The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Just now, schriznoeder said:

There are hundreds of studies out there (some reliable and some not), but this one is definitely intriguing...

I read that and it seems VERY speculative. Not much evidence to back up their hypothesis, just tweaking numbers in the math models.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Trump’s latest message about the US being “open” for Easter is another pandering to his “Christian-constituents”. He wants to be able to say “I wanted you all to get together, but the doctors and the local governments wouldn’t allow it”.

Hopefully individual church leaders are smart enough to not have in-person services for the foreseeable future. There are other ways to worship during Lent/Easter. 

Several pastors in the South continue to lead full church services. If you've already bought into "God's Will" you don't need to explain yourself or defend your actions. 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I would watch a "How It's Made" on the retooling of those production lines. That can't be just plug-and-play changes.  Some decent engineering problems probably have to be solved.

I would too.  As someone who works in manufacturing and production lines, I can't imagine what it takes to do that quickly.

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Several pastors in the South continue to lead full church services. If you've already bought into "God's Will" you don't need to explain yourself or defend your actions. 

I saw a New Orleans pastor is leading services with over 1,000 people.  He says they are following social distancing, but that is such a terrible idea, especially given that New Orleans has one of the highest rates of the illness per 1 million people.

EDIT:  I guess it's not surprising for pastors to try and lead full church services, they have to keep bringing in that tax-free money for themselves.

• Plus1 2

23 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I would watch a "How It's Made" on the retooling of those production lines. That can't be just plug-and-play changes.  Some decent engineering problems probably have to be solved.

Probably a few weeks for designs and buyoffs, then a couple more to get tools and dies to actually manufactur the parts with (this is actually the longest lead item, could be a month or two in some cases). Then a couple more for tryouts and approval. It definitely wouldn't be plug and play.

That's best case, hitting all home runs with no hicups. Also, assuming they save a lot of time by using prototype tools out of aluminum instead of steel. It'll make just as good of parts, but it's much quicker to cut the blocks into what they need. Only down side is they don't last as long as steel tools and dies, but you won't be needing these for 100K cars a year...

My job right now isn't basically managing our supply base and we do things similar to this all the time.

14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I read that and it seems VERY speculative. Not much evidence to back up their hypothesis, just tweaking numbers in the math models.

Oh, for sure - VERY speculative. It'll be really interesting to see the true numbers of past infections once the blood tests for antibodies are up and running.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, schriznoeder said:

Oh, for sure - VERY speculative. It'll be really interesting to see the true numbers of past infections once the blood tests for antibodies are up and running.

Yeah I think their point is, until we get antibody testing, we have no clue. This could be everywhere, or it could just be where we’re looking. Lockout is good for now, but in order to get to the next phase, we will need mass testing and antibody testing. 

• Plus1 2

47 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Maggie Haberman with a rare fact-check on the Cheeto.

Yup we had a patient yesterday who had all symptoms plus O2 level of 93% and a history of asthma. We called health dept to see if he could get tested and they told us he isnt in the high risk category so send him home and self quarantine. Its such BS. O2 under 95% is not good. 

• Thanks 1

Speaking of UNMC, they put out an “URGENT NEED” for masks and gloves.

Omaha Public Schools sent a district-wide request to all their nurses yesterday to retrieve every last one from their respective offices for immediate donation by 10:30 this morning.

I went with my wife to her school to help her collect 4,500 gloves and 500 masks.

Some longtime nurses reported as many as 50 boxes in their storage.

This will help UNMC’s immediate need and hints to me that these schools won’t be reopening this semester. (Principal was only person at the school and said he would be asking students to return within the week to pack all their belongings/empty their lockers.)

• Plus1 1