The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I was answering your question about why would healthcare workers wear masks.

Okay.

My whole point here though is that many in the general public aren't going to wear a mask to help protect others, unless the rule has some balls to it. As recently as two and three days ago I've seen crowded basketball courts (I mean like 20 people on one half court). Those idiots aren't going to wear a mask for my sake.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

Okay.

My whole point here though is that many in the general public aren't going to wear a mask to help protect others, unless the rule has some balls to it. As recently as two and three days ago I've seen crowded basketball courts (I mean like 20 people on one half court). Those idiots aren't going to wear a mask for my sake.

I agree. Telling the general public to wear masks is just going to make things worse for healthcare workers who need them.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

I may be off here but if I'm remembering correctly, Mississippi added 110 new completed tests over the last 24 hours. They've reported 84 new cases.

In Mississippi?

That has to be a record for the most people that ever passed a test in that state.  Ba-zing

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5

48 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

515 deaths so far today. 

In case no one else looked, CDC says there are 12,000-61,000 flu deaths per year in the U.S. since 2010.

61,000/365 = 167 per day. 

So our deaths per day right now, when we obviously aren’t at the peak of this thing, is 3X that of the flu.

• Thanks 2
40 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

In case no one else looked, CDC says there are 12,000-61,000 flu deaths per year in the U.S. since 2010.

61,000/365 = 167 per day. 

So our deaths per day right now, when we obviously aren’t at the peak of this thing, is 3X that of the flu.

The flu season is typically 6 months. So, 183 days...or ....333 per day. 

yep...still doesn’t look good. 

And, we ended up with 525 for the day. So...we’re on pace for 96,000. 

But....all indications are that warm weather doesn’t reduce the risk. 

• Plus1 1

Fiancée just finished her first of a couple nights in a row at the hospital. Her unit is now taking COVID patients because all the other IC units at her hospital are filling up. She didn't get a confirmed patient, but her's had symptoms that are pretty close; so her manager gave her a mask, but they keep them locked up normally. They all changed into the hospitals scrubs at the start of shift instead of their personal ones they typically wear, and she wore a patient gown instead of the surgical ones. I'm not sure why she couldn't get a surgical one, but that was her choice to wear a gown.

I'm not being alarmist when I say this, it's just my hunch from the numbers I've seen and what I'm hearing first hand from her and her friends in healthcare; things are going to get bad in Michigan, specifically the Detroit metro. It's probably going to be the next hot spot. Vents are running low, so a lot of hospitals are preparing to implement DNRs for COVID patients; PPE is still an issue; Masks are being reused; People in their 30s and 40s are on vents; Patients are dying before they get test results; And the numbers are rising. Those are all facts.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Fiancée just finished her first of a couple nights in a row at the hospital. Her unit is now taking COVID patients because all the other IC units at her hospital are filling up. She didn't get a confirmed patient, but her's had symptoms that are pretty close; so her manager gave her a mask, but they keep them locked up normally. They all changed into the hospitals scrubs at the start of shift instead of their personal ones they typically wear, and she wore a patient gown instead of the surgical ones. I'm not sure why she couldn't get a surgical one, but that was her choice to wear a gown.

I'm not being alarmist when I say this, it's just my hunch from the numbers I've seen and what I'm hearing first hand from her and her friends in healthcare; things are going to get bad in Michigan, specifically the Detroit metro. It's probably going to be the next hot spot. Vents are running low, so a lot of hospitals are preparing to implement DNRs for COVID patients; PPE is still an issue; Masks are being reused; People in their 30s and 40s are on vents; Patients are dying before they get test results; And the numbers are rising. Those are all facts.

If Montana already has 20 new cases today...I would imagine that Michigan will have well over 1,000 today.

That state seems to be getting hit hard.

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

People in their 30s and 40s are on vents

Initial reports seemed to indicate that mortality was greatest at 65 & over. I think when we look back on this we're going to see that wasn't quite true, and led to a lot of false optimism from younger people.