The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

John Cook has some advice for the government leaders.  

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

He's not wrong.  He can see the Omaha Final Four slipping right through his fingers. It's gotta be frustrating seeing our state leaders not implementing sensible restrictions.

The Governor coming out swinging here:

Sadly, even if we do everything necessary here in Nebraska, I don't know if that's going to be enough. Other areas of the country may be so hard-hit that there's no possibility of sports this Fall. 

I've seen some talk of possibly playing Fall sports next Spring.  That would be possible, I guess, and better than nothing. But it would be a logistical nightmare. 

And it would be tough on bodies to have even a truncated football season in Spring, 2021, then turn around and have another full season in four/five months.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I have gotten into way too big of an exchange on Nextdoor (which is nearly as bad as Facebook) with a guy who is pissed off at people who have the nerve to drive short distances during this time, even if they practice proper social distancing at their destination.  He is convinced that every gas pump and key pad is full of COVID-19, and every person who gets gas is going to spread the virus. 

Yeah some people are getting F'in loony about all of this. Some people even think a shelter-in-place order would mean you couldn't even go for a walk in the neighborhood.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Read my first paragraph again.  No, I don't want that.

I know, I'm giving you the blow back you requested (expected)

That said, my fear is real.   working in college athletics, and not having sports until the fall is already alarming for my position.   The loss of fall sports may mean the loss of employment.    

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Yeah some people are getting F'in loony about all of this. Some people even think a shelter-in-place order would mean you couldn't even go for a walk in the neighborhood.

The guy makes good points in doing what we can to limit the spread of the virus, but then he goes off the deep end about people doing any type of driving.  Yes, no driving is better than any driving, but limited driving to a destination where you practice social distancing should be considered reasonable.  

We went for a drive the other day. I figure if we're not getting out of the car, we're not exposing ourselves to anything, and we're not exposing anyone else if we're infected. 

My wife and I used to just go on drives a lot when we first dated. This was probably the first time we did that in 20 years. It was fun, and we looked at parts of town we don't typically drive around.

• Plus1 1

On 4/2/2020 at 3:40 PM, GSG said:

Can confirm. They still have everything open. People are still going to the bars and hanging out together, etc. 

Our family church in Crawford is still open and telling people to come if they want to even though they are livestreaming. I don't get it. My mom works for a company in scottsbluff and they have been pretty good about it at the corporate office but her boss keeps telling people her illness is not COVID related and she should come in when she feels better even though the doctor literally told her she had presumed COVID and to do a 14 day quarantine of which she has 5 days left. But its not confirmed so it doesn't count I guess? 

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We went for a drive the other day. I figure if we're not getting out of the car, we're not exposing ourselves to anything, and we're not exposing anyone else if we're infected. 

My wife and I used to just go on drives a lot when we first dated. This was probably the first time we did that in 20 years. It was fun, and we looked at parts of town we don't typically drive around.

I made that exact argument to this guy and he responded that by driving even a little bit, people would have to fill their gas tank up sooner and be exposed to the germs on the gas pump and keypad to pay.  He wanted to be a social justice warrior, and was trying to be upset with everyone who wasn't being as diligent about things as he is (in his opinion).

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Oh yeah...the early stages of dating-drives.

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Captain Obvious here with breaking news

We still have crazy Americans that don't believe this!

58 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I hope they don't fire him. He did the right thing.

A captain being relieved of command is basically being fired. It's not quite as bad as he'll still have his pay and likely still be allowed to retire, but he'll never get another command.

And there's no way to quarantine more than about one or two dozen sailors on an aircraft carrier, especially if they need medical care.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

A captain being relieved of command is basically being fired. It's not quite as bad as he'll still have his pay and likely still be allowed to retire, but he'll never get another command.

And there's no way to quarantine more than about one or two dozen sailors on an aircraft carrier, especially if they need medical care.

Isn't that second paragraph essentially what the Captain was saying? They needed to do something because that ship is no place to handle this 

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Yes, I agree with the captain.

Right I was just making sure that's what he was sounding the alarm about. I don't quite understand why he is being relieved from his post. Those sailors can't be too happy about that decision 

10 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Right I was just making sure that's what he was sounding the alarm about. I don't quite understand why he is being relieved from his post. Those sailors can't be too happy about that decision 

Probably he was ordered not to make it public. There's a lot of politics in the upper ranks of the military, so could also be the President or Office of the Navy didn't like it.

• Plus1 1