The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Just now, DevoHusker said:

Here is something to ponder. Checking stats by Country, then by US States, I noticed that the Bahamas has only 21 cases, and 1 death. Okay, they are a warm weather island of about 400,000 people, but a LOT of tourism including a major cruise port.

Literally 50 miles to the west, same climate and temps, Florida is dealing with 7,750 cases and 101 deaths, and Georgia has reported 4,750 cases with 154 deaths...

What gives there?

My initial thought: underreported tests and results. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

My brother just graduated from nursing school in Jan. Started his job mid feb. And had his first positive corona virus patient yesterday that hes been taken care of on his own during his shifts. He has diabetes and lives with my parents. My dad is 85 with CHF. We are all pretty worried. It was the wrong time for him to get into nursing. 

Here they are offering up the empty college dorms for healthcare workers to stay at if they have family members at home who are immune compromised.

8 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Here is something to ponder. Checking stats by Country, then by US States, I noticed that the Bahamas has only 21 cases, and 1 death. Okay, they are a warm weather island of about 400,000 people, but a LOT of tourism including a major cruise port.

Literally 50 miles to the west, same climate and temps, Florida is dealing with 7,750 cases and 101 deaths, and Georgia has reported 4,750 cases with 154 deaths...

What gives there?

I would assume they do not have adequate testing nor do they have adequate healthcare to meet the demands of those with the virus. I am following a few Caribbean countries where they lack the ability to social distance and have little to no healthcare. For example, Haiti has 16 total reported cases with less than 70 ICU beds and working ventilators for 11 million people. We will find out real fast how herd immunity works with coronavirus in countries like this. They are predicting more deaths in Haiti due to coronavirus than the earthquake in 2010. That would put estimates above 100k deaths in Haiti. If you look at the Dominican Republic, which has better healthcare, you will see they have 1,200+ cases and I bet that is well below what they actually have. 

1 hour ago, QMany said:

Not exactly good company.

WV, Idaho, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, RI, Delaware, Alaska, and Vermont all have less population than us yet have ordered sheltered in place. Above us on that state population list, NM, MS don't have metropolitans as big as Omaha.

We're barely mitigating here, and I fear our peak is going to be bad. I'm already hearing anecdotal horror stories from family working in the Omaha hospitals. 

And contrary to what you might think, epidemics tend to hit rural areas harder than cities:

Many other factors will hurt rural voters more than urban ones. For example, the healthcare system has much less capacity in rural areas. The rural population tends to have worse health, so a higher likelihood of comorbidities that increase the fatality rate of coronavirus. On top of that, they don’t even get more spared by infections: the flu season tends to be delayed in rural areas compared to urban ones, but when it hits, it hits much harder.

0*Cema2J5bGhx1l3v1

This graph shows how flu epidemics impact 600 US cities based on their size. Bigger cities are more to the right and have bigger circles, so the small bubbles on the left show smaller cities. The vertical axis represents how concentrated the flu season is in particular weeks. We can see that big cities concentrate at the bottom right, which means their epidemics are spread over many weeks. Conversely, the smaller cities are, the more they tend to be at the top left, meaning their epidemics are concentrated in fewer weeks. This is believed to be caused partially by the fact that there is always some transmission, and hence ongoing herd immunity, in urban areas. This won’t be the case with the coronavirus, since there’s no herd immunity yet, but what this does illustrate is that smaller cities don’t get spared because they’re small. They do get hit, and when they do, the epidemic also hits hard.

1 hour ago, schriznoeder said:

AYFKM?!

Same guy who rigged the election to become governor.

In other words, the super intelligent, morally upright type of individual you want leading a state during this.

What's really problematic is that I read yesterday that several red state governors including Kemp, FL and TX were basically waiting to issue orders because Trump was still playing down the seriousness of this and they didn't want to be caught contradicting him.

So basically they are throwing public health out the window to follow him down the rabbit hole of stupid.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, QMany said:

Not exactly good company.

WV, Idaho, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, RI, Delaware, Alaska, and Vermont all have less population than us yet have ordered sheltered in place. Above us on that state population list, NM, MS don't have metropolitans as big as Omaha.

We're barely mitigating here, and I fear our peak is going to be bad. I'm already hearing anecdotal horror stories from family working in the Omaha hospitals. 

I agree, but will point out that metro areas of Albuquerque is 700,000 roughly and Jackson is 600,000 and both are very much behind Omaha economically

I am curious how people in Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and other areas of the Midwest are treating the threat of COVID-19.  Are you finding that the population in these areas are taking the threat seriously?

I have the thought that the areas which aren't showing big numbers yet, are still behind the curve of larger states, and if people are too relaxed about the issue they will be hit hard with an outbreak which other states have seen.  I think the below article is interesting.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/politics/kansas-coronavirus/index.html

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am curious how people in Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and other areas of the Midwest are treating the threat of COVID-19.  Are you finding that the population in these areas are taking the threat seriously?

I have the thought that the areas which aren't showing big numbers yet, are still behind the curve of larger states, and if people are too relaxed about the issue they will be hit hard with an outbreak which other states have seen.  I think the below article is interesting.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/politics/kansas-coronavirus/index.html

quite the back story...hopefully she can get it done

Just now, Redux said:

We kinda need crude oil to not completely tank.  But yeah that's just s#!tty timing.

Crude oil prices is such a huge part of the American economy, it's better to have moderate oil prices rather than super low gas prices.  Marginally, a 50 cent drop in gas prices only leads to a bit of savings to the average American, but the economical impact is much worse.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Some are, some aren't.

We are taking it extremely serious at our facility and I know other businesses in the area that are.  However, I know a few other employers in the county don't care and think it's a joke.

I know most small businesses are taking it seriously.  However, I was in a retail establishment the other day to pick up something I needed.  I overheard one of the managers saying, "ahh...I don't listen to all that stuff".

So, I think most in my area are taking it seriously, but there are some idiots still.