The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 minutes ago, QMany said:

Daily reminder, Trump is a cult. 

Besides their trust in Trump for the COVID-19 data, it's amazing how they go to their religious leaders for information on a global health pandemic.  I understand faith is important to many people, but how are religious leaders going to be experts on the Coronavirus?

22 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I really don't "know" in this case.

But if I were putting down a wager, I have no doubt who I'd put my money on.

Edit:  https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/24/820981710/fact-check-u-s-testing-still-isnt-close-to-what-south-korea-has-done

"But South Korea has a population of just 51 million people; the United States has 327 million.

At about 300,000 tests in each country, that means South Korea has tested 1-in-170 people; the United States: 1-in-1,090.

That's more than six times less, per capita, than South Korea."

Serious question ... from most of these posts ... it appears that people believe that testing is a cure to this virus?

Now, I've got a Masters degree, but my brain can't compute what the hysteria is over the need to get tested.  The test provides no cure to the illness.  

From what I understand, we have had 728 deaths from this virus ... and we have shut down the entire country except for basic, basic services.  What else do folks want?   

I was talking to a lady this morning on Facebook who lives in South Africa, this is how she is dressed today [attached a pic].  As I counseled her on her fear, I was puzzled to discover that in her country 700 have been tested positive with ZERO deaths.  Quite a "pandemic", isn't it!?????

Here is a post where I communicated my thoughts on Facebook.  It's the only post I've made on the topic.  I thought I'd share it here as well.  All the best to my fellow Huskerboard members ... 

728 ... that's the number as of now. 728 people have died in America from the Corona Virus.

THAT, my friends, is really good, amazing news! You would think that we have a pandemic on our hands and a real "Walking Dead" situation occurring. By my count, we have 674,272 more deaths to endure to get to the real pandemic of the Spanish Flu that killed 675,000 Americans. There was just over 103 million people in America then in 1917, verses the 328 million now. So, with three times more people, we have a long ways to go to get to a real pandemic. The math on that would mean that we would need to reach 1,800,225,000 deaths to mirror the Spanish Flu.

As is usually, no stat of truth means that these lives lost don't have value. They have incredible value ... just keepin' it all in perspective.

So today, I'm going to compare these 728 that died in the month of March to the lives/stats of a few other situations/circumstances:

Swine Flu - 60 million Americans were infected, 300,000 hospitalized and 4,000 died [anyone remember this back in 2012?]

Flu - Between 12,000 - 61,000 die each year [yawn ...].

Digestive Disease - 25,000 a year on average [um, never heard of this].

Abortion - 500,000 - 600,000 a year, roughly 50,000 each month [it's a Mom's choice and right ya know].

Thus, amidst whatever "pandemic" or "political" viewpoint one wants to look at the Corona Virus at ... in relation to what happens day in and day out ... 728 lives in one month is certainly no "pandemic" or anything worth getting fearful over or losing sleep over.

This is not meant to hurt or harm ... just keepin' it real ... and maybe other sane minds can relate.  If not ... flush this read.  May each of us not live with a spirit of fear ... but rather a spirit of love, empowered by a Higher Spirit with a controlled and sound mind during these days of calamity.  May your spirit, body and soul find peace and rest in whatever truth makes good sense to you.

I'll end with a clip that describes this situation to me ... 

PS.  I'll treat this thread as I do Huskerboard after a loss now ... bye  :-)  

tumi fear.jpg

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Besides their trust in Trump for the COVID-19 data, it's amazing how they go to their religious leaders for information on a global health pandemic.  I understand faith is important to many people, but how are religious leaders going to be experts on the Coronavirus?

Also, how can 90% trust Trump AND 84% trust the CDC at the same time!?!

Half of every presser is Dr. Fauci walking back Trump's lies. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Serious question ... from most of these posts ... it appears that people believe that testing is a cure to this virus?

Now, I've got a Masters degree, but my brain can't compute what the hysteria is over the need to get tested.  The test provides no cure to the illness.  

From what I understand, we have had 728 deaths from this virus ... and we have shut down the entire country except for basic, basic services.  What else do folks want?   

I was talking to a lady this morning on Facebook who lives in South Africa, this is how she is dressed today [attached a pic].  As I counseled her on her fear, I was puzzled to discover that in her country 700 have been tested positive with ZERO deaths.  Quite a "pandemic", isn't it!?????

Here is a post where I communicated my thoughts on Facebook.  It's the only post I've made on the topic.  I thought I'd share it here as well.  All the best to my fellow Huskerboard members ... 

728 ... that's the number as of now. 728 people have died in America from the Corona Virus.

THAT, my friends, is really good, amazing news! You would think that we have a pandemic on our hands and a real "Walking Dead" situation occurring. By my count, we have 674,272 more deaths to endure to get to the real pandemic of the Spanish Flu that killed 675,000 Americans. There was just over 103 million people in America then in 1917, verses the 328 million now. So, with three times more people, we have a long ways to go to get to a real pandemic. The math on that would mean that we would need to reach 1,800,225,000 deaths to mirror the Spanish Flu.

As is usually, no stat of truth means that these lives lost don't have value. They have incredible value ... just keepin' it all in perspective.

So today, I'm going to compare these 728 that died in the month of March to the lives/stats of a few other situations/circumstances:

Swine Flu - 60 million Americans were infected, 300,000 hospitalized and 4,000 died [anyone remember this back in 2012?]

Flu - Between 12,000 - 61,000 die each year [yawn ...].

Digestive Disease - 25,000 a year on average [um, never heard of this].

Abortion - 500,000 - 600,000 a year, roughly 50,000 each month [it's a Mom's choice and right ya know].

