The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

57 minutes ago, Redux said:

90% isn't everyone, and that's perfectly fine.

Thing for me is, when I hear something positive I come to this subforum to see if people can add to it.  Unfortunately I can't think of one time that's happened.  It either gets ignored/brushed aside completely or disected (soemtimes fairly sometimes not) to the point I forgot why I even had a glimmer of hope to begin with.

Because you didn't see it doesn't mean it's not there. There was some praise for taking on Chinese trade, also some criticisms because we were told it wouldn't affect the US consumer or producers which we knew wasn't true. Several times it was said that we we're glad he hadn't screwed up the economy or employment yet. There was some praise for NAFTA 2.0, but it has yet to be ratified and is closer to NAFTA than what it was originally billed as. People we're happy with the tax cuts, but why would you cut taxes and raise expenditures in a time of prosperity?

It's kind of hard to praise incompetence though. The guy gets s#!t on because he's full of s#!t. If you deliver the message appropriately then you get a better reaction, see almost any other president. If you tell us "We're going to take on trade with China. It's going to be tough for a bit, but we'll be better for it. In the mean time we'll support farmers and consumers who are impacted." You going to inspire confidence and people are going to feel better about what you're doing. Likewise if you say "We've been watching the developing situation in China, and will be stepping up production of vital equipment and supplies to prepare." You're going to get a lot better reaction even if you fail than saying it's a hoax. We're responding better than anyone in the world it'll be done soon. It's not that hard to be professional and presidential...

49 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Why TF are we accepting aid from RUSSIA?!?!?!?

That would be a PR disaster for America.  Are you kidding?

Umm... Because when people's lives are on the line you take what you can get, as fast as you can get it. :dunno

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Umm... Because when people's lives are on the line you take what you can get, as fast as you can get it. :dunno

The quality of what you're going to get should play a role in the decisions you make.

For example:

Russia sent Italy a military convoy of medical supplies to help with the coronavirus outbreak. Italy said it was useless and accused them of a PR stunt.

The supplies and personnel were transported to Rome via military transport jets, before transferring onto a convoy of military trucks to deliver the equipment to the hard-hit region of Bergamo, La Stampa said.

The shipment arrived by air after Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte spoke with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin last Saturday. 

The footage of the convoy was widely shared on social media, but Italian officials speaking anonymously to La Stampa said as much as 80% of the delivered material was useless, and that the operation appears to be a public-relations stunt with little practical benefit to the country's healthcare system.

It's a ploy to reduce sanctions on Russia. Guaranteed.

4 hours ago, Redux said:

Uh huh.  So I assume that means you had faith Trump would assemble a response team that could properly handle this without know the ramifications of it beforehand.

I think you misunderstand. There was already a pandemic response team, which was created by Obama after the 2014 ebola outbreak. Trump got rid of that team in 2018 to cut costs.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/

• Plus1 1