The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

If you believe the president didn't see Navarro's warning memos, then I have some very fertile farm land I'd like to sell to you in the middle of the Sahara Desert. 

So, let's give trump the benefit of the doubt.  If he didn't see the memos then one could also conclude:

1. The WH communication is broken, disfunctional

2.  The president isn't in tune with his staff

3.  The president is distracted by golfing

4.  The staff is fearful to bring something negative up to the president

All of it points to failed leadership. If the Jan 29 memo from Navarro was important, and it was, then there was no excuse for it

not to have been seen and read by the president.  So either he is lying, again, or the administration is so dysfunctional that it failed

in this important duty of protecting the citizens. 

I'm thinking he is lying, because he can never be seen as wrong or be responsible for anything so negative.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-adviser-warned-of-millions-of-coronavirus-deaths-back-in-january-trump-says-he-only-saw-the-memo-this-week-005304311.html

President Trump said Tuesday that he did not learn of two memos written in January and February by his own economic adviser warning that a COVID-19 pandemic could kill as many as 2 million Americans until “maybe a day ago.”

“I heard he wrote some memos talking about pandemic,” Trump said during a White House coronavirus task force briefing, “I didn’t see them. I didn’t look for them, either.”

On Jan. 29, Peter Navarro warned his colleagues at the White House that if the administration did not mount an aggressive containment strategy for the coronavirus, it could kill more than half a million Americans and cost the country nearly $6 trillion.

Nearly a month later, on Feb. 23, Navarro distributed an even more dire second memo in which he said as many as 100 million Americans could be infected with COVID-19, which might kill upwards of 2 million U.S. citizens.

On Feb. 27, Trump briefed the country on the coronavirus outbreak, assuring Americans that it was well under control.

“When you have 15 people,” Trump said of the number of reported cases in the U.S. at the time, “and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”

Pressed on whether he had been apprised of Navarro’s warnings, the president said Tuesday he had not.

“I asked him about it just a little while ago, because I read something about a memo,” Trump recalled. “I said, ‘Did you do a memo?’ I didn’t look for, I didn’t see it, I didn’t ask for him to show it to me.”

For weeks, as the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 steadily spread across the country, Trump has stood at the briefing podium and insisted the pandemic caused by the coronavirus, the “invisible enemy,” could not have been foreseen.

“Nobody knew there would be a pandemic or epidemic of this proportion,” Trump said on March 19.

But confronted with the existence of Navarro’s memos, the president shifted his explanation. “Nobody said, It’s going to happen, but there is a possibility, there always has been a possibility, but people wouldn’t talk about it,” Trump said.

Asked when he first learned about Navarro’s warnings, Trump said “maybe a day ago, two days ago.” Their existence was first reported Monday by Axios.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

If you believe the president didn't see Navarro's warning memos, then I have some very fertile farm land I'd like to sell to you in the middle of the Sahara Desert. 

So, let's give trump the benefit of the doubt.  If he didn't see the memos then one could also conclude:

1. The WH communication is broken, disfunctional

2.  The president isn't in tune with his staff

3.  The president is distracted by golfing

4.  The staff is fearful to bring something negative up to the president

All of it points to failed leadership. If the Jan 29 memo from Navarro was important, and it was, then there was no excuse for it

not to have been seen and read by the president.  So either he is lying, again, or the administration is so dysfunctional that it failed

in this important duty of protecting the citizens. 

I'm thinking he is lying, because he can never be seen as wrong or be responsible for anything so negative.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-adviser-warned-of-millions-of-coronavirus-deaths-back-in-january-trump-says-he-only-saw-the-memo-this-week-005304311.html

I honestly think he may not have seen anything.  If you remember, it's well known that he doesn't read or study reports.

The blame still falls in his lap and, others in the WH surely saw them and probably ignored them knowing what attitude he would have about it.

3 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Not sure what you're alluding to...but the grocery store workers for the conglomerate I work for are getting paid weekly and monthly bonuses even if they only work 10 hours per week.

If they aren’t $2400 a month, then it’s not worth people around people all day 

35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I honestly think he may not have seen anything.  If you remember, it's well known that he doesn't read or study reports.

The blame still falls in his lap and, others in the WH surely saw them and probably ignored them knowing what attitude he would have about it.

Plausible deniability