The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

For the people who think once warm weather is here it will all go away because, you know, the stable genius in the White House said so. 

It hasn’t been cold in Louisiana. 

It hasn't been cold at all. I'm an hour away and it's been hot actually the past week or so 

Trump’s latest message about the US being “open” for Easter is another pandering to his “Christian-constituents”. He wants to be able to say “I wanted you all to get together, but the doctors and the local governments wouldn’t allow it”.

Hopefully individual church leaders are smart enough to not have in-person services for the foreseeable future. There are other ways to worship during Lent/Easter. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Trump’s latest message about the US being “open” for Easter is another pandering to his “Christian-constituents”. He wants to be able to say “I wanted you all to get together, but the doctors and the local governments wouldn’t allow it”.

Hopefully individual church leaders are smart enough to not have in-person services for the foreseeable future. There are other ways to worship during Lent/Easter. 

I'm not really religious anymore, and our current situation kind of solidifies it for me.

But one of my favorite college pastors had a FB a message something like the following:   "Now that churches are closed, it's time to show we were never about the building, but the people."

My hope is that he is right.  If so, then my question would be, once this is over, why are you going back?  Why do you need to waste money on these huge auditoriums when the money could just as easily be spent on service?

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, funhusker said:

I'm not really religious anymore, and our current situation kind of solidifies it for me.

But one of my favorite college pastors had a FB a message something like the following:   "Now that churches are closed, it's time to show we were never about the building, but the people."

My hope is that he is right.  If so, then my question would be, once this is over, why are you going back?  Why do you need to waste money on these huge auditoriums when the money could just as easily be spent on service?

Well, I'm not Christian either, but having a community with a community center is a heck of a lot easier way to maintain cohesiveness than just randomly getting together at various places. 

Churches don't need to be palaces, and there's a conversation to be had about ostentatious displays of wealth in churches, but a decent, well-maintained and clean facility to hold worship, classroom instruction and social events (like weddings or funerals or potlucks) isn't unreasonable.

• Plus1 1