The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If a team of doctors/scientists are able to get a reliable vaccine for COVID-19, those men and women will be so famous and popular, that they will be able to make as much $ they will ever want to make. 

Yes, but the US, China, Germany, etc. aren't going to endanger their citizens based on a patent.

Despite the doom and gloom. The US is doing OK managing the pandemic from what I can see. Just using John Hopkin's website and Google here's what deaths per  one hundred thousand looks like by my count.

Japan - about 0.30

South Korea - about 0.45

Canada - about 7

Germany - about 7

US - about 17

UK - about 31

France - about 34

Italy - about 45

*Russia - about 0.55

*China - about 0.33

• Plus1 1

In Whitlock’s post, she wrote about how the restrictions put in place amid the COVID-19 pandemic are violating her First Amendment rights as well as her 5th and 14th Amendment rights.

She said she was “forced” to quarantine which violated her First Amendment rights.

“The reality is that modern society has not been able to eradicate contagious viruses. A typical public health quarantine would occur in a medical facility. I have been told not to participate in public or private accommodations as requested by the government, and therefore denied my 1st amendment right of freedom of religion,” Whitlock wrote.

:facepalm:

You poor little snowflake...you have been inconvenienced.....I feel so sorry for you.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I didn't read the articles, but why can't the farmers sell to local meat lockers? I read the Tyson article this morning talking about the food chain breaking down. I'd much rather go and spend my money there then at big box stores for meat anyways. It's usually cheaper per pound for the consumers anyways and you keep your money local. 

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I didn't read the articles, but why can't the farmers sell to local meat lockers? I read the Tyson article this morning talking about the food chain breaking down. I'd much rather go and spend my money there then at big box stores for meat anyways. It's usually cheaper per pound for the consumers anyways and you keep your money local. 

I wonder this as well. There's gotta be a better way than plowing under viable crops.

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

We just bought meat from a local rancher. 

• Fire 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I wonder this as well. There's gotta be a better way than plowing under viable crops.

Obviously those local lockers can only handle so much, but if the consumers know they can go there and buy their pork and chicken instead I'm guessing they'd be pretty successful moving product and it's not going to waste. I buy our hamburger in 50 1lb tubes at a time from our local meat locker and it's considerably cheaper per pound that way than at the grocery stores. 

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Latest NYC antibody test results show 24.7% of those being tested have antibodies. If that held true for the entire city, Infected Fatality Rate for NYC would be 0.58%.

Assuming that degree of infection is constant across all age groups, the effective mortality rate in those aged 18-44 is ~0.0575%.  Still significant, but is an important data point that should guide a targeted plan to easing some mandates in coming weeks.

• Plus1 1