The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

37 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Don't use The Federalist as a source for anything.

Overall, we rate The Federalist a borderline Questionable and far Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that always favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the promotion pseudoscience and three failed fact checks.

For those wondering, I do not subscribe to, nor follow the Federalist, and their right wing bias makes it an untenable source for me. I merely was trying to illustrate that there are a lot of other opinions out there that are not Chicken Little "The Sky is Falling" trying to outdo each other with horrific numbers and scenarios daily.

Also, if you look, there is skepticism regarding the Imperial College  New London  model/theory that most reports are based on.  Is the Wall Street Journal a more acceptable source?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-coronavirus-as-deadly-as-they-say-11585088464

29 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

For those wondering, I do not subscribe to, nor follow the Federalist, and their right wing bias makes it an untenable source for me. I merely was trying to illustrate that there are a lot of other opinions out there that are not Chicken Little "The Sky is Falling" trying to outdo each other with horrific numbers and scenarios daily.

Also, if you look, there is skepticism regarding the Imperial College  New London  model/theory that most reports are based on.  Is the Wall Street Journal a more acceptable source?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-coronavirus-as-deadly-as-they-say-11585088464

There are. But the only valid opinions are those based on facts. 

I can have the opinion the sun rises in the west. That doesn't make it so.

The best thing we can do is listen to the experts, remain calm, continue to practice good hygiene and social distancing, and hope for a medical breakthrough. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Question....and, this hasn't happened, but it did cross my mind.

So....if we have an employee who is self quarantining, we are paying him/her while they do that for two weeks.  We actually decided to do that before it was actually required.

But, here's my question.  What if we find out that person is not self quarantining and simply saying they are so they can stay off work and get paid?  Let's say they are seen out in public doing non essential things or his/her coworkers find out from them they aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing (staying home)?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So....if we have an employee who is self quarantining, we are paying him/her while they do that for two weeks.  We actually decided to do that before it was actually required.

But, here's my question.  What if we find out that person is not self quarantining and simply saying they are so they can stay off work and get paid?  Let's say they are seen out in public doing non essential things or his/her coworkers find out from them they aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing (staying home)?

See if they have a reasonable explanation. If not, what would you normally do with an employee who abuses sick leave?

• Plus1 2

My opinion

Do nothing...you are having them do this for 14 days?  Not a big deal in my mind.  No one is staying inside 24/7 unless they are locked in.

According to my "nurse wife"

If they are on "self quarantine" there is zero reason they should be leaving the house.  Supplies should be left at doorstep by friends/family.

Someone mentioned it earlier, what would you do if a person "pretended" to be sick for 2-weeks

PS: I saw nothing wrong with a "self-quarantined" person going out for essentials either.  But I posed your question to my wife and she about strangled me for "being so dumb!".  I thought I was more than cautious about all of this, goes to show you how for the USA may have to go!

For starters, anyone who claims to be self quarantining should not be out at all , regardless if it’s essential or non essential. Secondly, if that person had told me that’s why they weren’t at work and I found out they weren’t quarantining, their sick pay would end and their unemployment would likely begin.