The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I can't speak to your perspective during the last 4-5 years, but I've seen this done to his face. I've seen reporters directly contradict him in person and not ask open-ended questions. It even happened during the debates. The moderators directly called him out on his BS in front of millions of people.

It didn't seem to matter that much then.

If anything, it would make the Trump supporters defend him even more, because "he's being attacked by fake news!"

• Plus1 1

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

If anything, it would make the Trump supporters defend him even more, because "he's being attacked by fake news!"

We can't not call out the Donald Trumps of the world because deluded people won't see truth. That's how you end up with more Donald Trumps.

46 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Interesting. To be honest, I agree and disagree. I see what you're saying, but another part of me thinks that as deplorable as the president has been, and can be, he is still the president. Ignoring or limiting his voice during this time would (in my opinion) be received more negatively than positively.

He is 'the' face of the country whether we like it or not. His administration is controlling the message on the national level; or, should I say, trying to control the message.

Admittedly, I tend to be a media apologist, but I like to think I'm open to criticizing them when its warranted. Calling this an abject failure on their behalf when people have been blatantly ignoring honest reporting since before he was president puts too much blame on the media and not enough responsibility on people as citizens.

This is a good take.

The media can only do so much. And even then, they will still leave a lot of people unsatisfied and feeling like they're not doing things correctly.

But at some point we've got to just say people are going to believe what they choose to believe and that media can only shape their opinions so much. Or rather, people draw from different media sources on purpose, and those sources they choose are inexorably linked to how they perceive the world and our politics.

Also there are those who choose to heed Trump's edict to just disregard legitimate media whatsoever and dive face first into outright propaganda which only serves to tell them things they want to hear and confirm their existing biases. 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Saying "I don't blame Trump for people being stupid" in response to the chloroquine deaths, is the same as saying "People who listen to Trump are stupid."

There's really no way around that. It's stupid to listen to Trump.

Now if the people defending Trump by saying it's not his fault people died to chloroquine would all realize the above, this world will be a much better place in January.

Yeah, I don’t typically have much compassion for stupid people. And there’s a lot of stupid to go around on this one. Why listen to Trump? Why ingest an aquarium chemical? Why not realize that stupid people elected and support Trump and that it is disingenuous to defend Trump by calling his supporters, and people that listen to him, stupid? Yep, plenty to go around.

This thought just struck me. It’s hard to imagine how the US could possibly be in worse hands dealing with this pandemic than we are with Trump. Really. I’d like to see the plausible scenario that makes Trump look capable, concerned, compassionate and even remotely equipped to not totally f#ck this up. He did some of the right things for a couple days (too little too late) and now he seems intent on reversing any shred of the few things that made any sense. Literally the stupidest, most corrupt, most narcissistic person I’ve ever had the displeasure to see waste oxygen on this planet.

• Plus1 1