The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

10 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

What that announcement from WHO in combination with other evidence we have had tells me we can say with some safety there is still a lot we don't know about COVID 19

There is a lot we don’t know. And it’s interesting how the absence of concrete data can be made to suggest any number of conclusions. 

4 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

There is a lot we don’t know. And it’s interesting how the absence of concrete data can be made to suggest any number of conclusions. 

I suggest you read the thread that follows that tweet. They are basing this announcement on research showing a low antibody count in some recovered patients. I'd say there is less evidence of immunity than there is of no immunity though I don't think a conclusion can be drawn either way at this point. Assuming immunity based on history is the best you can do in absence of data but I think as more data comes out that becomes a murkier subject as it relates to COVID 

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I suggest you read the thread that follows that tweet. They are basing this announcement on research showing a low antibody count in some recovered patients. I'd say there is less evidence of immunity than there is of no immunity though I don't think a conclusion can be drawn either way at this point. Assuming immunity based on history is the best you can do in absence of data but I think as more data comes out that becomes a murkier subject as it relates to COVID 

The issue I take is in the way the tweet is written. NO evidence that people gain immunity after infection?  We have no historical data on viruses of this class that suggest people gain immunity after infection?  

The language of the tweet could have been written ‘not enough evidence yet to determine degree of immunity after initial infection’.  I believe that to be more forthcoming.  

ive never tried kombucha before, so technically there is NO evidence that it’s not toxic to me.  

4 hours ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4783265/

Just to be contrarian, I'm seeing this floated around.  Injecting blood "disinfected" by UV light has been used in the past.  Reading the conclusion of that link there are obviously risks involved but more research is called for.  Of course if this is what Trump meant he should have said so. But the media will also not point this alternative treatment out and will run with the Lysol angle so idiots will try it and injure themselves :dumdum Darwinism and all that (also note the people who ingested fish tank cleaner aren't Trump supporters).

Bull s#!t about what you said about the media. I’ve seen pretty much every valid option discussed in the media. 

And, that is not what he was talking about. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

Yeah, I say why not both? "We thought if anything it would help us ‘cus that's what we've been hearing on the news." The lady's own words.

Toilet paper hoarding was never recommended by the administration, yet: “It might seem weird that people would hoard toilet paper because toilet paper is not going to prevent you from getting infected. I think what’s happening is this is going viral with images of people panic-buying toilet paper."

Yes the media can make things worse. Human psychology is weird like that...

This is a strawman argument. The media has a responsibility to the public and when they build things up, like the toilet paper report, they can sometimes be a part of the problem. 

Good thing I never claimed otherwise. They are definitely not part of the problem when the words come straight from the president during a press briefing. 

10 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Is Trump banking on the US finding a vaccine first and then holding the rest of the world ransom, or what?

It’s his acute business sense. He’s putting together a deal. Artfully setting up negotiations with the WHO. It’s a deal that rings of artistry and craftsmanship, and the skill is rare indeed. The execution of this skill is unique. I call it the ‘Art of the Deal’

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, funhusker said:

Is Trump banking on the US finding a vaccine first and then holding the rest of the world ransom, or what?

I could be wrong but I think vaccines are or can be patented but the patent needs to be launched by the (in most cases) doctor or his lawyers.  I think Jonas Salk refused to patent the Polio vaccine because he wanted to make sure it was going to be cheap and easy to get.

So, once it is developed it will probably (I am guessing) be shared/copied quickly.  Unless Trump creates the vaccine which will be a mixture of Clorox, Lysol, Pine Sol and probably a few dashes of Trump Aftershave. 

34 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I could be wrong but I think vaccines are or can be patented but the patent needs to be launched by the (in most cases) doctor or his lawyers.  I think Jonas Salk refused to patent the Polio vaccine because he wanted to make sure it was going to be cheap and easy to get.

So, once it is developed it will probably (I am guessing) be shared/copied quickly.  Unless Trump creates the vaccine which will be a mixture of Clorox, Lysol, Pine Sol and probably a few dashes of Trump Aftershave. 

Patents are just laws and governments retain the right to break a patent for the public good. So doesn't really matter who comes up with the covid-19 vaccine, every government in the world will start producing it if they can regardless of patent law.