The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

6 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

I see it first hand every day, people are NOT being tested. UNMC only tests 10 people per day according to the health dept. 

Ia that because the equipment needed to actually run the test is in short supply though?

1 minute ago, Redux said:

Ia that because the equipment needed to actually run the test is in short supply though?

Yes there are not enough tests...unless you are rich or important enough apparently. So Trump is lying when he says we are testing more than anyone in the world. Its BS. The health dept is a joke. Telling us to send people home with antibiotics. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Frott Scost said:

Yes there are not enough tests...unless you are rich or important enough apparently. So Trump is lying when he says we are testing more than anyone in the world. Its BS. The health dept is a joke. Telling us to send people home with antibiotics. 

We've conducted about 300,000 tests, the vast majority of them in the past few days, and that would bring us close to what South Korea is doing. But while that raw number is close, it's not really relevant because of the population difference.

Like you're saying, people who want to be tested cannot get tested. There simply aren't enough tests available yet, nor are there facilities up and running to conduct those tests. 

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, Redux said:

So who is accurate, Trump or Reporter thst works for CNN?

I really don't "know" in this case.

But if I were putting down a wager, I have no doubt who I'd put my money on.

Edit:  https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/24/820981710/fact-check-u-s-testing-still-isnt-close-to-what-south-korea-has-done

"But South Korea has a population of just 51 million people; the United States has 327 million.

At about 300,000 tests in each country, that means South Korea has tested 1-in-170 people; the United States: 1-in-1,090.

That's more than six times less, per capita, than South Korea."

20 minutes ago, Redux said:

Okay,so let's put this into perspective.  I assume Trump is talking about per capita...

South Korea has tested SIX TIMES more than the US per capita. 

Why would anyone assume Donald Trump is being truthful?

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, QMany said:

Or look for ways to defend him?  I mean, if he's obviously being slandered then an reasonable person should defend that. But this isn't what's happening, so...?

Also, for the record, Maggie Haberman works for the New York Times and is one of Trump's buddies in the New York press. She has gotten exclusive interviews with him throughout his career, including in the White House, and has been called out for enabling him about a thousand billion jillion times.

3 minutes ago, QMany said:

South Korea has tested SIX TIMES more than the US per capita. 

On top of that, because they tested so thoroughly from the start, the potential need for massive amounts of future tests won't be as necessary.  That's the point of using testing effectively to "flatten the curve".

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Trump's probably on the phone right now trying to buy England.

And he will proclaim his administration has done an "incredible' job of discovering that antibody.

all of his boasting during those press conferences just make me sick.  Always promoting himself even during the worse of times.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

And he will proclaim his administration has done an "incredible' job of discovering that antibody.

all of his boasting during those press conferences just make me sick.  Always promoting himself even during the worse of times.

isn't it impressive the way he can blow himself every chance he gets?  

• Plus1 1