The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Great point! I'm a fan of what Musk is accomplishing with SpaceX and Tesla, but he's definitely a douche in other areas of life and thinks he's an expert in everything but he quite clearly isn't.

to be fair he kinda seems to probably be an expert (or maybe successful visionary) in a larger number of things than anyone else currently living.

23 minutes ago, Landlord said:

to be fair he kinda seems to probably be an expert (or maybe successful visionary) in a larger number of things than anyone else currently living.

He's obviously a great leader. That doesn't mean he's an expert on many subjects. He may not even be an expert at the types of science his company is good at, just like Steve Jobs wasn't an expert in the science behind what his company did. Although from a quick search he seems to be more involved in that kind of thing than Jobs was.

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, Landlord said:

Which fields are you referring to that he's presumably doing bad in? 

Ummmm....He's actually so brilliant at design and ideas that he's built a good sized company.  But, he's an idiot at running it.

Yeah...then playing the whole epidemiology stuff while not staying at a Holiday Inn last night.

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

I'll take Bill Gates over him any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

18 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Musk is a great example of utter brilliance in one field not necessarily translating well to other fields. A lot like Ben Carson the neurosurgeon vs. Ben Carson the presidential candidate.

34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ummmm....He's actually so brilliant at design and ideas that he's built a good sized company.  But, he's an idiot at running it.

Yeah...then playing the whole epidemiology stuff while not staying at a Holiday Inn last night.

I'll take Bill Gates over him any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Musk reminds me of Edison. A very good businessman with scientific knowledge, but is willing to sacrifice people to get what he wants. He's smart like any engineer should be, but he still thinks with an engineering brain when it comes to social issues, which is problematic. Like when I told my fiancée the GM ignition issue wasn't that big of a deal, because numbers wise it wasn't a lot of deaths. Which is true, but people's lives are more than just numbers.

Elon is looking at his bottom line and own ambitions rather than what's good for society. He's always been like this.

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, Landlord said:

Oh I agree.

I just also think that people who are maybe really, really gifted in one area of life at times overstep and think that applies to completely different areas of life. Or, for the layperson, maybe they found some stuff spending 15 minutes on Google and think they're equally knowledgeable in a subject as someone who has formal education about that degree.

There's a movement explicitly rejecting advice from experts, if not being outright hostile to them, and not wanting to admit our own ignorance when it comes to any number of complex topics. Think Dunning-Kruger effect. Look at the president. This is quite bad on a societal level.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

For comparison.

ON Worldometer, our deaths per million is 244.

Sweden's deaths per million is 322.

So, if you extrapolate their death rate to our population, we would have 106,582 deaths compared to 80,800.

And the economy wouldn't be any better for it. Imagine that, pandemics cause economic decline. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
24 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Oh I agree.

I just also think that people who are maybe really, really gifted in one area of life at times overstep and think that applies to completely different areas of life. Or, for the layperson, maybe they found some stuff spending 15 minutes on Google and think they're equally knowledgeable in a subject as someone who has formal education about that degree.

There's a movement explicitly rejecting advice from experts, if not being outright hostile to them, and not wanting to admit our own ignorance when it comes to any number of complex topics. Think Dunning-Kruger effect. Look at the president. This is quite bad on a societal level.

It's a common problem I have as well. As it relates to Elon an engineer is trained to be a problem solver and you're usually naturally curious about the world. Those two things combined with the fact that we've been educated to think of our world in terms of mathematic formulas and constants; makes you feel like you can tackle any challenge and solve any problem. I'm always guilty of thinking things are easy to solve and my way is the right way, but there are always variables we don't know, or more than one way to solve a problem. If you're not humble about it you'll look like a fool more often than not.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

For comparison.

ON Worldometer, our deaths per million is 244.

Sweden's deaths per million is 322.

So, if you extrapolate their death rate to our population, we would have 106,582 deaths compared to 80,800.

We are on two different timelines and we will only know if their approach worked when we look back after all this is over. One common thread between the US and Sweden is the impact this virus has on long term care facilities and other populations. 

@NUance

In case your status update gets nuked:

It doesn't matter if a person dies or not, but Medicare (aka the government) roughly pays a hospital a $13k flat rate for that hospital having a Medicare member that gets admitted with COVID.  I think Medicare pays ~$40k for an admit with a ventilator, death or no.

Medicare (aka the government) has a fee schedule that they follow for payments to hospitals/doctors.  This fee schedule varies based on the severity of the admit/procedure, as well as a couple other factors (the location of the hospital/doctor, etc).

If a non-Medicare person gets admitted with COVID, then that hospital gets $0 from the government.  They would get the

negotiated rate with the insurance company that covers the person admitted.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

@NUance

In case your status update gets nuked:

It doesn't matter if a person dies or not, but Medicare (aka the government) roughly pays a hospital a $13k flat rate for that hospital having a Medicare member that gets admitted with COVID.  I think Medicare pays ~$40k for an admit with a ventilator, death or no.

Medicare (aka the government) has a fee schedule that they follow for payments to hospitals/doctors.  This fee schedule varies based on the severity of the admit/procedure, as well as a couple other factors (the location of the hospital/doctor, etc).

If a non-Medicare person gets admitted with COVID, then that hospital gets $0 from the government.  They would get the

negotiated rate with the insurance company that covers the person admitted.

@NUance  It's also important to remember that dr's falsifying records to "defraud" Medicare is illegal.  Not only would lose their license, they'd also most likely be arrested.  Not a risk many physicians are going to take to make a few extra bucks for a hospital.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah...but doctors (especially dentists) defraud all the time...

When I go to the dentist for a cleaning I am pretty sure I don't need 6 x-rays.

It's preventative care, the same as a cleaning.  It's a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to fill a cavity you didn't even know you had than waiting until the tooth is rotting in your gums.

• Plus1 1