The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, ActualCornHusker said:

You guys realize many of the same media people calling Trump and others bigoted and racist for calling it a Chinese virus, or the wuhan virus, referred to it as that before Trump ever said it?...

Be that as it may (and that is true), I doubt they had the teleprompter saying "corona virus" or "covid 19" and then switched it to say intentionally and specifically say "chinese virus" instead.

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, ZRod said:

He did not shut it off. He did place restrictions on MOST foreign nationals who were in China in the last 14 days on January 31st. There are quite a few exceptions to kids, parents gaurdians, spouses etc. of US citizens; certain visa holders; asylum seekers; etc.

So...on January 31st, he supposedly knew the virus was serious enough to partially shut down travel from china.  On February 28th, he was calling it a Democrat hoax.

yep....he was taking it seriously.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So...on January 31st, he supposedly knew the virus was serious enough to partially shut down travel from china.  On February 28th, he was calling it a Democrat hoax.

yep....he was taking it seriously.

Just the facts ma'am.

24 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

You guys realize many of the same media people calling Trump and others bigoted and racist for calling it a Chinese virus, or the wuhan virus, referred to it as that before Trump ever said it?...

This is another fake outrage from a bunch of fake reporters that are acting like petulant children, and Trump knows they make themselves look stupid when they flail around in their reaction to him saying it. 

Glad to see y'all took the bait... smdh

Then by all means call out the media people who were saying it but don't pretend it makes what Trump did any better.

41 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The last few days I've just been dreading what this is going to look like when it explodes in Africa.

Now I know what @knapplc felt like when idiots like me wouldn't listen.

Whether we believed it before or now, it's still just going to suck for everyone. And what's worrying me is we really still don't know how bad thus is going to be.

Oddly, a lot of places in Africa are ahead of ilus in how to deal with this because of multiple previous outbreaks like Ebola. 

48 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Be that as it may (and that is true), I doubt they had the teleprompter saying "corona virus" or "covid 19" and then switched it to say intentionally and specifically say "chinese virus" instead.

Not to mention that I have white sheets for my bed, but some pretty awful people use white sheets for entirely different reasons. 

• Fire 1
52 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The last few days I've just been dreading what this is going to look like when it explodes in Africa.

Now I know what @knapplc felt like when idiots like me wouldn't listen.

I read an article on how Africa is pretty well prepared for this kind of thing because of their experience with Ebola.

59 minutes ago, Landlord said:

35 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Then by all means call out the media people who were saying it but don't pretend it makes what Trump did any better.

Seriously... who cares...

4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Trump clearly does, and there's an interesting question as to why.

It's pretty obvious why he's referring to it as a Chinese virus... multiple reasons...

1. That's literally where it came from 

2. He knows the media are going to make a big deal over it and further exemplify why the media in this country is a propagandized joke

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You do, or you wouldn't have posted about it.

Frankly, I'm tired of people whining about it. Covid-19 originated in China. There's nothing wrong with calling it a Chinese virus...

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Frankly, I'm tired of people whining about it. Covid-19 originated in China. There's nothing wrong with calling it a Chinese virus...

The World Health Organization disagrees:

WHO CRITICIZES STIGMATIZING LANGUAGE

At yesterday’s WHO COVID-19 press conference, a senior WHO official denounced the use of stigmatizing language and terminology with respect to COVID-19 and other diseases. Mike Ryan, Executive Director of the WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme, noted the importance of adhering to the accepted and appropriate terminology for infectious diseases in order to reduce the stigma and negative connotations for individuals and populations associated with slang terms. The comments follow recent pushback against the repeated use of unofficial and stigmatizing terms , including by US President Donald Trump. The official and accepted terms are SARS-CoV-2 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) when referring to the virus or infection and COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) when referring to the disease or symptoms. These terms were selected based on existing WHO guidance , which aims to reduce stigma associated with a particular place, group of people, animal, or others that was common under historical virus and disease naming practices that often referred to how or where they were first discovered.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

It's pretty obvious why he's referring to it as a Chinese virus... multiple reasons...

1. That's literally where it came from 

2. He knows the media are going to make a big deal over it and further exemplify why the media in this country is a propagandized joke

Why not call it the Wuhan virus like it was originally called by everyone? Really the virus is SARS 2 but no one wants to call it that, the disease is COVID-19

There's very obviously something intentional that he's doing there. He's looks like an ignorant dumbass to be honest.

34 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I read an article on how Africa is pretty well prepared for this kind of thing because of their experience with Ebola.

That makes some sense.  They're probably less liable to brush off a major outbreak as "no big deal".  

Every article I've read the last few days has been about the concern of health experts with their already strained healthcare system.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

To clarify, he called it THE Chinese Virus.  If you don’t get the derogatory intent, then there’s no point in continuing this discussion with you. If you do get it, but are okay with it then I’ll just have to smdh.  

• Plus1 1