The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

30 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The most favorable (for the hospital) explanation I can come up with is they don't have the capacity to handle hundreds of panicked people all begging to be tested if word gets out. 

According to your friends Twitter, it looks like his grandfather will pass sometime today.  They took him off of the ventilator and are honoring his DNR.  It is very sad.

But when news breaks of a COVID-19 death in Kearney and the "don't say anything" Twitter thread, just in time for the Sunday news, it is bound to get crazy in central NE...

50 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The most favorable (for the hospital) explanation I can come up with is they don't have the capacity to handle hundreds of panicked people all begging to be tested if word gets out. 

That makes some sense. But apparently the best containment strategy is for everyone to act like they already have the virus, and to only seek medical help if they're showing symptoms.

I worry that there was a bubble over Nebraska convincing people that this was a big city virus whipped up by the media. I also think these same people will pitch in as a samaritan community and keep the panic to a minimum. 

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

The WHO website says it is not airborne. So that raises two questions. Why would the CDC supposedly be going to recommend everyone wear masks and why are healthcare workers so concerned about not having enough masks? Seems people who should be, aren't on the same page.

If it's in fact not airborne, wouldn't the sole purpose of wearing a mask be to keep an infected person from coughing/spraying onto other people and surfaces? Doesn't seem it would help a non-infected person prevent becoming infected :dunno

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

The WHO website says it is not airborne. So that raises two questions. Why would the CDC supposedly be going to recommend everyone wear masks and why are healthcare workers so concerned about not having enough masks? Seems people who should be, aren't on the same page.

If it's in fact not airborne, wouldn't the sole purpose of wearing a mask be to keep an infected person from coughing/spraying onto other people and surfaces? Doesn't seem it would help a non-infected person prevent becoming infected :dunno

I think the bold is correct.

And I think what they're about to admit is this virus is everywhere, that community spread has already happened to a huge degree, and we need to prevent those of us who do have it from giving it to those who don't. 

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

And I think what they're about to admit is this virus is everywhere, that community spread has already happened to a huge degree, and we need to prevent those of us who do have it from giving it to those who don't. 

I totally agree that would help limit the spread. But, if it is just a recommendation from the CDC, I don't foresee many people who think they're not infected (even though they may be asymptomatic) following the guidance and actually wearing one.

I think for it to be effective at all, they are going to have to make it mandatory (with a penalty) if you are out in public or they just need to lie to us and tell us it is airborne.

11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I totally agree that would help limit the spread.

I believe the idea is that hundreds of thousands of us are already infected and have no idea or are asymptomatic. Even healthy people occasionally cough and sneeze, so if we're all wearing masks that prevents our sneezes/coughs from potentially spreading it.

Edit: Thought you said wouldn't, not would.

6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I totally agree that would help limit the spread. But, if it is just a recommendation from the CDC, I don't foresee many people who think they're not infected (even though they may be asymptomatic) following the guidance and actually wearing one.

I think for it to be effective at all, they are going to have to make it mandatory (with a penalty) if you are out in public or they just need to lie to us and tell us it is airborne.

no one will be able to go buy groceries if they have to have a mask on to do it.  there are no masks to be found 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, commando said:

no one will be able to go buy groceries if they have to have a mask on to do it.  there are no masks to be found 

...and speaking of that, how friggin hard would it be for those companies that manufacture them to pick up the pace a little? I realize there is huge worldwide demand right now but manufacturing N95 masks has to be a relatively easy mass production activity. I would think each facility could churn out thousands per hour. If we had decent leadership, those manufacturers would’ve been under government orders long ago to kick it up.

My only point with my original comments was to point out that the CDC simply making a recommendation probably won’t do much for compliance, especially if the real purpose is to protect others rather than protecting the wearer. We’ve already seen plenty of people willing to risk infecting others if it entails them not having to modify their behavior.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

^This, it spreads droplet like the flu - but if we all wear masks, aint no droplets anywhere. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

It's not airborne, but it can be spread through respiratory droplets, which includes normal breathing in addition to coughing and sneezing. The WHO recommends a minimum of 6 ft separation for this reason.

Edit: just saw the more recent WHO recommendation is 1 m or 3 ft.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

If you think people are crazy now with the TP and food buying, that would make a bunch of the population starve to death due to the others buying more freezers and packing them.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

It's not airborne, but it can be spread through respiratory droplets, which includes normal breathing in addition to coughing and sneezing. The WHO recommends a minimum of 6 ft separation for this reason. 

Okay....but what made you think I didn't already know these things?