The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I've never served in the military, so I'm probably missing something.

But his sailors obviously had great respect.  What did Capt. Crozier do that got him this?  Did he step outside chain of command, or what?  

He's the captain who wrote a letter to the brass begging to be allowed to go to port to treat his crew because over 1/4 of them had coronavirus, and the rest were going to get it in such cramped quarters.  His ship was losing operational ability due to the spread of the virus, and nothing was being done.

As a result, the Pentagon (and maybe someone higher up than that) relieved him of his command.

Clearly his sailors have more respect for him than the bureaucrats in Washington.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I've never served in the military, so I'm probably missing something.

But his sailors obviously had great respect.  What did Capt. Crozier do that got him this?  Did he step outside chain of command, or what?  

He is the one that wrote a letter sounding the alarm about the COVID-19 outbreak on his ship.  Supposedly, a high percentage of the sailers were sick with COVID and the military wasn't doing anything about it.  His letter precipitated many being evacuated off the ship.

But....the administration was pissed that he did it so, they relieved him of his command.

There was another video of this on Facebook. Here's one of the comments:

Christine Spears My son is on this ship. One of his berthmates was tested and pulled off a few days ago, two cots down from him. There is no way to quarantine. This was spreading and would continue to spread without getting them off ship and completely isolated. I'm sure the captain raised his concerns and got little to no (or a slow) reaction from those people, so he felt he had no choice but to go beyond for the men and women counting on his leadership. It seems to be a hallmark of his career, caring for his sailors. Thank you Captain Crozier.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

@knapplc @BigRedBuster

I mean I knew who he is, just wasn't sure why a letter like that would get him fired.  It's definitely a "bad look" (VERY bad in my civilian opinion).  But this article seems to explain it pretty well.

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2020/04/aircraft-carrier-captain-fired-poor-judgement-over-coronavirus-letter/164336/?oref=d-river

Long story short, he got frustrated and desperate and sent out a public letter to people not involved in the daily workings of his ship.  I'm not sure what normal protocols are, but I'm assuming he didn't follow them.  The Navy apparently was working to resolve the situation by bringing infected sailors to shore.

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

@knapplc @BigRedBuster

I mean I knew who he is, just wasn't sure why a letter like that would get him fired.  It's definitely a "bad look" (VERY bad in my civilian opinion).  But this article seems to explain it pretty well.

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2020/04/aircraft-carrier-captain-fired-poor-judgement-over-coronavirus-letter/164336/?oref=d-river

He did not exercise poor judgment. He's a career officer, and he knew very well what that letter would do.

He understood the risk to his crew was greater than the risk to his career, and he chose to save his crew.

He's a hero.

• Plus1 5

Just now, knapplc said:

He did not exercise poor judgment. He's a career officer, and he knew very well what that letter would do.

He understood the risk to his crew was greater than the risk to his career, and he chose to save his crew.

He's a hero.

In our eyes, yes.

But the military is weird...

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

In our eyes, yes.

But the military is weird...

I've never been in the military either.  But, my understanding is that a commander has the duty to follow orders.....unless they are illegal or he feels that the situation puts his own men/women in unnecessary danger.  He didn't feel the military was dealing with the situation properly.  So, he took his own actions to keep his sailers safe.  It affected his career.  But, I bet if asked, he would do it all again for their sake.  

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've never been in the military either.  But, my understanding is that a commander has the duty to follow orders.....unless they are illegal or he feels that the situation puts his own men/women in unnecessary danger.  He didn't feel the military was dealing with the situation properly.  So, he took his own actions to keep his sailers safe.  It affected his career.  But, I bet if asked, he would do it all again for their sake.  

Agree 100%.  

I actually just read his letter.  There wasn't anything "panicky" about it.   It was based on research and the closest example he had in the "Diamond Princess".  I think it is an overreaction by people higher up the chain.

I was just genuinely curious what they used for rationale.  I can understand it, but do not agree with it.  At all.

If you haven't read his letter, it's in this article.: https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Exclusive-Captain-of-aircraft-carrier-with-15167883.php

• Plus1 1

I know those sailors are already at risk and have been exposed and I get they want to support their Capitan. I may be way off base here but maybe don't gather so many people so close together and further expose yourself? Ultimately they shouldnt even still be on the boat but still

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I know those sailors are already at risk and have been exposed and I get they want to support their Capitan. I may be way off base here but maybe don't gather so many people so close together and further expose yourself? Ultimately they shouldnt even still be on the boat but still

Ummm.....a large part of why he wrote the letter is because it's impossible to social distance on the boat. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ummm.....a large part of why he wrote the letter is because it's impossible to social distance on the boat. 

I get that part but I really don't think that means they should give up on even trying. Again, maybe I'm way off base but it seems to me if you are in a tough position with social distancing in the first place you should be taking every precaution possible since its more likely a good percentage of people are infected 

And on a less light note, the investigations into who's profiting off of this disaster are going to be VERY revealing.  Someone or several someones are making BANK off of forcing states to bid against each other.  And the funny thing is, Trump could easily fix this by nationalizing some of these supply chains.  It's a mystery why he isn't doing that. Isn't it?

Reporting tonight it’s clear that there are huge, huge fortunes being made now on the COVID Crisis. We keep hearing that states and cities are having to bid against each other to purchase lifesaving goods. But who are the counter parties? Those folks have a product ...
2/ in short supply and customers who are willing to pay anything because they need it to prevent residents of their states from dying. The US doing airlifts to bring supplies from abroad for private contractors is part of this. But only one part.
3/ It’s pretty clear the states know what is happening. But they can’t investigate or attack the people who have the product they need. So it’s implicit if you read between the lines but it’s not explicit. If you’ve got the right connections and access to trade networks and ...
4/ political power there are fortunes to be made starting bidding wars for products people are literally dying for. This is much uglier than I think most people imagine. And it’s being made possible by no clear federal response or a federal response which wants to ...
5/ leave disaster response to private sector markets.
  • Thanks 1