The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Well, that doesn't seem right. Trump is always so precise with numbers.

Remember his inauguration, where he didn't fudge the size of the crowds at all?

Or death toll in Puerto Rico from hurricane Maria. Very accurate with numbers

• Plus1 2

43 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Steph Curry is doing a livestream with Dr. Fauci today.

I do think my generation (Millennials) is taking this seriously for the most part, but stuff like that will help educate. 

I've experienced much more ignorance with the older generations. My (diabetic) dad in KC is out and about. My Omaha law firm partners that make the decisions still downplay it as a hoax and have all our staff (including a 90 year old receptionist) in every day, while me and most of my vintage attorneys are working from home.

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

These guys seem like experts and ultimately I think they are right but I wonder how the 'on' switch would be activated. It says no more than 37.5 cases per 10,000, that's around 1.2 million cases. First of all, that seems like alot considering we are barely handling 50,000 cases. Secondly, when would you activate the distancing? When we reach this number? Because at that point alot more are actually infected than that number and they won't show for up to 14 days. Is that taken into account? 

There's also the problem of how long any immunity from getting the disease lasts. Other coronaviruses have had immunity that lasted as little as a year, but people who recovered from SARS had much longer immunity. Then there's the chance that the virus will mutate taking away any immunity. And the more people who get infected, the more chances for a problematic mutation.

How likely is this virus to mutate?
It seems it already has.

This graph represents the different mutations of the virus. You can see that the initial strains started in purple in China and then spread. Each time you see a branching on the left graph, that is a mutation leading to a slightly different variant of the virus.

0*9Ggoj59CoRvLNjzH

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

There's also the problem of how long any immunity from getting the disease lasts. Other coronaviruses have had immunity that lasted as little as a year, but people who recovered from SARS had much longer immunity. Then there's the chance that the virus will mutate taking away any immunity. And the more people who get infected, the more chances for a problematic mutation.

0*9Ggoj59CoRvLNjzH

Had not seen that mutation chart yet, thanks for sharing. I've been seeing a misconception out there that this is NOT mutating. The opposite seems to be true. Do viruses usually mutate this quickly, is this a normal thing? 

Edit: another question you may not have the answer to, but is it also possible some gene structures for mutated versions of COVID 19 could go undetected in a test? 

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Trump's entire political career is based on spreading false, deceptive and misleading information about his opponents.  This is a hoot!

And the threat of "consequences."  Like... what?  A lawsuit that will never see the inside of a courtroom?

If I were a TV station that received this letter, I'd play that ad once per hour, on the house.

That letter is absurd. It's literally just audio of Trump speaking! Not sure how that could be false, deceptive or  misleading.

Found another good ad this morning.

• Thanks 2