The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

5 minutes ago, QMany said:

WHY. THE. F*CK. IS. JARED. KUSHNER. WORKING. IN. THE. WHITE. HOUSE!?!

i just saw a tweet discussing how they've never heard so many sources saying Trump is p#ssed at Jared for this debacle.

Well sorry, bud. Buck stops with you. Maybe don't put your dips#!t son-in-law in charge of stuff that could cost the entire country?

• Plus1 6

1 minute ago, ZRod said:

More than likely the latter. Anyone who's followed this knows they took EXTREME measures and had some fortunate timing with the new year holiday.

This is part of the reason I'm not super positive about outcomes here compared to there - or even Italy.

Authoritarian governments can force compliance in ways we cannot. American ideas about individual liberty, and in many cases, stupidity, are going to hurt our efforts to limit the spread of this thing.

Reports of packed beaches in FL partying for spring break just yesterday come to mind.

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

The answer is testing. @RedDenver thanks for the great link above. We're fighting an invisible opponent right now, to reveal that opponent we need mass testing - yesterday. Our shot at long term slowing this down is testing. 

And testing is STILL what they are refusing to do. Reports across Nebraska and Iowa that symptomatic people are STILL not being tested unless they have traveled or come into direct contact with a known case. Everyone knows the virus is here. Everyone knows symptomatic people that can't get a test. Everyone knows testing is the answer. If I come down with symptoms, I will lie in order to be tested and protect my family and loved ones. They are risking the entire population by still adhering to these terrible testing guidelines that likely weren't even appropriate a month ago.  This thing has changed, those two questions are now irrelevant. If test don't soon become available to all symptomatic people, frustrations will boil over and we'll end up with more issues than just the virus to deal with. Everyone is seeing the rich, the famous, and the athletes get tested on demand, but the rest of us are told to stay inside for 14 days and ride it out. 

What's more not testing is even more damaging to the economy. Test folks for the virus, if they don't have it they can assume normal sick leave protocol then get their butts back to work making and spending money. A 14+ day quarantine takes them out of the economy for an extended amount of time, which will be repeated for every cold/ flu/ etc they might catch that is not corona. 

Listening to people, I fear we are building a tinder box of frustrations that are reinforcing and exaggerating socio-economic frustrations that were already popping and boiling beneath the surface. I am just as fearful of that fuse being lit as I am the virus. 

• Plus1 5

2 hours ago, QMany said:

I'm sorry to hear this, BRB. 

My father, mother, and sister own/operate a wedding venue. It was chugging along nicely, so they all quit their other jobs and this became their sole source of income. These restrictions have explicitly zeroed out their revenue for the foreseeable future. My parents just sold their home and built a smaller home... on a sliver of the wedding venue property. If their is no relief at the banking level, I fear the absolute worst for their business and housing.

Why not still book business, take a deposit as good faith, and do the weddings later?  I mean...it should still work out unless the groom wisens up and calls it off.

• Haha 1