The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

My Fiancée said that her hospital ran out of vents last night... Tonight is her last night this week, thank god. 

I absolutely hate the "This generation's WWII" comparison, but for these nurse, nurse assistants, and doctors it absolutely is like a war. The emotional toll it's taking is very heavy, especially for newer healthcare workers.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ZRod said:

My Fiancée said that her hospital ran out of vents last night... Tonight is her last night this week, thank god. 

I absolutely hate the "This generation's WWII" comparison, but for these nurse, nurse assistants, and doctors it absolutely is like a war. The emotional toll it's taking is very heavy, especially for newer healthcare workers.

My brother just graduated from nursing school in Jan. Started his job mid feb. And had his first positive corona virus patient yesterday that hes been taken care of on his own during his shifts. He has diabetes and lives with my parents. My dad is 85 with CHF. We are all pretty worried. It was the wrong time for him to get into nursing. 

• Plus1 1

Now Fauci needs stepped up security.  Unbelievable how people act in a crisis.   

On a side note, I never would have guessed he was any where near 79 years old - maybe he can be drafted in as the Dem nominee - he's in the age group!! 

https://www.thehour.com/news/article/Fauci-s-security-is-stepped-up-as-doctor-and-face-15173001.php

Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious-diseases expert and the face of the U.S. response to the novel coronavirus pandemic, is facing growing threats to his personal safety, prompting the government to step up his security, according to people familiar with the matter.

The concerns include threats as well as unwelcome communications from fervent admirers, according to people with knowledge of deliberations inside the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Justice.

Fauci, 79, is the most outspoken member of the administration in favor of sweeping public health guidelines and is among the few officials willing to correct President Donald Trump's misstatements. Along with Deborah Birx, the coordinator for the White House's task force, Fauci has encouraged the president to extend the timeline for social-distancing guidelines, presenting him with grim models about the possible toll of the pandemic.

12 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Now Fauci needs stepped up security.  Unbelievable how people act in a crisis.   

On a side note, I never would have guessed he was any where near 79 years old - maybe he can be drafted in as the Dem nominee - he's in the age group!! 

https://www.thehour.com/news/article/Fauci-s-security-is-stepped-up-as-doctor-and-face-15173001.php

I saw an article when this was ramping up that Fauci is a former marathoner, and was running 7 miles a day, 5-6 days a week, as late as the Holiday season. Since the pandemic reached this proportion, he has cut way down...only 3-4 miles a day :woo

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I saw an article when this was ramping up that Fauci is a former marathoner, and was running 7 miles a day, 5-6 days a week, as late as the Holiday season. Since the pandemic reached this proportion, he has cut way down...only 3-4 miles a day :woo

I better take up running again. But first......  I need to lose some weight otherwise my knees will give out.   :xcuse are you going to

eat that donut on your plate:D

• Haha 3
14 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

How has he not wrecked his joints?? As a former wrestler, I stick to swimming. Easier on the knees, but much harder to continue doing during a pandemic I suppose. Fauci is a machine! 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

How has he not wrecked his joints??

Look at his size.  

I used to run quite a bit, but being 6'2" and 220 lbs must have put some stress on my knees. 

I know some ironman tri-athletes and ultra-marathoners that are older than me and just keep chugging along.  They are all the size of Fouci.

• Plus1 2

Just now, knapplc said:

Everyone waiting to institute those is going to be sorry later.

Not exactly good company.

WV, Idaho, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, RI, Delaware, Alaska, and Vermont all have less population than us yet have ordered sheltered in place. Above us on that state population list, NM, MS don't have metropolitans as big as Omaha.

We're barely mitigating here, and I fear our peak is going to be bad. I'm already hearing anecdotal horror stories from family working in the Omaha hospitals. 

Here is something to ponder. Checking stats by Country, then by US States, I noticed that the Bahamas has only 21 cases, and 1 death. Okay, they are a warm weather island of about 400,000 people, but a LOT of tourism including a major cruise port.

Literally 50 miles to the west, same climate and temps, Florida is dealing with 7,750 cases and 101 deaths, and Georgia has reported 4,750 cases with 154 deaths...

What gives there?