The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

23 minutes ago, ZRod said:

We knew in January that China had shut their citizen in. That should have set off alarm bells right there.

Absolutely!  But who could have predicted it would have come to this?  Anyone pretending that any sitting president or administration should have had the foresight to predict a Pandemic of this size is kidding themselves.  It would have taken longer than a month to properly prepare and stockpile the proper PPE and supplies, more realistically a year.

Could Donald Trump have done things differently?  Absolutely, and he probably should have.  In Hindsight.  The same can be said for every Governor of every state.  In Hindsight.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Redux said:

Absolutely!  But who could have predicted it would have come to this?  Anyone pretending that any sitting president or administration should have had the foresight to predict a Pandemic of this size is kidding themselves.  It would have taken longer than a month to properly prepare and stockpile the proper PPE and supplies, more realistically a year.

Could Donald Trump have done things differently?  Absolutely, and he probably should have.  In Hindsight.  The same can be said for every Governor of every state.  In Hindsight.

Many people predicted it would come to this and they were told to stop creating panic. It's not gonna be that bad, its just a bad flu. Don't rewrite history because it doesn't fit your narrative. Many people predicted it would come to this, most of them experts in this very field. I don't want to hear no one could have had the foresight, because they did have the foresight and were told to shut up about it 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 3
22 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Many people predicted it would come to this and they were told to stop creating panic. It's not gonna be that bad, its just a bad flu. Don't rewrite history because it doesn't fit your narrative. Many people predicted it would come to this, most of them experts in this very field. I don't want to hear no one could have had the foresight, because they did have the foresight and were told to shut up about it 

Yep. Not only did people predict this would happen, Trump was briefed on pandemics in 2017 and September of last year, and they described the areas where America was vulnerable, and he did ***nothing*** to fix it.  Nothing.

In 2017, Obama officials briefed Trump's team on dealing with a pandemic like the coronavirus. One Cabinet member reportedly fell asleep, and others didn't want to be there.

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yep. Not only did people predict this would happen, Trump was briefed on pandemics in 2017 and September of last year, and they described the areas where America was vulnerable, and he did ***nothing*** to fix it.  Nothing.

In 2017, Obama officials briefed Trump's team on dealing with a pandemic like the coronavirus. One Cabinet member reportedly fell asleep, and others didn't want to be there.

They run simulations at least once a year. Did one in October on a deadly coronavirus specifically and they failed it. This has been talked about as a possibility for a few years now.

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/

39 minutes ago, Redux said:

Hindsight great and all... The states rely on federal direction for things like this, and they seem to have gotten zilch from that area of the government. 

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Predicted when?  Making predictions after it's too late isn't what I'm talking about and you know that. Nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody was predicting an overseas pandemic to hit when we still could have properly prepared and prevented it.  Don't rewrite history because it doesn't fit your narrative.  If there were people predicting this please ask them what the death toll will end up being, when it will end and what the vaccine is because they must have a crystal ball.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Redux said:

Predicted when?  Making predictions after it's too late isn't what I'm talking about and you know that. Nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody was predicting an overseas pandemic to hit when we still could have properly prepared and prevented it.  Don't rewrite history because it doesn't fit your narrative.  If there were people predicting this please ask them what the death toll will end up being, when it will end and what the vaccine is because they must have a crystal ball.

Do you seriously think this is true after the not one, but TWO articles I linked THREE POSTS ABOVE THIS?

President Obama literally created a task force for this specific reason after the Ebola outbreaks. 

The evidence is right in front of your eyes. Look at it.

• Plus1 7
7 minutes ago, Redux said:

People have been predicting a pandemic will hit the US literally for decades. There's a Netflix series called Pandemic that was released just before covid-19 hit that shows many of the people involved in pandemic response and all of them say it isn't a matter of if but of when.

But Trump not only didn't prepare, but deliberately removed preparations like getting rid of the pandemic response team. Then he downplayed what was happening for over a month.

• Plus1 5
13 minutes ago, Redux said:

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/

They literally did a coronavirus simulation last october. It didn't go well. There have been people saying this is coming for YEARS.

And to be clear, they were predicting things like death toll over 1 month ago. The numbers Birx was talking about yesterday have been out and about for a month and likely longer in professional circles. Vaccine will take 12-18 months and this won't be all the way over until a vaccine is created. The death toll may not have been predicted with any accuracy in January but the level of devastation possible was known to an extent and our administration was warned about it. The experts have been telling us these things from the very beginning people just weren't listening. 

• Plus1 3