The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think before you get too far up on the stump to defend Trump's response to these shortages you should look further into what he has done directly to address them, what he could have done, and who that inaction is most affecting. 

If someone thinks I'm defending Trump.  I'm not.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If someone thinks I'm defending Trump.  I'm not.

That last line made me think so. If not Trump to whom are you referring when you say, "What bothers me is the pointing of fingers claiming someone personally is responsible for people dying because we didn't have 100,000 more ventilators in the US." ?

Because of Trump's inaction, we have tens of thousands fewer ventilators than we need.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

Oh eat me, the guys a loose canon and spews verbal diarrhea and a lot of you take the bait.  If he wasn't blathering optimism you would be chastising him for not being optimistic. 

Kellyanne Conway, Sarah Huckabee-Sanders, Stephanie Grisham, et al get paid to spin BS, lie, and rationalize Trump's despicable actions. Why do some feel compelled to do it for free!?!

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That last line made me think so. If not Trump to whom are you referring when you say, "What bothers me is the pointing of fingers claiming someone personally is responsible for people dying because we didn't have 100,000 more ventilators in the US." ?

Because of Trump's inaction, we have tens of thousands fewer ventilators than we need.

Nobody before Trump ever thought we needed 100,000 ventilators in the US stockpile either.  Factories are being ramped up to build them.  

My biggest question is, if we have factories ramping up fast to build them, what difference would it make if the DPA was used?

Trump's words and actions at the beginning of this crisis are inexcusable.  His words and actions acting like it's all coming to an end and we can open up the country are inexcusable.  His act of playing doctor on TV against the experts is inexcusable.

BUT...we have lots fo companies ramping up to make equipment.  Not sure the DPA would make a difference.

I just received a link that was created by the government for me to go on and list things I could make for the effort.  None of them match any type of equipment I have now.  It would take me a year to get ramped up to make a lot of this stuff.  Would the DPA being forced on me make that any faster?  I don't think so.

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Nobody before Trump ever thought we needed 100,000 ventilators in the US stockpile either.  Factories are being ramped up to build them.  

My biggest question is, if we have factories ramping up fast to build them, what difference would it make if the DPA was used?

Trump's words and actions at the beginning of this crisis are inexcusable.  His words and actions acting like it's all coming to an end and we can open up the country are inexcusable.  His act of playing doctor on TV against the experts is inexcusable.

BUT...we have lots fo companies ramping up to make equipment.  Not sure the DPA would make a difference.

We lost weeks because of his buffoonery. Factories are ramping up NOW, this week, but they should have done so weeks ago.

What is the confusion here.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, QMany said:

Kellyanne Conway, Sarah Huckabee-Sanders, Stephanie Grisham, et al get paid to spin BS, lie, and rationalize Trump's despicable actions. Why do some feel compelled to do it for free!?!

It's amazing that some people think it's better to criticize Trump detractors than to criticize Trump himself.

Those people aren't worth responding to. The ignore function works wonders for that.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

We lost weeks because of his buffoonery. Factories are ramping up NOW, this week, but they should have done so weeks ago.

What is the confusion here.

I'm not sure, you tell me.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

BRB, I think I get what you're trying to say. This is truly an unprecedented situation and we were not prepared. That is a failing we will all pay for and we will all have to work as a country to prevent it from happening again. We're all on this ride together.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to watch some half-hearted defense of Trump on this out of some sense of "OMG you guys just want to bring down Trump!!!1!" (Not directed at you.)

Absolutely we do. This clown tried to bury this thing as long as possible, pin it as a hoax on his opponents and avoid treating the problem as real until time ran out and it was clear he couldn't ignore it anymore. He has continued dragging his feet on doing things to help us in this crucial time (the DPA?), continued BOLD-FACED LIES to the entire nation on a daily basis and continues bickering and attacking governors who dare speak truth to power and are actually leading their people.

The man is pathetic. The man is juvenile. The man is an amoral trainwreck. And it's toxic for us as a nation. He is not fit to lead and never has been.

He has failed us all. It is with patriotism and care for the weak and vulnerable that he has abandoned or outright attacked in my heart that I say do not give this man an inch. We've got to come together as a people to topple this would-be king or the next crisis will be worse because the same man with the same irredeemable flaws will still be leading the charge.

• Plus1 4
38 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Abstract from the paper (emphasis mine):

Thanks for the info!

What I'm worried about now is if Trump tries to wave his hands and encourage people to throw medical advice out the window and return to life as normal. In that situation, it won't matter how many trillions they dump into the economy because the virus will run it's course.

I'm not sure chucking American lives into the furnace to power the economy through this is a winning position like they think it is.