The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

39 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Good news!  Trump just negotiated to raise gas prices soon.

Better fill up today.  Thank you, Trump!

MBS:  Hello

Trump: Hey....Trump here....I really wish we could be sending more money to you, could you do whatever it takes to convince Putin to stop the price war so we can raise gas prices?
MBS:  Sure, 

Trump: I would call him myself, but I'm already looking good because I convinced him to send us loads of unusable ventilators so he can look good.

MBS:  Fully understand.  Let me give him a call.

Trump:  Hey....did you know I'm number one on Facebook?

MBS:  silence.......click.

24 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Crude oil prices is such a huge part of the American economy, it's better to have moderate oil prices rather than super low gas prices.  Marginally, a 50 cent drop in gas prices only leads to a bit of savings to the average American, but the economical impact is much worse.

Care to elaborate on why it hurts the economy so much? I know material prices are dropping and our company is working hard to lock in those savings.

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Care to elaborate on why it hurts the economy so much? I know material prices are dropping and our company is working hard to lock in those savings.

Here is a good summary.  https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/09/business/oil-prices-us-economic-impact/index.html

Extreme oil prices in either direction aren't good for the economy, and I think we are at the lowest oil prices in 18 years.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am curious how people in Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and other areas of the Midwest are treating the threat of COVID-19.  Are you finding that the population in these areas are taking the threat seriously?

Omaha here. My mid-size law firm is still running normally, including a 90-year-old receptionist. A few attorneys made decisions to WFH, including me, for their own reasons (kids home, recent travelling, pregnancy, etc.). 

My immediate family is taking it much more seriously than the city, county, and state restrictions which are way behind the national curve.

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Some are, some aren't.

We are taking it extremely serious at our facility and I know other businesses in the area that are.  However, I know a few other employers in the county don't care and think it's a joke.

I know most small businesses are taking it seriously.  However, I was in a retail establishment the other day to pick up something I needed.  I overheard one of the managers saying, "ahh...I don't listen to all that stuff".

So, I think most in my area are taking it seriously, but there are some idiots still.

That's good that "most" are taking it seriously.  That's probably relative of any area of the country.  I could see some small/mid-size city people thinking "this is mostly a big city problem", but the issue with that is the smaller area hospitals are less equipped (in terms of staff and equipment) to handle an outbreak which could occur.  That's why I don't see why there are state-wide "stay at home" ordinances being passed in all states.  

2 minutes ago, QMany said:

Omaha here. My mid-size law firm is still running normally, including a 90-year-old receptionist. A few attorneys made decisions to WFH, including me, for their own reasons (kids home, recent travelling, pregnancy, etc.). 

My immediate family is taking it much more seriously than the city, county, and state restrictions which are way behind the national curve.

That's good your family is taking things seriously, and the time for state restrictions were 2 weeks ago, which would be BEFORE the pandemic got worse in the states I referenced.  It's unfortunate that the state leaders are being more re-active instead of pro-active. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That's good your family is taking things seriously, and the time for state restrictions were 2 weeks ago, which would be BEFORE the pandemic got worse in the states I referenced.  It's unfortunate that the state leaders are being more re-active instead of pro-active. 

My parents and sister live in Kansas City, KS suburbs. Their city/county restrictions have been much more proactive there than NE/IA metros. They were "shelter-in-place" starting two weeks ago. And their Governor imposed that state-wide this week. We're far behind.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

John Cook has some advice for the government leaders.  

He's not wrong.  He can see the Omaha Final Four slipping right through his fingers. It's gotta be frustrating seeing our state leaders not implementing sensible restrictions.

• Plus1 4
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

John Cook has some advice for the government leaders.  

That's the only way you're going to get people to listen to this.  For some reason, getting people sick and killing them doesn't get through their thick skull.  But, missing football would.

• Plus1 4

The total deaths in Italy, Spain, and France are MUCH higher than the reported covid-19 deaths and the normal death rate:

Covid-19’s death toll appears higher than official figures suggest

20200404_GDP101.jpg

This could be unreported covid-19 deaths or deaths from other diseases, accidents, etc. because the healthcare system is overwhelmed.

This might also explain why there are so many urns being ordered in China.

• Plus1 1

Yeah, I can confirm that "most" are taking it seriously in Nebraska, some people more than necessary. I thought Facebook was already a bit of a cesspool but humanity has proven me wrong. I saw someone go on a lengthy diatribe about how two people playing catch in their yard were violating quarantine and that the local news outlets should be hunting these people down.

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Yeah, I can confirm that "most" are taking it seriously in Nebraska, some people more than necessary. I thought Facebook was already a bit of a cesspool but humanity has proven me wrong. I saw someone go on a lengthy diatribe about how two people playing catch in their yard were violating quarantine and that the local news outlets should be hunting these people down.

I have gotten into way too big of an exchange on Nextdoor (which is nearly as bad as Facebook) with a guy who is pissed off at people who have the nerve to drive short distances during this time, even if they practice proper social distancing at their destination.  He is convinced that every gas pump and key pad is full of COVID-19, and every person who gets gas is going to spread the virus. 

23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's the only way you're going to get people to listen to this.  For some reason, getting people sick and killing them doesn't get through their thick skull.  But, missing football would.

Yes I’m glad coach Cook is saying this although it’s unlikely at this point that the 2020 football season can be saved.
Just my opinion and I hate to be a Debby Downer, but unless something happens like the virus mutates into a less virulent form (possible)or we somehow discover an effective treatment that can be widely available in a short amount of time (unlikely) I just can’t imagine team sports until a vaccine is found to be safe, effective and produced in large enough quantities to, again be widely available.
 Which could mean that a year from now, we’re wondering if the 2021 FB season will happen.  Something that could also help the situation would be for “herd” immunity or “acquired” immunity from exposure to the virus ends up being long lasting.     I fear a vaccine could be at least a year or two away still.   Who knows though, with all hands on deck, maybe it’s possible to speed up these somewhat pessimistic timelines.  Widespread testing wouldn’t hurt either.   

• Plus1 1