The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

11 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I've heard from four different people with friends/family in the government to expect a nationwide lockdown with no travel or leaving home except for emergencies starting either monday or sometime early next week.

Was hoping it wouldn't have to come to that but if we could do that for 2-3 weeks to just eradicate it, like China seems to be getting closer to doing, it might be what we need to do.

COVID-19-Graphs-Roundup-Body-1-03112020.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Was hoping it wouldn't have to come to that but if we could do that for 2-3 weeks to just eradicate it, like China seems to be getting closer to doing, it might be what we need to do.

COVID-19-Graphs-Roundup-Body-1-03112020.

Agreed, I don't think we can avoid it at this point and they've been kind of getting us ready for that it seems with these little changes here and there so it's not as much of a shock to all of us. I can say that from a law enforcement perspective there are some changes I'm seeing at my level that lead me to believe that's going to happen in the future. No one has said "Hey this is happening on X date, " just a hunch of mine. 

8 hours ago, Landlord said:

I've heard from four different people with friends/family in the government to expect a nationwide lockdown with no travel or leaving home except for emergencies starting either monday or sometime early next week.

I’d imagine leaving home to get groceries would still be acceptable, right? If not, imagine the hysteria at the local super markets over the next few days. Be worse than it already is. 

11 hours ago, RedDenver said:

As you note, the rapid increase is primarily just finding the cases that were already out there but hadn't been confirmed. Also, the incubation period for the virus is 1-14 days with a mean time of 5 days, so what we'd see even with perfect testing would be a rough average of exposures from 5 days earlier. As social distancing and quarantines are enacted there will be a delay in seeing the results.

So it might not be accelerating.

It is accelerating. We did not enact distancing measures soon enough or strict enough. People were out en masse as late as this weekend. The new cases is concerning but what I'd be more concerned about is the new deaths. We are upping the ante faster than Italy did when they exploded over 100 deaths per day and beyond. I fear we will be there very soon and probably worse. The spread is similar or worse than Italy and our population is 5 times theirs. We won't see numbers level off for at least 2 weeks and likely longer because our social distancing measures as of today even are not strict enough. Bars and restaurants still open in Mississippi 

15 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

I’d imagine leaving home to get groceries would still be acceptable, right? If not, imagine the hysteria at the local super markets over the next few days. Be worse than it already is. 

Groceries will be considered essential travel 

Insider trading??  Including my long term senator.  Yet the public wasn't warned.  Should be prosecutions for this.  But they are GOPers so our AG has more important things to do - like chasing after Hunter Biden.

I agree wt AOC on this 100% - see below

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/richard-burr-kelly-loeffler-urged-to-resign-for-selling-stocks-after-coronavirus-briefing/

Loeffler, a freshman Georgia senator, sold as much as $3.1 million worth of stock from Jan. 24 — the day she attended a private coronavirus briefing — through Feb. 14, the Daily Beast reported Thursday. Loeffler — whose husband is chairman and CEO of the New York Stock Exchange — also reportedly bought shares in the tech firm Oracle and Citrix, which provides teleworking software.

Some Democratic officials said Burr and Loeffler should be investigated and potentially disciplined — or even face criminal charges — for the suspiciously timed transactions.

“Senator Burr should resign and prepare to spend some quality time with a federal grand jury,” tweeted Rep. Jared Huffman (D-Calif.).

“Senators Burr and Loeffler should be investigated by authorities and the Senate Ethics Committee,” former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro said on Twitter. “If the evidence suggests they engaged in insider trading, they should be charged and stand trial.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8132245/GOP-senator-gave-dire-coronavirus-warning-heeled-constituents-Capitol-Hill-social-club.html

Four senators dumped millions of dollars worth of stock while Capitol Hill was being briefed on the threat of coronavirus but before the markets tanked as infections soared, disclosure records have revealed. 

Republicans Richard Burr, Kelly Loeffler and James Inhofe and Democrat Dianne Feinstein collectively offloaded up to $11million in stock between late January and early February, according to records seen by The Daily BeastNew York Times and ProPublica

Burr, chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee that was directly briefed on coronavirus, sold up to $1.7million in stock including in hotels, according to reporting from ProPublica. 

Feinstein, a member of the same committee, sold up to $6million in stock including in a biotech firm.

