, I'm an extremely healthy company.  The government locks down society so that my products can not be sold.  I still have bank loans and commitments.

I should go bankrupt and out of business ONLY because of this disease.

I say we seize the assets of America's billionaires. Spread that out proportionally to all businesses and citizens. That's about $209 trillion according to a quick search

That should be enough cash to ride this out.  And only 600 people are harmed.

Win/Win

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I say we seize the assets of America's billionaires. Spread that out proportionally to all businesses and citizens. That's about $209 trillion according to a quick search

Win/Win

Envy much? :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, right now, I'm an extremely healthy company.  The government locks down society so that my products can not be sold.  I still have bank loans and commitments.

I should go bankrupt and out of business ONLY because of this disease.

Ah I probably didn't completely understand what you meant. 

So what's the trade off? Macron said rent and utility bills get suspended... what about the utility companies and your landlord? Do they go belly up so you don't have to? Then what? All of that stuff sounds good in theory but it will have horrible consequences

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Win/Win

The reality is that the 400 richest Americans have $2.96 trillion in wealth.

Even taxing all of them at 50% for wealth above $1 billion, the "poorest" of them would still be worth $1.55 billion and the richest $57.5 billion. That would net $1.28 trillion in tax revenue, which is enough to pay every American $3878.

If we instead took drastic measures and taxed all of them at 100% for wealth above $1 billion, all of them would still be billionaires (but not multi-billionaires). That would net $2.56 trillion in tax revenue, which is enough to pay every American $7757.

And that's just 400 Americans compared to 330 million Americans.