The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

If we take Jared at his word: yes

Curious about why a person would do this. Nothing in the past three years suggests he can be taken at his word. He hasn't done anything to be given the benefit of the doubt. He is inexperienced at this level and has had negligible net positive effect on the lives of regular Americans.

Oh, and there's this...

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Curious about why a person would do this. Nothing in the past three years suggests he can be taken at his word. He hasn't done anything to be given the benefit of the doubt. He is inexperienced at this level and has had negligible net positive effect on the lives of regular Americans.

Oh, and there's this...

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Oh, and there's this...

I don't think that I'm assuming "too much" when I believe that many states have some sort of stockpile of medicines and supplies. 

"Many states have their own stockpiles that can be used with permission from the FDA and CDC, although HHS doesn't track those supplies. Once state resources run out, they can request federal stockpile access. "

https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/amid-mounting-shortage-5-facts-about-the-nations-stockpile-of-emergency-m/574602/

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

It is for some. Comments like this is why I know for a fact you don't take this seriously even though you try and pretend like you do. Awful take on the situation.

It's tricky. An aircraft carrier is no different than a Carnaval Cruise line, except you might expect a stronger government response that would test and treat the sailors on the ship, already in self-contained quarantine. These sailors are facing no more of a death sentence than the 2,500 people still stuck on the two cruise ships off the Florida coast, and are better equipped to deal with the conditions. None of these people deserve illness or death.......although I'm almost certain people boarded these vacation cruises when the risk was well known and a cruise ship was the last place thinking people wanted to be. A baffling decision by both the passengers and the cruise lines. 

My question is whether the Navy brass was looking at this in strictly PR terms and whether that order came down from on high, or whether they simply didn't have a good solution in place, as with the stranded cruise ships. Either way, they doubled down on embarrassing themselves. 

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don't think that I'm assuming "too much" when I believe that many states have some sort of stockpile of medicines and supplies. 

"Many states have their own stockpiles that can be used with permission from the FDA and CDC, although HHS doesn't track those supplies. Once state resources run out, they can request federal stockpile access. "

https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/amid-mounting-shortage-5-facts-about-the-nations-stockpile-of-emergency-m/574602/

You're assuming Jared isn't lying when he implies New York doesn't deserve access to taxpayer-funded national stockpiles, or that they haven't used whatever resources they had available. You should not assume that.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You're assuming Jared isn't lying when he implies New York doesn't deserve access to taxpayer-funded national stockpiles, or that they haven't used whatever resources they had available. You should not assume that.

Where did Jared say that in the clip?

Like I said, all I saw was the clip.  I didn't assume anything about New York. 

edit: my comment was using New York as an example.  I have no idea if NY State has a surplus or not; Nebraska either.  That way my implication, not his...

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

He's the captain who wrote a letter to the brass begging to be allowed to go to port to treat his crew because over 1/4 of them had coronavirus, and the rest were going to get it in such cramped quarters.  His ship was losing operational ability due to the spread of the virus, and nothing was being done.

As a result, the Pentagon (and maybe someone higher up than that) relieved him of his command.

Clearly his sailors have more respect for him than the bureaucrats in Washington.

He should just commit a war crime. Maybe murder some civilians. Then Trump will give him his command back...

• Plus1 4
9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's tricky. An aircraft carrier is no different than a Carnaval Cruise line, except you might expect a stronger government response that would test and treat the sailors on the ship, already in self-contained quarantine. These sailors are facing no more of a death sentence than the 2,500 people still stuck on the two cruise ships off the Florida coast, and are better equipped to deal with the conditions. None of these people deserve illness or death.......although I'm almost certain people boarded these vacation cruises when the risk was well known and a cruise ship was the last place thinking people wanted to be. A baffling decision by both the passengers and the cruise lines. 

My question is whether the Navy brass was looking at this in strictly PR terms and whether that order came down from on high, or whether they simply didn't have a good solution in place, as with the stranded cruise ships. Either way, they doubled down on embarrassing themselves. 

I'd say its slightly different from a cruise in that the Navy has their own facilities to house and take care of its sailors. Why not make room at a navy base? I don't agree with leaving the cruise ships on their own either but at least passengers can quarantine in their room and likely maintain some level of social distancing. That can't happen on an aircraft carrier AND the Navy has the facilities to alleviate this situation. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'd say its slightly different from a cruise in that the Navy has their own facilities to house and take care of its sailors. Why not make room at a navy base? I don't agree with leaving the cruise ships on their own either but at least passengers can quarantine in their room and likely maintain some level of social distancing. That can't happen on an aircraft carrier AND the Navy has the facilities to alleviate this situation. 

Agree. 

• Plus1 1

A residual affect of the world wide 'shut down' - there is  "not a whole lot of shakin going on"

Jerry Lee Lewis would have to rewrite his song if he were alive today:

Well I said shake baby shake
I said shake baby shake
I said shake it baby shake it
I said shake baby shake
Come on over
Whole lot of shakin goin' on

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/world/coronavirus-earth-seismic-noise-scn-trnd/index.html

Once-crowded city streets are now empty. Highway traffic has slowed to a minimum. And fewer and fewer people can be found milling about outside.

Global containment measures to combat the spread of the coronavirus have seemingly made the world much quieter. Scientists are noticing it, too.
Around the world, seismologists are observing a lot less ambient seismic noise -- meaning, the vibrations generated by cars, trains, buses and people going about their daily lives. And in the absence of that noise, Earth's upper crust is moving just a little less.
Thomas Lecocq, a geologist and seismologist at the Royal Observatory in Belgium, first pointed out this phenomenon in Brussels.

Brussels is seeing about a 30% to 50% reduction in ambient seismic noise since mid-March, around the time the country started implementing school and business closures and other social distancing measures, according to Lecocq. That noise level is on par with what seismologists would see on Christmas Day, he said.

Gov. Polis Calls On Colorado To Adopt A ‘Strong Mask Culture’ To Fight Coronavirus

In a bid to limit the spread of coronavirus, and speed the forthcoming economic recovery, Gov. Jared Polis asked Coloradans to adopt face masks when they leave their home for essential functions allowed under the state’s ‘stay-at-home’ order.

“When you’re out of the home, you should use a mask at all times,” Polis said Friday.

He acknowledged the frustration that the state feels as the need to stay home to fight the pandemic has stretched into April. Some of those frustrations have been driven by the job situation, and masks are part of what the administration sees as a means to help the state get back on its feet.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1