Thus, amidst whatever "pandemic" or "political" viewpoint one wants to look at the Corona Virus at ... in relation to what happens day in and day out ... 728 lives in one month is certainly no "pandemic" or anything worth getting fearful over or losing sleep over.

This is not meant to hurt or harm ... just keepin' it real ... and maybe other sane minds can relate.  If not ... flush this read.  May each of us not live with a spirit of fear ... but rather a spirit of love, empowered by a Higher Spirit with a controlled and sound mind during these days of calamity.  May your spirit, body and soul find peace and rest in whatever truth makes good sense to you.

I'll end with a clip that describes this situation to me ... 

tumi fear.jpg

The point of getting everyone testing is so they can be properly diagnosed, isloted, and cared for; to prevent further spread of the disease. It has absolutely nothing to do with a cure, and no one here is even close to thinking that.

You're trying to compare years old data for the swine flu with a virus that hasn't even hit it's peak in the US. The current fact of the matter is that this virus is more highly contagious than the other you listed. That fact alone should be scary, because this is a new virus that no one has immunity to. When combined with current diseases we know, and expect, COVID-19 has the potential to overwhelm our healthcare system. Hospitals are literally on the verge of running out of ventilators right now. Do you not see what's happening in Italy???

But yes, we should try to remain calm and go about life as close we can to normal given the circumstances. But we should respect the potential this disease has and not diminish it, or people will not take this seriously enough to curve the spread.

• Plus1 4
10 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

On the first part: no one here thinks the test is the cure, no one at all.  The point of testing to keep it from spreading.

As the second part: I don't feel like explaining this any more in depth because you apparently won't even bother reading about it.

• Plus1 5
7 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

This is an incorrect assumption.

Testing is a means to see what we're dealing with.  It's the intelligence we need to understand where to put the resources so they're most effective for the most people in the shortest amount of time.  We're in a dark room full of sharp edges - testing is our flashlight.

9 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I'm not really sure where you're going with this.  Your math is way wrong, and that's coming from a guy whose claim to fame on HuskerBoard is that I'm terrible at math.

If you've been looking at this thread AT ALL you've had to see the charts explaining how epidemics grow exponentially. This virus is more easily spread than the flu. We're going to see WAY more infections in the next several weeks from this because of two things: More people will get it, and more people will be diagnosed. 

Frankly, with all we know, this is a baffling post.  What's your point?

• Plus1 6
16 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I have not seen anyone claim the test is the cure.  But, as @ZRod pointed out, you don't know who to isolate unless they are tested.  Another part of the testing that I've seen discussed (but don't know how developed it is) is that of seeing who has a buildup already of antibodies.  If you had a mild case, didn't know it and got over it, then chances are you have a build up of antibodies, thus immune, and you should be able to go about your business without the fear of getting it yourself.  However, you probably would be able to transmit it to someone else.

But....none of that is known without testing.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I was thinking the CNN reporter would have access to verifiable statistics...and should have included them if they proved her point that the orange man was lying 

She's not from CNN. And she explained it in subsequent tweets. You didn't happen to click on the link and read that thread, did you?

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

The point of getting everyone testing is so they can be properly diagnosed, isloted, and cared for; to prevent further spread of the disease. It has absolutely nothing to do with a cure, and no one here is even close to thinking that.

You're trying to compare years old data with a virus that hasn't even hit it's peak in the US. The current fact of the matter is that this virus is more highly contagious than the other you listed. That fact alone should be scary, because this is a new virus that no one has immunity to. When combined with current diseases we know and expect COVID-19 has the potential to overwhelm our healthcare system. Hospitals are literally on the verge of running out of ventilators right now. Do you not see what's happening in Italy???

But yes, we should try to remain calm and go about life as close we can to normal given the circumstances. But we should respect the potential this disease has and not diminish it, are people will not take this seriously enough to curve the spread.

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

On the first part: no one here thinks the test is the cure, no one at all.  The point of testing to keep it from spreading.

As the second part: I don't feel like explaining this any more in depth because you apparently won't even bother reading about it.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

This is an incorrect assumption.

Testing is a means to see what we're dealing with.  It's the intelligence we need to understand where to put the resources so they're most effective for the most people in the shortest amount of time.  We're in a dark room full of sharp edges - testing is our flashlight.

I'm not really sure where you're going with this.  Your math is way wrong, and that's coming from a guy whose claim to fame on HuskerBoard is that I'm terrible at math.

If you've been looking at this thread AT ALL you've had to see the charts explaining how epidemics grow exponentially. This virus is more easily spread than the flu. We're going to see WAY more infections in the next several weeks from this because of two things: More people will get it, and more people will be diagnosed. 

Frankly, with all we know, this is a baffling post.  What's your point?

From these responses, it appears you guys think that all the psychic energy in New York is like a twinkie.  Here's my 2,000 word essay based off this false assumption.

Don't bother responding, I won't be here to read it.  Bye :D

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

She's not from CNN. And she explained it in subsequent tweets. You didn't happen to click on the link and read that thread, did you?

sorry...NYT. but that's just semantics. My point remains why not post the actual stats? and no, I am on a work computer with no Twitter, so I didn't. Please, if you could, give me the cliffnotes version. I see reference to the actual numbers in other posts...but no summary

pops in...compares the very beginning of a pandemic to the full course of a previous pandemic.  proclaims everyone is overreacting because the current pandemic in 2 weeks hasn't killed as many as the entire course of time in the previous stated pandemic..    then runs away scared that someone might point out how wrong he is  .   .  

• Plus1 6