The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

5 hours ago, commando said:

good read.   seems that someone foresaw this and tried to get us ready

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/george-bush-2005-wait-pandemic-late-prepare/story?id=69979013

"A pandemic is a lot like a forest fire," Bush said at the time. "If caught early it might be extinguished with limited damage. If allowed to smolder, undetected, it can grow to an inferno that can spread quickly beyond our ability to control it."

From the same article.  In light of the current WH occupant, how I wish we had GWB, Obama, or GHWB or even Clinton in office today. 

The president recognized that an outbreak was a different kind of disaster than the ones the federal government had been designed to address.

"To respond to a pandemic, we need medical personnel and adequate supplies of equipment," Bush said. "In a pandemic, everything from syringes to hospital beds, respirators masks and protective equipment would be in short supply."

Bush told the gathered scientists that they would need to develop a vaccine in record time.

"If a pandemic strikes, our country must have a surge capacity in place that will allow us to bring a new vaccine on line quickly and manufacture enough to immunize every American against the pandemic strain," he said.

Bush set out to spend $7 billion building out his plan. His cabinet secretaries urged their staffs to take preparations seriously. The government launched a website, www.pandemicflu.gov, that is still in use today. But as time passed, it became increasingly difficult to justify the continued funding, staffing and attention, Bossert said.

"You need to have annual budget commitment. You need to have institutions that can survive any one administration. And you need to have leadership experience," Bossert said. "All three of those can be effected by our wonderful and unique form of government in which you transfer power every four years."

Bush declined, through a spokesman, to comment on the unfolding crisis or discuss the current response. But his remarks from 15 years ago still resonate.

"If we wait for a pandemic to appear," he warned, "it will be too late to prepare. And one day many lives could be needlessly lost because we failed to act today."

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

From the same article.  In light of the current WH occupant, how I wish we had GWB, Obama, or GHWB or even Clinton in office today. 

Or any of the people they had to beat out for office. I'd feel a whole lot safer with someone like Mitt Romney in office right now. Literally anyone but this guy.

• Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

Or any of the people they had to beat out for office. I'd feel a whole lot safer with someone like Mitt Romney in office right now. Literally anyone but this guy.

Mitt would have had the compassion this job requires now. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

https://wfpl.org/federal-government-outbids-kentucky-for-medical-equipment-amid-shortage/

Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear says his administration is doing everything it can to prepare hospitals to be inundated with cases of COVID-19, but nearly every time the state has placed an order for medical protective gear, the federal government has prevented its transfer.

THESE EFFING DOPES

So what's the end game? That they just kill all the left-leaning people with this cleansing plague?

Because here's what's going to happen:

Even though the right-leaning people are mostly Olds who will die and consequently no longer vote, the Lefts who aren't getting their Plague medicine will see that certain places/states are safer, and THEY'RE GOING TO MIGRATE THERE. You DOPES.

And if they don't, there are plenty of us Lefts in the Right-leaning states who will do what we're supposed to while the Right-leaners all don't and die, and you'll have survivors who are us Left-Leaners and we'll take over your states.

You DOPES.

9 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

All I read is that we dont have enough test kits...

But we're testing zoo tigers...? In the world's hottest hotspot...? Smh

I had the same thought at first.  But then started to think about it and started to come around to thinking that it was definitely a test worth taking.

I'm guessing this confirms human-to-tiger(animal) transmission, what would that mean for animal-to-human transmission?  This would be the first step in a pretty important study.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I had the same thought at first.  But then started to think about it and started to come around to thinking that it was definitely a test worth taking.

I'm guessing this confirms human-to-tiger(animal) transmission, what would that mean for animal-to-human transmission?  This would be the first step in a pretty important study.

Also why big cats and not domestic animals? Maybe the WHO was wrong and it does spread to domestic animals? Or maybe they have some sort of protection? Are other animals like rats, mice ect affected?  This discovery opens up alot of questions that when answered will equip us with more information to overcome the virus

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I agree to a point...but why not dogs and domestic cats if you are going to waste precious test kits.

8 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I agree to a point...but why not dogs and domestic cats if you are going to waste precious test kits.

I don't know the answer to that.  But a tiger in the Bronx zoo under the care of professionals seems like a much better case study than "Fluffy".

Edit: The zoo knows exactly what the cat has eaten and when, who had access to the cat and when, they know it's entire medical history, etc.  The article I read says they are pretty sure of the exact zookeeper that gave it to the tiger.  These are pretty important things to know.