The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Just now, RedDenver said:

This is some bad logic. Trump dropped the ball. Other places are also infected on a large scale. Both are true.

And yet all these supposed warnings and predictions didn't help them either.  Or, just hear me out, knapps logic is flawed.  I know, I know usually impossible.  But again, a year or more would have been necessary to properly prepare for this.

5 minutes ago, Redux said:

And yet all these supposed warnings and predictions didn't help them either.  Or, just hear me out, knapps logic is flawed.  I know, I know usually impossible.  But again, a year or more would have been necessary to properly prepare for this.

No, it wouldn't have taken a year if we'd started test and trace from the beginning. Something that a pandemic response team would have taken the lead on, if only we had one.

Even without containing the virus, Trump could have issued orders to start PPE and ventilator emergency production under the DPA back in Feb. or early March, but he didn't do that until (checks notes) 5 days ago. And then only for GM to produce ventilators.

So, just hear me out, your logic is flawed.

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, Redux said:

Why does either statement have to be flawed? Trump sucked. Other governments sucked. Maybe there is a global issue of leaders sucking and ignoring data and research.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

There are people who simply choose to believe lies because those lies are more comforting than the truth.

A.R. Moxon said it well in this thread.

Evergreen tweet:

Still, Trump accusing medical professionals of stealing or hoarding masks and blaming that for shortages is pretty f#&%ing sick and pathetic, IMO.

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Danny Bateman said:

Still, Trump accusing medical professionals of stealing or hoarding masks and blaming that for shortages is pretty f#&%ing sick and pathetic, IMO.

And yet, some people feel the need to defend that man. Bonkers.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Redux said:

Korea responded extremely well and it made a huge difference.  Italy remained in denial for way to long.  Bolsonaro in Brazil is repeating that mistake even as we speak. California's slightly earlier and still modest Shelter In Home directives appear to be making a serious difference. 

Straight up fact that Trump dismantled or weakened much of our pandemic and emergency response infrastructure when trying to free up money for his wall. Indisputable that he was warned by people who understood this stuff far better than him, and that he already had the lessons of China, Korea, Italy and Iran to learn from when he declared the virus posed no problem to the United States. Then he pivoted and admitted it was a problem, but maybe some of our poorer and more elderly should go ahead and remain at risk to keep those stock market numbers from tumbling. Then he decided he was a wartime president, and that no other President saw this coming (total lie), and that nobody has responded in a bigger, better way than he has.

Then he bragged about the ratings of his press conferences. Then started portioning federal aid to reward states that are nice to him, and punishing states that voted blue. Given the chance to reassure Americans who are scared, he attacked the reporter. He blames the media for exaggerating a crisis that continues to be worse than we imagined. 

So no, Redux, Trump's not the only one who has dropped the ball. He's simply a terrible President when we need a really good one. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 6

16 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

No, it wouldn't have taken a year if we'd started test and trace from the beginning. Something that a pandemic response team would have taken the lead on, if only we had one.

Uh huh.  So I assume that means you had faith Trump would assemble a response team that could properly handle this without know the ramifications of it beforehand.

A year.

12 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Why does either statement have to be flawed? Trump sucked. Other governments sucked. Maybe there is a global issue of leaders sucking and ignoring data and research.

There is, because none of them could have foreseen how this would go even though knapp has a bunch of articles.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

To be clear, I'm NOT advocating for this mentality. It seems more fitting for a movie plot than real life. But I've already heard this viewpoint get expressed from some pockets of the world/country.

For god sakes we've heard it from the president on stage during White House briefings. It's not like it's some fringe view.

But let's be clear, it's not one Trump adopted because he wants to eradicate this virus or help America. He backs it only because he views himself as the economic Magic Man and he acutely senses re-election slipping through his fingers if the economy gets too bad.

But it's going to get worse because he refused to take the situation seriously until it was far too late and even now continues to bungle his response through his own incompetence and narcissism. So it's a bit of a catch-22.

• Plus1 2