The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

8 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Yes I’m glad coach Cook is saying this although it’s unlikely at this point that the 2020 football season can be saved.
Just my opinion and I hate to be a Debby Downer, but unless something happens like the virus mutates into a less virulent form (possible)or we somehow discover an effective treatment that can be widely available in a short amount of time (unlikely) I just can’t imagine team sports until a vaccine is found to be safe, effective and produced in large enough quantities to, again be widely available.
 Which could mean that a year from now, we’re wondering if the 2021 FB season will happen.  Something that could also help the situation would be for “herd” immunity or “acquired” immunity from exposure to the virus ends up being long lasting.     I fear a vaccine could be at least a year or two away still.   Who knows though, with all hands on deck, maybe it’s possible to speed up these somewhat pessimistic timelines.  Widespread testing wouldn’t hurt either.   

I work at a university, we were told about 2 weeks ago to start planning on having no fall sports.   That said, the reports coming from Uni. of Pittsburgh are promising.   The one thing I take hope in, right now every research scientist around the world has dropped what they were doing and are focusing on COVID.  I suspect before summer, with information sharing, we will have a cure/vaccine before fall school starts.   Not sure it'll be in time to save fall sports, but winter sports for sure.

My mom is recovering now but she says in Scottsbluff county it is still not taken as seriously as it needs to be by a fair amount of people. Here in Mississippi my employer has continued to break the city guidelines by allowing people into the bar and on site consumption. I let them know today I can't return until we follow the guidelines strictly at all times. They said they have to take some risks but understand if I can't take that on. I really don't understand. It's as simple as being firm with the customer. Why am I as an employee having to be the one concerned about the city guidelines? Crazy

I was listening to my neighbors through the fence as I worked in the yard yesterday.

I wanted to yell and scream, but it wouldn't have gotten me anywhere.

A quote from neighbor wife, "I just don't get!  I mean only FOUR people have died!  This whole quarantine thing is ridiculous!"

She is right, she just doesn't get it...

• Plus1 3
25 minutes ago, sho said:

I suspect before summer, with information sharing, we will have a cure/vaccine before fall school starts.   Not sure it'll be in time to save fall sports, but winter sports for sure.

By “cure”, I’m assuming you mean treatment as a cure for a viral infection is extraordinarily unlikely.  Treatment as a general rule, if it will even exist in this case , doesn’t work for everyone and can cause other adverse effects in some.   It’s important to realize that the discovery of a vaccine is just the first of many necessary steps.  It still has to be proven safe and effective.  That takes time even if streamlined.  And after all that it has to be manufactured in large quantities, marketed, distributed, administered.  We can’t even get enough testing and likely won’t anytime soon.  I’m sorry, but barring some unprecedented breakthroughs, I wouldn’t be to optimistic about winter sports.  Like I said, though, the “all hands on deck “ approach the world is taking could do some amazing things and surprise us.   I’m just trying to keep it real.  

This is so spot on and prophetic in a sense.

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/2/21204228/trump-coronavirus-crisis-impeachment-trial-professor-pamela-karlan-warning

President Donald Trump’s frustration with Democratic governors who have the temerity to criticize his administration’s flailing response to the coronavirus isn’t just leading him to post sour tweets about them. It’s also reflected in disparities surrounding which states are receiving the medical resources they need to keep patients alive and health care workers healthy.

It’s a situation at least one woman, Stanford law professor Pamela Karlan, saw coming, and warned about during Trump’s impeachment trial. In hindsight, her comments look remarkably prescient.

That trial, you might recall, was all about Trump’s abuses of power as it pertained to his efforts to leverage foreign aid to Ukraine into investigations of his domestic political foes. While the details underpinning that scandal may have seemed obscure to many Americans, Karlan in December sounded an alarm about what Trump’s behavior could entail in the event of a domestic crisis like the one the country now faces.

Referring to Trump’s effort to use congressionally appropriated foreign aid as a quid pro quo for political favors, Karlan asked members of Congress to think about what it would look like if Trump subjected governors to similar treatment.

“Imagine living in a part of Louisiana or Texas that’s prone to devastating hurricanes and flooding,” Karlan said. “What would you think if you lived there, and your governor asked for a meeting with the president to discuss getting disaster aid that Congress has provided for. What would you think if that president said, ‘I would like you to do us a favor. I’ll meet with you, and I’ll send the disaster relief, once you brand my opponent a criminal.’ Wouldn’t you know in your gut that such a president had abused his office?”

