The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Aside from making this political and carrying Trump's water like a good boy, what purpose does this serve?

Who is he even talking about? This is something everyone would abhor. Show us the article, or the clip this is about.

So places like CNN are reporting the death toll/cases as they should, and Trump is out here bragging about his TV ratings - and the media is the one who can't contain their glee and delight? 

giphy.gif

Somebody knocked *a little* sense into Trump. Extending guidelines until April 30th. He seems to be making up a theory NY hospitals are selling masks on the black market, but he keeps talking about a potential for 2.2 million deaths if we did nothing so he seems to be flipping the script 

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

I would bet nearly no one watches those pressers to see a Trump train wreck. It's a pretty serious topic to be taking that lightly. Besides, that's what late-night shows are for.

Everyone is watching for updates from the medical experts like Fouci and Birx. 

The village idiot is just the one we need to listen to before them. 

8 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I hate to prolong this futile discussion, but...  Did someone say this?  

7 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

I’m all for helping other countries, but take care of your own first.  This confirms the denial this administration had over a potential pandemic.  Cluelessness at its finest. 

Maybe your initial post on this didn’t convey what you meant to say, but it sure came across as “we shouldn’t have sent that stuff to help China”.

And I don’t wish to prolong it any further either.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Maybe your initial post on this didn’t convey what you meant to say, but it sure came across as “we shouldn’t have sent that stuff to help China”.

And I don’t wish to prolong it any further either.

I said what I meant to say and I really don’t know how it Is that difficult to understand.  How you interpret that is on you I guess.  

8 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I said what I meant to say and I really don’t know how it Is that difficult to understand.  How you interpret that is on you I guess.  

My interpretation isn’t the problem. It’s just a fundamental difference of opinion. I think we should’ve sent the supplies AND assured replacement of those supplies. You don’t think we should’ve sent them without making sure we would have replacements. It may seem like the exact same thing to you but it isn’t unless you’re willing walk back the idea they never should’ve been sent (which you apparently don’t want to do). So, I seem to be interpreting it exactly as you intend. Peace.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

My interpretation isn’t the problem. It’s just a fundamental difference of opinion. I think we should’ve sent the supplies AND assured replacement of those supplies. You don’t think we should’ve sent them without making sure we would have replacements. It may seem like the exact same thing to you but it isn’t unless you’re willing walk back the idea they never should’ve been sent (which you apparently don’t want to do). So, I seem to be interpreting it exactly as you intend. Peace.

Peace to you as well.  I had to take a moment, have a beer and then return to this downward spiraling discussion.  It seems I was getting a bit defensive.  Something I try to avoid.  And I apologize if I wasn't clear with my original comments related to the supplies be sent to China.  

But do you ever run across a topic that kind of "hits close to home" or at least is somewhat relevant to your career?  That's what happened here with me.  My profession of 20+ years is hospital based and I drew some parallels here.  Maybe I shouldn't have, but nonetheless here we are.  

Pretty much every week I am involved at least in some way with the prospect of loaning or borrowing "supplies" related to my profession to other hospitals in the area.  It''s just what you do and its a good system of sharing for the good of patients everywhere.  However in the case of shortages or very high use, my hospital and others generally will not loan out any "supplies" because our number one priority is our patients.  Of course there are always exceptions in extreme circumstances, but generally reserve our supplies for our patient in times such as this.  In this scenario the American people are "our patients" and China is the "other hospital."  We would love to help them, but not at the peril of our own people.  Now it is likely that the administration didn't foresee our shortages of supplies a month later and that was a huge mistake on their part.  Isn't that what the CDC is supposed to do?  Run simulations of what will happen in case an outbreak or endemic turns into a pandemic and then assure we are adequately prepared.  It was foolish for them to not think this wouldn't spread like wildfire from a country as populated and connected to the world like China is.  

So my whole beef with all this is that they didn't make sure we were going to be adequately supplied before sending out 17 tons of masks and gowns, etc.  It was coming here--just a matter of when.  Any epidemiologist or infectious disease expert worth their salt at the CDC surely would know that.  What was the root of this failure then?  The CDC dropping the ball?  Were they even involved (with Trump you never know)?  Was Trump out golfing and still in his denial mode that this was going to all go away?

So yes helping other countries is almost always a good thing, but we need to take care of our own first.

• Plus1 1