26193202-8132245-image-a-85_158467732143

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

Lets unpack this...

• In 2012, Senator Burr was one of only three senators that voted against the STOCK Act, which explicitly barred lawmakers and their staff from using nonpublic information for trades and required regular disclosure of those trades.
  • Senator Loeffler assumed office on January 6, 2020 after having been appointed to the seat vacated by retiring Sen. Johnny Isakson.
  • Between then and January 23, she did not report a single stock transaction from accounts owned by her individually or by her and her husband jointly.
  • On January 24, 2020 the Senate Health Committee hosted a private, all-senators briefing from administration officials, including the CDC director and Anthony Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, on the coronavirus. 
  • On that day, Sen. Loeffler and her husband (Chairman and CEO of the New York Stock Exchange) began unloading stock.
  • From January 24 and Febuary 14, Loeffler sold off betrween $1,275,000 and $3,100,000 in stocks.

• First transaction, she sold between $50,001 and $100,000 in Resideo Technologies, which has fallen by more than half since then.

• One of Loeffler’s two purchases was between $100,000 and $250,000 in Citrix, teleworking software.

• Senator Burr is also Chairman of the Intel Committee and the Gang of 8, where he receives daily and more classified briefings.

• In a February 7 op-ed, he assured the public that “the United States today is better prepared than ever before to face emerging public health threats, like the coronavirus.” He wrote, “No matter the outbreak or threat, Congress and the federal government have been vigilant in identifying gaps in its readiness efforts and improving its response capabilities.”

• On February 13, he sold off a significant percentage of his stocks, unloading between $628,000 and $1.72 million in 33 separate transactions.

• For example, he dumped up to $150,000 worth of shares of Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, that has since lost two-thirds of its value. And he sold up to $100,000 of shares of Extended Stay America, which are now worth less than half of what they did at the time Burr sold.

• On February 27, in an exclusive pay-for event, Burr told attendees: "There’s one thing that I can tell you about this: It is much more aggressive in its transmission than anything that we have seen in recent history ... It is probably more akin to the 1918 pandemic.”

• On February 28, Loeffler tweeted: 

These two senators, and a few others identified, have profited off of this pandemic and their insider information while gaslighting America at the same time.

Remember when Donald Trump, Republicans, @Notre Dame Joe, et al pretended to care about corruption!?!

Can you imagine what the Trumps were doing behind the scenes!?!

On that note, fun fact:

• Thanks 4
  • Fire 1

Will Shields contributing in a big way

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Kansas-City-Chiefs-Nebraska-football-Will-Shields-donates-96000-meals-coronavirus-145215872/

As America digs in against coronavirus, a former Husker great is doing his part in Kansas City. 

According to a report by KMBC News in Kansas City, former Husker great Will Shields and his wife Senia have donated 96,000 meals to families impacted by the coronavirus. 

Shields announced Thursday that through the Will to Succeed Foundation he is donating 96,000 meals to Harvesters and the Food Pantry at Jewish Family Services. Harvesters is a regional foodbank that serves a 26-county area in northwestern Missouri and northeastern Kansas. 

Will to Succeed will provide funding for 60,000 meals through Harvesters and 36,000 through Jewish Family Services, which is a partner organization with Harvesters.

“At times like these it is so important we come together as a team to help keep people fed,” Shields said in the report. “We’re asking former Kansas City Chiefs players, local businesses and current and former elected officials to join in efforts helping out fellow citizens during these unprecedented times.”

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

It is accelerating. We did not enact distancing measures soon enough or strict enough. People were out en masse as late as this weekend. The new cases is concerning but what I'd be more concerned about is the new deaths. We are upping the ante faster than Italy did when they exploded over 100 deaths per day and beyond. I fear we will be there very soon and probably worse. The spread is similar or worse than Italy and our population is 5 times theirs. We won't see numbers level off for at least 2 weeks and likely longer because our social distancing measures as of today even are not strict enough. Bars and restaurants still open in Mississippi 

You are probably correct, but you're estimating that the virus spread is accelerating. The testing numbers don't telling us for sure right now because it's impossible to separate the newly infected from those who have been infected for a while due to the lack of testing. I'm cautioning against statements of certainty when the evidence is uncertain.

• Plus1 1