The professor’s point was that while Trump using his public office to try and force the Ukrainian government may not seem like an obvious abuse of power to some Americans, it clearly would in a hypothetical situation where he dealt with their elected officials in the same manner.

Trump is playing with two sets of rules: One for governors who support him and another for ones who don’t

During an interview with Fox News last Tuesday, Trump responded to Democratic governors like Chris Cuomo (NY), Gretchen Whitmer (MI), and Jay Inslee (WA) criticizing the inadequacy of the federal coronavirus response effort by describing his relationship with blue state leaders as “a two-way street.

“They have to treat us well, also. They can’t say, ‘Oh, gee, we should get this, we should get that,’” Trump added.

Last Friday, Trump took things up a notch by telling reporters he had directed the official running the White House’s response effort, Vice President Mike Pence, to not call Inslee and Whitmer — even as hospitals in each of their states approached the point of being overwhelmed by coronavirus cases — because they aren’t “appreciative” enough of his efforts.

“When they’re not appreciative to me, they’re not appreciative to the Army Corps, they’re not appreciative to FEMA,” Trump said. “It’s not right.”

This is more than just rhetoric. On Wednesday, the Washington Post reported that while staunch Trump ally Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) “promptly” received all of the supplies he asked for from the federal government, states with Democratic governors such as Wisconsin, Illinois, and Massachusetts (not to mention New York and Michigan) were not having the same luck. It’s not clear that Trump’s political grudges are driving that disparity, but the Post reported some officials are “wondering whether politics is playing a role in the response.”

Asked about his disparate treatment of Florida (a state that’s crucial for his reelection hopes) and Massachusetts (a state he won’t win in 2020) during a news conference on Monday, Trump dodged.

Tellingly, on Thursday, Trump took to Twitter to attack New York for allegedly getting off to “a late start” in its coronavirus response efforts. But Trump has had no such criticism for DeSantis, who belatedly issued a state-at-home order on Wednesday — nearly two weeks after Cuomo did — as coronavirus cases in his state exploded. Nor has he criticized any Republican governor in the way he’s gone after Democratic ones.

Ideally, the president of the United States would carry out his duties regardless of whether or not he views people impacted by them as on his political team. This president, however, seemingly can’t help himself from using official acts to advance his own ends.

Karlan tried to warn the nation about this in December. Ultimately, Republican senators didn’t listen. And now, Americans in blue states that could really use some lifesaving help from the federal government are living with the consequences.

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

she says in Scottsbluff county it is still not taken as seriously as it needs to be by a fair amount of people. 

Can confirm. They still have everything open. People are still going to the bars and hanging out together, etc. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

Yes I’m glad coach Cook is saying this although it’s unlikely at this point that the 2020 football season can be saved.
Just my opinion and I hate to be a Debby Downer, but unless something happens like the virus mutates into a less virulent form (possible)or we somehow discover an effective treatment that can be widely available in a short amount of time (unlikely) I just can’t imagine team sports until a vaccine is found to be safe, effective and produced in large enough quantities to, again be widely available.
 Which could mean that a year from now, we’re wondering if the 2021 FB season will happen.  Something that could also help the situation would be for “herd” immunity or “acquired” immunity from exposure to the virus ends up being long lasting.     I fear a vaccine could be at least a year or two away still.   Who knows though, with all hands on deck, maybe it’s possible to speed up these somewhat pessimistic timelines.  Widespread testing wouldn’t hurt either.   

It would be horrible for the athletes and devastating for people whose livelihoods depend on those sporting activities.  It's a huge industry and a big chunk of our economy.

But, I will say this knowing I'll probably get a ton of blow back.  It would probably do one hell of a lot of people some good to do without sports for a year.  I would hate it and I probably fall into this group to.  But, it would give us all some time to realize there's more important things in life than hanging our emotions on if a certain sports team wins a game.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It would be horrible for the athletes and devastating for people whose livelihoods depend on those sporting activities.  It's a huge industry and a big chunk of our economy.

But, I will say this knowing I'll probably get a ton of blow back.  It would probably do one hell of a lot of people some good to do without sports for a year.  I would hate it and I probably fall into this group to.  But, it would give us all some time to realize there's more important things in life than hanging our emotions on if a certain sports team wins a game.

No sports for a year??   why do you want me to be out of a job??  lol