The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

3 hours ago, BigRedN said:

I just learned you can't post something that is political as your update status.  Okay.  First I've heard of that ... but I stay out the politics area as much as I can.  Thanks @Mavric for letting me know.  Always appreciate the work our Mods do.

Anyway, Rachel Maddow has been pretty vocal on her views.  Is this really "journalism" ... probably at Mizzou it is.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/cLJB0VoqVQY?version=3&rel=1&fs=1&autohide=2&showsearch=0&showinfo=1&iv_load_policy=1&wmode=transparent&fbclid=IwAR3IqnhTg8XH0j7uqlbX8Sbsoeq52iqhcrw3IWnBSqZiW_Nlc5ZZDxJ8d0E

I found it humorous to see both ships come into port over the past few days ... right on schedule.  I'm not gonna spend much time trying to redo the "status update" I did.  You can go watch the videos if you like.

Now, I'll wait to see this 2-3.5 million lives get snuffed out in America.  I'm sure the side that wants that to happen will be gloating in no time.  And when it doesn't happen ... I'm not expecting anything.  Just like when folks said we were gonna go 10-2 or 9-3 the past few years.  Ya, you will go find your rock.  It's okay ... the rest of us just wish you could be a part of humanity instead of trying to right in all things.

I’m trying Hard to figure out your “angle”

You seemed to have claimed this was no big deal from the start and people are over reacting.  But also don’t seem to disagree with the steps local governments are taking.

And now that those steps seem to be working “a little” (2 million deaths if we did nothing, possibly 100,000 with current measures) you seem to again claim that it wasn’t that big of deal.

No one, no one at all, wants to see even 1 more death.  We ALL want to go back to the lives we had 2 months ago.  But it is pretty safe to assume that if the media didn’t make these scary projections based on information from medical professionals, people would not have taken this seriously, and we might have seen the catastrophic numbers that were originally projected.  That is the point of the media.  Instead of saying they overreacted, how about saying “thank you” for possibly saving 1.9 million lives?

• Plus1 7
22 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I’m trying Hard to figure out your “angle”

You seemed to have claimed this was no big deal from the start and people are over reacting.  But also don’t seem to disagree with the steps local governments are taking.

And now that those steps seem to be working “a little” (2 million deaths if we did nothing, possibly 100,000 with current measures) you seem to again claim that it wasn’t that big of deal.

No one, no one at all, wants to see even 1 more death.  We ALL want to go back to the lives we had 2 months ago.  But it is pretty safe to assume that if the media didn’t make these scary projections based on information from medical professionals, people would not have taken this seriously, and we might have seen the catastrophic numbers that were originally projected.  That is the point of the media.  Instead of saying they overreacted, how about saying “thank you” for possibly saving 1.9 million lives?

I agree with all of this...

But with that said...I do kind of like teaching from my basement on my computer!

In your area of teaching...I have no idea how you do it!

16 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I agree with all of this...

But with that said...I do kind of like teaching from my basement on my computer!

In your area of teaching...I have no idea how you do it!

I could get used to these hours.  We “Zoom” for 12 hours a week in the afternoons, but the other 28 are whenever we want as long as we account for the time.

But I will never ever ever say I enjoy reaching via distance learning.  I teach what I teach because I hate talking :bang

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I could get used to these hours.  We “Zoom” for 12 hours a week in the afternoons, but the other 28 are whenever we want as long as we account for the time.

But I will never ever ever say I enjoy reaching via distance learning.  I teach what I teach because I hate talking :bang

Years ago, I was teaching at a school and got asked to cover a "shop" class...I said sure...

I went in and a bunch of my football players were in the class, I forget what they were working on...but a few came up to me and said "Hey, Coach, you care if we chew...Mr. So-and-So lets us chew in here"

I just said "Pretend like you didn't ask"

Just imagine today on Zoom...they could chew all they wanted! 

I also remember being worried they would ask a question on how to use one of the tools...because I would have had no idea!

11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Years ago, I was teaching at a school and got asked to cover a "shop" class...I said sure...

I went in and a bunch of my football players were in the class, I forget what they were working on...but a few came up to me and said "Hey, Coach, you care if we chew...Mr. So-and-So lets us chew in here"

I just said "Pretend like you didn't ask"

Just imagine today on Zoom...they could chew all they wanted! 

I also remember being worried they would ask a question on how to use one of the tools...because I would have had no idea!

Not to derail this thread:

I used to have a student that I loved and hated at the same time.  If he was 15 years older he might have been my best friend!

But everyday, he’d get right into my face, “honestly, what would you do if I put a dip in right now?”

I always made the retort, “I wouldn’t personally care, but it’s my job to report it to the office.  So that question should be asked to the principal.”

EVery day we had this conversation.

On his very last day, his senior year, he pulls a can out of his pocket, packs it with a flick of the wrist, takes out a big ole chaw, and stuffs his lip.  As I’m handing out the final, my jaw hits the floor! I know I swore; I’m almost positive I gave a “what the f#&% do you think you’re doing” comment.

It was a Small Engines class, so the class wouldn’t have heard anything new. But they all started laughing.

The kid who took the dip, calmly leans back and says “just relax. Here, this’ll help” and throws me the can.

It was jerky chew...

I love my job!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I hate Twitter. 

WTF does that second Tweet even mean????

There's a new study indicating measures to reduce covid-19 spread are working, which contradicts an earlier article suggesting an end to lockdowns and social distancing.

The abstract in the linked study will give you the details.

19 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Not a fan of that temperature data meaning anything. Temperature alone doesn't tell us much and they only have 1 million thermometers online and let's be real, how many people have an internet connected thermometer? Obviously 1 million people do but most don't. Also that is a bit of a correlation isn't causation problem

14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

There's a new study indicating measures to reduce covid-19 spread are working, which contradicts an earlier article suggesting an end to lockdowns and social distancing.

The abstract in the linked study will give you the details.

Now that made sense.  Thank you.