The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Had not seen that mutation chart yet, thanks for sharing. I've been seeing a misconception out there that this is NOT mutating. The opposite seems to be true. Do viruses usually mutate this quickly, is this a normal thing? 

Edit: another question you may not have the answer to, but is it also possible some gene structures for mutated versions of COVID 19 could go undetected in a test? 

Research has showed it’s a very slow mutater, unlike the flu. And vaccines would be very effective. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Sadly, I think this is correct.

And I think we're going to see Trump wringing his hands in a few weeks talking about this terrible tragedy that's unfolding that we just couldn't do anything about.

That's kinda where I'm at with it. He can say what he wants but when the numbers keep going up and up there will be nothing he can do 

Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

Research has showed it’s a very slow mutater, unlike the flu. And vaccines would be very effective. 

Good to know though we are talking about a herd immunity approach. I'd assume slow mutation means better chance we can slowly build a herd immunity? Or is that not how it works and 1 mutation can throw everything off? 

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Good to know though we are talking about a herd immunity approach. I'd assume slow mutation means better chance we can slowly build a herd immunity? Or is that not how it works and 1 mutation can throw everything off? 

Here’s the discussion I found on it, no discussion on immunity, they focused on vaccine. But they seem to think it’s a double edged sword, low mutations is good for vaccine, but generally the virus would mutate to become less deadly, so less likely we get that. 

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, QMany said:

Steph Curry is doing a livestream with Dr. Fauci today.

I do think my generation (Millennials) is taking this seriously for the most part, but stuff like that will help educate. 

I've experienced much more ignorance with the older generations. My (diabetic) dad in KC is out and about. My Omaha law firm partners that make the decisions still downplay it as a hoax and have all our staff (including a 90 year old receptionist) in every day, while me and most of my vintage attorneys are working from home.

Please tell me that have made it clear to her that she at least has the "option" to not come in....

4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Here’s the discussion I found on it, no discussion on immunity, they focused on vaccine. But they seem to think it’s a double edged sword, low mutations is good for vaccine, but generally the virus would mutate to become less deadly, so less likely we get that. 

Very interesting information, thank you for sharing! Hopefully slow mutating also means better chance of immunity at least for 12 months. That will be a helpful containment tool 

17 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Very interesting information, thank you for sharing! Hopefully slow mutating also means better chance of immunity at least for 12 months. That will be a helpful containment tool 

Check out that subreddit when you have a minute. All research articles, they leave politics out of it. Great discussion 

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Sadly, I think this is correct.

And I think we're going to see Trump wringing his hands in a few weeks talking about this terrible tragedy that's unfolding that we just couldn't do anything about.

i think you are optimistic if you think he will say we couldn't do anything about it.  he will throw blame around like he always does IMO.   there can be no trace of any blame that can stick with him...it is someone else.....always   he did all he could...it's all the democrats fault. they derailed all his efforts.

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, commando said:

i think you are optimistic if you think he will say we couldn't do anything about it.  he will throw blame around like he always does IMO.   there can be no trace of any blame that can stick with him...it is someone else.....always   he did all he could...it's all the democrats fault. they derailed all his efforts.

Trump has already placed the blame where he thinks it should be.  The previous admin left us unprepared per his recent statements. 

Notwithstanding Trump has

1  been in office 3 years,

2  disbanded the pandemic response team,

3  shut down the office in China that Obama had established to monitor these very situations,

4   was slow to respond,

5  called it a hoax,

6  said it would be over in weeks

7  been the most useless 'leader' ever as a president in a major crisis

8 lives in a state of denial and invites his cult followers to follow him off the cliff

9 is exposing us to greater harm with his 'rosy forecast'  of opening up everything by Easter

10 etc and etc

source.gif

source.gif

• Plus1 3

Everyone be safe out there.   Trump is in denial land if he thinks churches and businesses can be open

at the height of the infection in April.  He is really placing everyone in danger with his talk. 

https://news.yahoo.com/us-virus-deaths-may-top-80-000-despite-161924116.html

Paris (AFP) - COVID-19 could lead to more than 80,000 deaths in the US and overwhelm hospital capacity nationally as soon as early April even if social distancing measures are respected, new research showed Thursday.

The US death toll for the pandemic has already soared past 1,000, with 68,000 confirmed infections.

Forecasters at the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington's School of Medicine analysed the latest COVID-19 data at a local, national and international level.

These include hospitalisation and mortality rates, as well as patient date in terms of age, gender and pre-existing health problems.

Specifically, they looked at the time lag between the first fatal cases and public interventions such as shuttering schools and businesses.

They then looked at each American state's ICU bed and ventilator capacity.

The analysis warned that based on current trends, demand for both would far exceed capacity for COVID-19 patients as early as the second week of April.

During the epidemic peak -- also set for some point in April -- as many as 2,300 patients could die every day, according to the IHME models.

This was the case even if the population adhered to strict social distancing measures.

"Our estimated trajectory of COVID-19 deaths assumes continued and uninterrupted vigilance by the general public, hospital workers, and government agencies," said Christopher Murray, IHME director.

"The trajectory of the pandemic will change -- and dramatically for the worse -- if people ease up on social distancing or relax with other precautions."

The analysis estimated that approximately 81,000 people in the US will die from the virus over the coming four months.

Estimates ranged between 38,000 and more than 160,000.

It forecast that a total of 41 US states will need more ICU beds than are currently available and that 12 states may need to increase their capacity by 50 percent or more to accommodate patient needs.