The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Yep. I edited my post to include that article. It's a pretty transparent ploy by Russia, but Trump is complicit enough to fall for it.

Remember he fell in love with Little Fat Boy - alias Rocket Man.  It is amazing what a compliment will do or a

helpful gesture from his friend, Putin, will buy.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I think you misunderstand. There was already a pandemic response team, which was created by Obama after the 2014 ebola outbreak. Trump got rid of that team in 2018 to cut costs.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/

And that's a move I disagree with.  But people are also saying he needed to make one.  Had he done that, then the argument would be that they were poorly trained.  Had he kept the original intact and these current numbers still reflected the same the narrative would be he handcuffed them from being more efficient.  So on and so forth.

Obviously any team would have been better than winging it, clearly that hasn't worked out well for anyone.

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Remember he fell in love with Little Fat Boy - alias Rocket Man.  It is amazing what a compliment will do or a

helpful gesture from his friend, Putin, will buy.

Putin should just send him a big, beautiful letter.

1 minute ago, Redux said:

Had he done that, then the argument would be that they were poorly trained.  Had he kept the original intact and these current numbers still reflected the same the narrative would be he handcuffed them from being more efficient.  So on and so forth.

You're speculating heavily here. As a counter example, Trump invoked the DPA, and people applauded him for it. He then didn't actually do anything with his DPA authority, and he got criticized. Similar things happened when he brought forward Fauci and sidelined Azar. It's seems pretty earned.

1 minute ago, Redux said:

Obviously any team would have been better than winging it, clearly that hasn't worked out well for anyone.

I agree.

14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Putin should just send him a big, beautiful letter.

:laughpound That is so funny is a very bad and deplorable way. 

So here is their little phone chat: 

Putin:  Donald, I need you to do me a favor

Trump:  Anything  just name it

Putin:  I need to get the sanctions turned off

Trump: I agree, I haven't figured out a way

Putin: Here's my plan and we'll both come out smelling like Roses

Trump: I'm all for improving my image above everything else

Putin:  I will send you some of our rubbish, I mean quality medical supplies that you need desperately.

Trump: I'm all ears Vlad, my friend.

Putin: Then you tell the world how you negotiated this great deal wt me.  You used your book,  The Art of Deception, no the Art of the Deal. That's it.

Trump: Yea go on. Sounds good

Putin: Then you tell the world because of this wonderful gesture by the Russians to send us their rubbish, I mean quality medical equipment, I am removing all sanctions on Russia.

Trump:  Sounds great. So what's in it for me personally.

Putin:  I will keep quiet another month about our 'little arrangement' in 2016

Trump: Thank-you Mr Putin

Putin:  Until next month.  Good-bye.  By the way keep sending me those Trump Steaks.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/putin-offered-trump-russian-coronavirus-184102157.html

Russia is sending the United States medical equipment to help fight the coronavirus pandemic, a public relations coup for Russian President Vladimir Putin after he discussed the crisis with U.S. President Donald Trump.

Trump, struggling to fill shortages of ventilators and personal protective equipment, accepted Putin's offer in a phone call on Monday. A Russian military transport plane left an airfield outside Moscow and was expected to arrive in the United States on Wednesday night.

Emergency aid to Washington was a striking development. Usually, the United States donates supplies to embattled countries rather than accepting them. The origin of the gift was bound to revive criticism from Democrats that Trump has been too cozy with the Russian leader.

"Trump gratefully accepted this humanitarian aid," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov was cited as saying by the Interfax news agency on Tuesday. Trump himself spoke enthusiastically about the Russian help after his call with Putin.

A U.S. official in Washington confirmed the shipment was a direct result of Trump's phone conversation with Putin. The official said it carried 60 tons of ventilators, masks, respirators and other items.

The official said the equipment will be carefully examined to make sure it comports with quality requirements of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. ( TG: FAT CHANCE THAT WILL HAPPEN - that it will meet quality requirements that is)

Russia's Rossiya 24 channel on Wednesday morning showed the plane taking off from a military air base outside Moscow in darkness. Its cargo hold was filled with cardboard boxes and other packages.

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The quality of what you're going to get should play a role in the decisions you make.

For example:

It's a ploy to reduce sanctions on Russia. Guaranteed.

Then we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The article didn't seem to state why they were useless and made no comment of vents.

3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Then we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The article didn't seem to state why they were useless and made no comment of vents.

Umm, no. You don't just blindly take any help that's offered to you.  You have to keep your wits about you. 

This is akin to saying you get into the Free Candy van because you want some candy.  Maybe all offers of aid aren't the same.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

This, uh, does not seem like a gamble with great odds.

Nor was it his gamble to take.  The lives of Americans were at stake.

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Clearly Trump has done *some* stuff well and it's silly to argue otherwise.

But it's his decision making process - ignoring doctors to side with toadies who tell him what he wants to hear - that reinforces he's not someone I want in the White House.

The danger of a Cult leader and yes men cult followers. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1