The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

No, it's not normal, constructive, honest or healthy to lean towards conspiracy theories on how the world works or using them to help make decisions.

Complete and blind trust in governments and the media is not constructive, honest, or healthy.  You do realize that neither of them has the citizens best interests in mind 100% of the time.  Scientists, doctors, government officials, and health care providers are also offering conflicting opinions.  Conspiracy was a strong word but my intention is that the average person should view what they read and hear as opinions instead of 100% fact right now.    

2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Complete and blind trust in governments and the media is not constructive, honest, or healthy.  You do realize that neither of them has the citizens best interests in mind 100% of the time.  Scientists, doctors, government officials, and health care providers are also offering conflicting opinions.  Conspiracy was a strong word but my intention is that the average person should view what they read and hear as opinions instead of 100% fact right now.    

Who said anything about complete and blind trust?

There is a big difference between questioning and confirming information you get and....believing conspiracy theories.

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Who said anything about complete and blind trust?

There is a big difference between questioning and confirming information you get and....believing conspiracy theories.

Typically if a person is arguing their point to be correct, they trust it.  I added the blind because in reality none of us know for sure right now.  Not even the doctors and scientists.

False or inaccurate reporting of the number of deaths is extremely harmful to the world so you are correct, I do believe in some.  What is the agenda?  I think it's money.  In NY 3700 Covid-19 deaths at 13k each is almost 50 million dollars.  Other states are receiving a lot more per case.  I believe a lot more information will come out as time goes on proving more wrong information.  None of it will fix the situation but maybe as a society we will handle the next virus a little better.       

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

You like Apples, Mitch?

This is essentially the point I make whenever ignoramuses complain about California. They put a s#!t ton of money into the country. If you don't bail them out maybe you should stop taking their tax revenue.

Cool map below - blue states take more than they give. I guess I agree with Mitch then, the blue states on this map don't deserve a bailout ;).

EWTTd7DWkAAwhqO?format=jpg&name=large

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Typically if a person is arguing their point to be correct, they trust it.  I added the blind because in reality none of us know for sure right now.  Not even the doctors and scientists.

False or inaccurate reporting of the number of deaths is extremely harmful to the world so you are correct, I do believe in some.  What is the agenda?  I think it's money.  In NY 3700 Covid-19 deaths at 13k each is almost 50 million dollars.  Other states are receiving a lot more per case.  I believe a lot more information will come out as time goes on proving more wrong information.  None of it will fix the situation but maybe as a society we will handle the next virus a little better.       

I'm sorry, but this theory is pretty much BS . They are counting deaths of people who were quarantined at home or did not test positive but died of something that resembles COVID-19. They're not just adding random deaths to the tally. Many times people are testing negative but exhibiting multiple symptoms that are related to COVID-19. My fiancée's very first patients were testing negative but showing every sign of being infected.

This is a normal thing to do. My grandfather died 18 years ago, likely from West Nile. He wasn't tested, but he was reported in the news as having died of the disease.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

So it's not a fact when NY state comes out and says they are counting 3700 deaths in the total that were never tested?  That's as factual as you can get.  I always knew CNN had a loyal fan base... I just never met one of them.  Check that off the list.   

They're transparent about it. Why do you think H1N1 deaths in the US were presented as a range between 8,868-18,306? This is not a new concept. CNN blows.

2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

So it's not a fact when NY state comes out and says they are counting 3700 deaths in the total that were never tested?  That's as factual as you can get.  I always knew CNN had a loyal fan base... I just never met one of them.  Check that off the list.   

First, from your own factcheck link you provided as "proof" it was happening:

Numerous readers have asked us about such claims, some of which imply that hospitals are making money by simply listing patients as having the disease — when in fact the payments referenced are for treating patients. And while some of the posts imply that fraud may be afoot, multiple experts told us that such theories of hospitals deliberately miscoding patients as COVID-19 are not supported by any evidence. 

Second, you still haven't answered this question:  If NYC is over-counting COVID deaths, then why are there 17k excess deaths and only 13k of them are listed as due to COVID?

Third, yes they are counting probable COVID deaths.  If they showed all the signs of COVID, but died before being tested, then I don't see why they shouldn't be counted.  And due to limited testing resources, I would much rather have them testing alive people then those that are already deceased.

And fourth, what does CNN have to do with anything?  My question above is based on facts.  Your theory is from a Minnesota state senator that spouted it on Ingraham who then walked it back when questioned about it later, but not before is spread like wildfire on various right wing media sites.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Landlord said:

A not insignifcant amount of those would be due to stress, depression, and sedentary due to shelter in place orders/loss of work. 

Do you have any evidence that it's not insignificant? I'd like to see that because it would really surprise me. I'm pretty sure it's not significant. It's extremely unlikely that a significant # of people would die due to a couple extra weeks of being sedentary. Especially since so many people are sedentary in their jobs already. Sedentary lifestyle is not a quick killer, it's something that happens over many years. It's also extremely unlikely that stress/depression are going to build up fast enough in 3-4 weeks to cause a significant increase in the number of suicides/heart attacks. 

I could see over time, months/years, due to job losses or an extended period of more sedentary lifestyles, we might see a significant increase in deaths due to those. But a few weeks, probably not.

33 minutes ago, Fru said:

Waiting for some Trumpers to come in and defend this. 

that's not what he said.  he didn't mean it that way.   the fake news media is spinning what he said in a bad way.   you jsut don't know how brilliant he is...it will work!!!

• Plus1 4