The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Trump must own stock in the maker of this drug. That's the only explanation for this weeks-long endorsement of something that has no proof of working.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's got to be SO frustrating as a doctor having to sit there and watch a laymen with no relevant expertise pipe up on stage to contradict what you've just told the nation. They're legitimately trying to give medical advice and he just can't stop himself from trashing it because he feels his fragile ego being threatened. A slap across the face. Made me so mad reading the quote. People have no business taking medical advice from this buffoon but they will anyway because he can't just shut the hell up.

I'm a lowly PT. But if someone with no training in my field told somebody ice and heat was all they needed to heal their injured knee or sore back I'd have a hard time not whacking them over the head with a dumbbell.

2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

This would be a lot smarter if his daddy hadn't told the states to f#ck off and find their own supplies.

They screwed the states and governors needing their help coming and going. Meanwhile states are out here getting price gouged from suppliers and putting out emergency alerts for personnel to help treat patients.

Perhaps we could consider not sticking our necks out for Kushner and giving him the benefit of the doubt since he is an incompetent trust fund baby ghoul who has no business being anywhere near this crisis but is squarely in the middle of it solely due to nepotism?

Or maybe despite his incompetence there's still truth in his words...

Price gouging isn't necessarily related to the stockpile. It was going to happen sooner or later because there would never have been enough supplies in the fed's reserves to cover an event like this; it's supposed to help bridge the gap. That being said the executive should step in and ensure that everything is being done to help remove roadblocks and manipulation.

9 hours ago, ZRod said:

Or maybe despite his incompetence there's still truth in his words...

Price gouging isn't necessarily related to the stockpile. It was going to happen sooner or later because there would never have been enough supplies in the fed's reserves to cover an event like this; it's supposed to help bridge the gap. That being said the executive should step in and ensure that everything is being done to help remove roadblocks and manipulation.

Not if Trump widely used DPA to force companies to produce and federalize the supply chain for the time being. Don't understand why we are defending Kushner and company. It was going to happen sooner or later is no excuse at all when actually there are many ways the price gouging could have been and can be prevented. There's no reason to defend the absolute lack of preperation and leadership 

• Plus1 2

This is really bad. At some point these healthcare workers aren't going to take being used and abused anymore. What happens then? We need to be supporting our healthcare workers in every way possible but it seems like they are just being taken advantage of. Not enough PPE, threats of getting fired if you talk about it, pay cuts in the middle of a pandemic where doctors and nurses are losing their lives. At what point do they say enough is enough? I know they have big hearts and want to help people but at what point does self preservation kick in? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, commando said:

most likely true knapp....but i also heard that maybe trump has tested positive and he is taking the drug hoping it saves him.   pure speculation...but with trump....i can see that being true also.       

Hoping it saves him...? A majority of positives may not even know they have it...what do you mean? 

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

This is really bad. At some point these healthcare workers aren't going to take being used and abused anymore. What happens then? We need to be supporting our healthcare workers in every way possible but it seems like they are just being taken advantage of. Not enough PPE, threats of getting fired if you talk about it, pay cuts in the middle of a pandemic where doctors and nurses are losing their lives. At what point do they say enough is enough? I know they have big hearts and want to help people but at what point does self preservation kick in? 

My brother in law works in HR for Mayo.  I was talking to him last night and he said Mayo projects to have a budget shortfall of up to 1 BILLION dollars because of cuts to their elective surgeries...

Edit:  my wife is also a nurse, the bolded already is.  Her hospital has no N95 masks that fit her or several coworkers.  They've already discussed that they will most likely ask to be fired rather than be forced to work with known COVID patients without proper protection.  She said the fact of mentioning it to their dept head brought on a wave of panic; the hospital is scrambling (and so far doing a very good job under the circumstances) trying to get the masks they need.

• Thanks 1

good read.   seems that someone foresaw this and tried to get us ready

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/george-bush-2005-wait-pandemic-late-prepare/story?id=69979013

"A pandemic is a lot like a forest fire," Bush said at the time. "If caught early it might be extinguished with limited damage. If allowed to smolder, undetected, it can grow to an inferno that can spread quickly beyond our ability to control it."

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not if Trump widely used DPA to force companies to produce and federalize the supply chain for the time being. Don't understand why we are defending Kushner and company. It was going to happen sooner or later is no excuse at all when actually there are many ways the price gouging could have been and can be prevented. There's no reason to defend the absolute lack of preperation and leadership 

Yes, Trump should have used it and foreseen what was going to happen. That's a separate, although somewhat related, issue from what Kushner said.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This would be okay if the fed was organized and distributing the masks to those that need it most. Instead they are saying the masks are theirs, whatever that means. 

There’s almost zero chance Kushner isn’t trying to profit from this. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

This would be okay if the fed was organized and distributing the masks to those that need it most. Instead they are saying the masks are theirs, whatever that means. 

There’s almost zero chance Kushner isn’t trying to profit from this. 

Yep. I don't get why anyone would suspect an outfit being run by Trump and Kushner would be operating magnanimously in good faith to protect people rather than to serve their own interests.

These people do not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Yep. I don't get why anyone would suspect an outfit being run by Trump and Kushner would be operating magnanimously in good faith to protect people rather than to serve their own interests.

These people do not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

It is really baffling watching the defense of Kushner. At no point has he ever earned the benefit of the doubt. Why argue for it now?

• Plus1 1