The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

19 minutes ago, Redux said:

Always try to.  Guilty of letting both sides persuade me before looking at all the facts though, I just flat out don't have the amouny of time or patience to look into EVERY meaningless issue like some folks do.  Wish I did sometimes.

But I do appreciate you and others being human about it, and I don't even disagree with a lot of the stuff said about Trump, I just don't obsess over the guy.  I know he's a loose canon and talks out his a$$.

Amen on Trump.

I'd say it's OK to let them persuade you. Just don't outright let them make your mind up for you. Take what they tell you and at least think it through to analyze it for yourself.

When people start letting others do their thinking for them is when they get in trouble.

Just now, knapplc said:

His sources for news are his conservative friend and his liberal friend. He talks to both of them, hears their sides, and makes decisions based on that.

I should find that quote and frame it. It's amazing.

You are truly obsessed with that huh.  I'm sorry you took such exception to it.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Some people would have attacked him no matter what, yes, but the people in this thread have only criticized the reality we know. He fired the pandemic team, data from simulated pandemics went unheaded, no preparation was done until it was already too late to make a difference, red States are getting what they want while blue states are not. Those are the facts.

Obviously any amount of prep in 3 months wouldn't have been enough to stop this in it's tracks, but it would have made a huge difference. Now we are where we are because of inaction. If we had the lowest case ratio this place would be signing a different tune entirely. I can guarantee you that.

The bolded isn't accurate, but there I go again "defending" Trump.

2/3 of his original staff is gone, probably including whomever allegedly fell asleep during the Not Caronavirus pandemic briefing.

It's not obvious to some, that's the problem.  And no, this would not be a different tune.  If the US has o ly 100 deaths and 2,000 cases and stopped it there, folks in this very thread would STILL be ranting and raving about orange man and his inability to prevent the numbers from being even lower.  I don't need that crystal ball to understand that either.

21 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

When you tell him this, he ignores you Danny.

He put me on ignore list for asking him to be logical and look at both sides of the fence.  Also, to actually verify his sources for news.

Everybody always thinks they're the logical one seeing both sides of an argument with information provided by reputable sources. The fact that we have to belabor this point constantly in P&R threads is exhausting.

3 minutes ago, Redux said:

You are truly obsessed with that huh.  I'm sorry you took such exception to it.

Quite a bit of this back and forth is better reserved for the Shed. If some of you don't like what each other have to say, put each other on Ignore and practice some self control. This thread isn't the place for some of these discussions.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

Quite a bit of this back and forth is better reserved for the Shed. If some of you don't like what each other have to say, put each other on Ignore and practice some self control. This thread isn't the place for some of these discussions.

Agree 100%

Just now, BlitzFirst said:

I wouldn't address him at all if he weren't posting stuff that is baseless and unfactual.  This is P&R forum for facts... not posting lies from conspiracy theory websites.  If I started posting crazy tinfoil hat wearing stuff, I'd be run out of this forum.  Why should Redux have different treatment here? 

Nobody is being treated any differently. We err on the side of allowing freedom of speech and we're typically not going to reprimand someone for having a perspective or opinion different than your own. This is far too often (and inaccurately) labeled as trolling in this forum.

We're also not going to fact check every single claim and/or source that someone posts into the P&R forum. You're welcome to report something if you think it's in violation of a board rule.

What I've posted here is not a suggestion. Please keep this thread on topic.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

Nobody is being treated any differently. We err on the side of allowing freedom of speech and we're typically not going to reprimand someone for having a perspective or opinion different than your own. This is far too often (and inaccurately) labeled as trolling in this forum.

We're also not going to fact check every single claim and/or source that someone posts into the P&R forum. You're welcome to report something if you think it's in violation of a board rule.

Sadly, this is true.

Some people actually believe this stuff.  They're not always posting nonsense looking for a reaction....

• Plus1 2

There have been other polls showing this as well, but seeing this here in a place that is generally friendly to Trump illustrates how meager his coronavirus bump has been.

Also Biden +3 in WI is a very good result for him. From what I've seen it's been the Rust Belt state least willing to give up on Trump. What this shows is that perhaps whether people approve of how Trump is handling this does not necessarily correlate to whether they will vote for him come November.

34 minutes ago, Redux said:

The bolded isn't accurate, but there I go again "defending" Trump.

2/3 of his original staff is gone, probably including whomever allegedly fell asleep during the Not Caronavirus pandemic briefing.

It's not obvious to some, that's the problem.  And no, this would not be a different tune.  If the US has o ly 100 deaths and 2,000 cases and stopped it there, folks in this very thread would STILL be ranting and raving about orange man and his inability to prevent the numbers from being even lower.  I don't need that crystal ball to understand that either.

The bolded in my quote is 100% accurate. No one is criticizing Trump or anyone else for non-existent 100 or 2000 death cap because that's not reality. People have given Trump credit when it's due, we also criticize him when it's due. So I can confidently say that 90% of the people here would be very happy to give Trump credit for managing this better than any other country, but that's unfortunately not what's happening.

90% isn't everyone, and that's perfectly fine.

Thing for me is, when I hear something positive I come to this subforum to see if people can add to it.  Unfortunately I can't think of one time that's happened.  It either gets ignored/brushed aside completely or disected (soemtimes fairly sometimes not) to the point I forgot why I even had a glimmer of hope to begin with.

49 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Everybody always thinks they're the logical one seeing both sides of an argument with information provided by reputable sources. The fact that we have to belabor this point constantly in P&R threads is exhausting.

22 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Are these posts in response to a complaint?