The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't know if it would be so different, to be honest. I believe many of the most important restrictions could be applied pretty amicably in a nationwide emergency i.e. a complete shut down of non-essential businesses and a shelter-in-place order. Boston announced a shut down of non-essential businesses today through Apr. 7, but they're including quite a lot in the 'essential businesses' category including restaurants for takeout only. You're also allowed to go to grocery stores, get gas, etc.

I think until we can get mass testing and have an understanding of where we really are with this thing a nation wide shelter in place is absolutely necessary. Once we get caught up with testing and everything we can loosen restrictions on areas that aren't having issues with this but we can't know where those places are right now with the amount of testing we have done.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

I don't know if it would be so different, to be honest. I believe many of the most important restrictions could be applied pretty amicably in a nationwide emergency i.e. a complete shut down of non-essential businesses and a shelter-in-place order. Boston announced a shut down of non-essential businesses today through Apr. 7, but they're including quite a lot in the 'essential businesses' category including restaurants for takeout only. You're also allowed to go to grocery stores, get gas, etc.

Look at Lombardy Italy, 1/6 the population and 65% of the fatalities. Different communities are going to get hit harder. But I agree in a sense, let’s not have non essential businesses requiring people to go to work. Let’s have as many people work from home that we can, let’s definitely put an emphasis on acquiring more PPE for our healthcare workers, hospitals should be putting protocols into place for ventilator usage. This is gonna suck, we’re gonna get punched in the mouth, gotta take the blow and move forward - we’re gonna get through this. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Redux said:

Here's the problem with testing.  Unless it's done in home where you're being quarantined, you're exposing yourself to people who do have it on their way to or from being tested.

Not to and from while in your own car. South Korea did massive numbers of drive-through testing for that very reason. The US is starting to get drive-through testing up and running.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I was beginning to think about this over the weekend.  This is going to be the point where s#!t hits the fan.

I agree, I just saw a tweet that said he's considering loosening countermeasures like social distancing because conservatives around him are getting nervous the economic damage is too severe.

That seems sure to make combating the spread, keeping us healthy and flattening the curve worse. And of lot of what's going on the with the markets can't be fixed in isolation - it is being steered by concerns about how we will address the public health crisis.

But it would be the ultimate Trump move, though: short-sighted, contradicting expert advise and almost assuredly to boost his own re-election odds.

My wife found some plans on one of our local hospitals website to make masks via sewing. She went to the local fabric store and got the materials needed.  She's been working for several days now making these masks for some healthcare workers and my entire police department! These masks can be washed since they're fabric and since they're on the hospitals website I can only assume they work. If we could get thousands of other folks that have this skill to make masks it could help so much and since they're washable they'd cut down on waste too. 

And I'll add that they can be used as a last resort as a mask themselves or as a cover for the N-95 masks so they can be used longer. 

• Plus1 6
6 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

My wife found some plans on one of our local hospitals website to make masks via sewing. She went to the local fabric store and got the materials needed.  She's been working for several days now making these masks for some healthcare workers and my entire police department! These masks can be washed since they're fabric and since they're on the hospitals website I can only assume they work. If we could get thousands of other folks that have this skill to make masks it could help so much and since they're washable they'd cut down on waste too. 

From what I understand, cloth masks can stop you from infecting others but don't protect you from infection. I could be wrong but that's what I was reading.That's where the N95 masks come into play. I am reading that many are putting cloth masks over N95s to elongate usage of the N95s. That said the cloth masks are still a great tool to utilize if anything to keep essential workers in their posts without as much risk of infecting others 

• Fire 1

28 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Costs vs. benefits. 

Read and learn. 

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/03/costs-versus-benefits.php

9 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Bergstrom deconstructed. 

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/03/dueling-arguments-about-wuhan-coronavirus-data.php

I also note that many of the critics of the Medium post want it censored. Whatever happened to free speech? 

powerline is a right-wing blog that's known for science denial, not a good source when talking about a pandemic.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/power-line/

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Redux said:

CBS just said "there has been an 830% increase of cases!"

No s#!t.....that's what happens when you have testing.

I'm sure they prefaced it with the information about increased testing. The numbers are going to be very muddy for another week I would guess. It's great that people are being tested, but it's going to make it hard to tell what's really happening for a bit.

Michigan is officially under a Stay-At-Home order after midnight tonight.

My fiance had a bunch of PTO she had to use the last couple weeks. She's going in for her first ICU shift this week since this blew up. Her floor doesn't have any COVID patients, but we're both still nervous. We'll probably stay away from each other as best we can in our little condo for awhile. s#!t sucks...