The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Just now, DevoHusker said:

I clearly said "on a war ship" it is totally different than in St Paul NE...what part of that don't you get? So now, you would take these 2500 kids off the ship, 2500 kids who are in the group LEAST LIKELY to suffer serious ill effects or any effects AT ALL, and put them in a hospital setting to overload the local patients who currently need help, or overwhelm the medical staff, possibly infecting the local population...sounds great 

I would get them off of a ship where they have absolutely no chance of social distancing and allow them to be in a setting where they can all self quarantine. Not all of them are going to end up in the hospital but some will and there is no telling who that is going to be. Letting them all get infected is in no way shape or form a plan that should ever be considered 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

It is for some. Comments like this is why I know for a fact you don't take this seriously even though you try and pretend like you do. Awful take on the situation.

you have absolutely no idea how serious I take it. I have an immuno compromised father and an 18 month old granddaughter that I havent seen in over 3 weeks...just because you don't agree with my take doesn't mean you know anything for a fact

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I would get them off of a ship where they have absolutely no chance of social distancing and allow them to be in a setting where they can all self quarantine. Not all of them are going to end up in the hospital but some will and there is no telling who that is going to be. Letting them all get infected is in no way shape or form a plan that should ever be considered 

right now, about 30-40% infection rate in densely populated areas...of that percentage 15% get more than a mild dose.

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

right now, about 30-40% infection rate in densely populated areas...of that percentage 15% get more than a mild dose.

That infection rate is because and only because social distancing measures have been taking place in those areas. You say you care but you don't care about these sailors. Leaving them all to get infected is not an opinion anyone should hold. Sorry not sorry about it. My mom is in the hospital this morning because of this crap so you can spare me your opinion 

• Plus1 1

And to anybody that knows someone with this, tell them to really be careful even when they think they are out of the woods. You've probably heard it before but I'll say it again. I was talking with my mom on the phone yesterday and she said she felt great, better than she has all week. This morning she is in the hospital because she woke up coughing for 30 minutes and almost passed out. This stuff is absolutely no joke and we should be doing everything we can to keep as many from catching this as possible.

Edit: my mom is 44 years old. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

And to anybody that knows someone with this, tell them to really be careful even when they think they are out of the woods. You've probably heard it before but I'll say it again. I was talking with my mom on the phone yesterday and she said she felt great, better than she has all week. This morning she is in the hospital because she woke up coughing for 30 minutes and almost passed out. This stuff is absolutely no joke and we should be doing everything we can to keep as many from catching this as possible.

best wishes for you and your mom.   and great advice for everyone.   this stuff IS serious.

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Can we just touch on this gem from Slumlord McFailson last night? It struck me is incredibly dimwitted at the time and Spanberger nailed it.

It's hard to pin down exactly what he thinks this stockpile is for. Maybe it's supposed to be used only for a national emergency that doesn't take place in any individual states?

Having this guy weaseling his way into the middle of a national pandemic crisis is going to cost American lives. Period.

I can't believe I'm going to do this....

I can see his point.  If New York State has a surplus, that should be used in New York City before feds send theirs.  That way the Fed surplus can be used to help as many places that need it.  I'd imagine it is easier for Nebraska to request federal assistance when needed than try to find states with surpluses that are willing to share.

...now i need to go take a hot shower...

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Best wishes, and the best of care, for your mother. 

23 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I clearly said "on a war ship" it is totally different than in St Paul NE...what part of that don't you get? So now, you would take these 2500 kids off the ship, 2500 kids who are in the group LEAST LIKELY to suffer serious ill effects or any effects AT ALL, and put them in a hospital setting to overload the local patients who currently need help, or overwhelm the medical staff, possibly infecting the local population...sounds great 

Do you understand that the vessel is at a Navy base where the sailors can be quarantined on base in the barracks where they can social distance? And also that there's hospital facilities on shore that don't exist on the ship?

What you are instead suggesting is that they stay at sea where close quarters will lead to an explosion of infections and there's limited doctors, nurses, and medical equipment. That's a recipe for maximum needless deaths.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I can't believe I'm going to do this....

I can see his point.  If New York State has a surplus, that should be used in New York City before feds send theirs.  That way the Fed surplus can be used to help as many places that need it.  I'd imagine it is easier for Nebraska to request federal assistance when needed than try to find states with surpluses that are willing to share.

...now i need to go take a hot shower...

Kinda jumping in here without having read everything, but do any states have a surplus?

Just now, funhusker said:

Or use it to vent!

I'd understand...

I'm down in Mississippi and I couldn't visit the hospital even if I were back at home so there isn't much I can do but have my face glued to my phone for updates. It's hard for sure. She is stable but it's just a helpless feeling at the moment  

I'm down in Mississippi and I couldn't visit the hospital even if I were back at home so there isn't much I can do but have my face glued to my phone for updates. It's hard for sure. She is stable but it's just a helpless feeling at the moment  

Thoughts and prayers for you, your mom, and family.   I wish her the very best. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Kinda jumping in here without having read everything, but do any states have a surplus?

If we take Jared at his word: yes

I didn't watch the presser, just the clip @Danny Bateman posted.  But in that clip, Kushner said they want to make sure cities use the state surplus before the feds send theirs.  Maybe there was more to it :dunno