The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

(edit: no idea why it didn't quote, but this is for Red 5)

I read what I posted. I also read what I copied and pasted.

I originally said it had nothing to do with death counts, but hospitals are certainly being paid for COVID patients. What I copied and pasted proves exactly that.

I will forego issuing the same response on the "football in 2020" thread, since there is no need to double down on being right. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

giphy.gif

"On March 17, 2020, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) issued an update to its guidance that now expressly acknowledges that employers may implement temperature screening measures in response to the current COVID-19 pandemic. The EEOC noted that “ecause the CDC [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] and state/local health authorities have acknowledged community spread of COVID-19 and issued attendant precautions, employers may measure employees’ body temperature.” The EEOC did not condition its guidance on further or future assessments by health authorities, nor is the guidance specific to certain communities in the United States. Rather the EEOC appears to be acknowledging the propriety of implementing such measures nationwide. However, the EEOC cautions employers to “be aware that some people with COVID-19 do not have a fever.” In other words, implementing temperature screenings may identify some employees who have a fever (but not necessarily COVID-19) such that an employer may isolate them or send them home from work, but it is not a perfect screening device that will identify all persons who may be contagious with the virus."

Idk tell them tough s#!t, and that 3 seconds of inconvenience is not reason for an entire company to come down with a potentially deadly virus. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

"On March 17, 2020, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) issued an update to its guidance that now expressly acknowledges that employers may implement temperature screening measures in response to the current COVID-19 pandemic. The EEOC noted that “ecause the CDC [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] and state/local health authorities have acknowledged community spread of COVID-19 and issued attendant precautions, employers may measure employees’ body temperature.” The EEOC did not condition its guidance on further or future assessments by health authorities, nor is the guidance specific to certain communities in the United States. Rather the EEOC appears to be acknowledging the propriety of implementing such measures nationwide. However, the EEOC cautions employers to “be aware that some people with COVID-19 do not have a fever.” In other words, implementing temperature screenings may identify some employees who have a fever (but not necessarily COVID-19) such that an employer may isolate them or send them home from work, but it is not a perfect screening device that will identify all persons who may be contagious with the virus."

Idk tell them tough s#!t, and that 3 seconds of inconvenience is not reason for an entire company to come down with a potentially deadly virus. 

Yep.

So...they go home and have an unexcused absence?  Have too many of those and they are suspended.  If it's still a problem, they lose their job.

It boggles my mind that someone is going to throw their job away (when 20 million + people would love to have one) just because they don't want their temperature taken.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So....would like your input on something.

We have implemented the procedure of every employee has their temperature taken when they show up for work. I finally got the thermometers that I ordered about a month ago.

So....it started on Monday.  Today, we have an employee who says that "if you try taking my temperature again tomorrow, I'm going home."

So....what do you do as an employer?

I would tell him go home and not to come back.  But I am not a business owner. 

Seriously, there are a lot of questions to sort through.  Can you pull him to the side, talk to him about it, and express your point of view?  Is he a good employee?  Do you need that person to have an effective workforce?  Can you hire someone else quickly (I hear there are a lot of people looking for work...)?  Are you requiring masks or other safety procedures? If you allow him to not do it, how will the others react?

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We have implemented the procedure of every employee has their temperature taken when they show up for work. I finally got the thermometers that I ordered about a month ago.

So....it started on Monday.  Today, we have an employee who says that "if you try taking my temperature again tomorrow, I'm going home."

Tell if he goes home tomorrow, don't bother coming in on Friday.

Reminder to WHS Students... - WHS - Woodsville High School ...

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep.

So...they go home and have an unexcused absence?  Have too many of those and they are suspended.  If it's still a problem, they lose their job.

It boggles my mind that someone is going to throw their job away (when 20 million + people would love to have one) just because they don't want their temperature taken.

I certainly don't envy you, I take my temp/full screen if I have to go into any of our facilities but we also work with a vulnerable population, and I'm younger - so it's a no brainer for me to do what I can to protect those at the highest risk. 

5 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

(edit: no idea why it didn't quote, but this is for Red 5)

I read what I posted. I also read what I copied and pasted.

I originally said it had nothing to do with death counts, but hospitals are certainly being paid for COVID patients. What I copied and pasted proves exactly that.

I will forego issuing the same response on the "football in 2020" thread, since there is no need to double down on being right. 

For the 3rd time, hospitals getting money from the CARES Act has nothing to do with getting money for COVID patients.  They are getting this money from the CARES Act for a loss of revenue due to reduced utilization as well as to help them ramp up supplies for a surge of COVID patients.

And yes, hospitals are being paid for COVID patients.  But they are getting paid through their normal process (Medicare, Medicaid, Commercial Insurers).  The CARES Act has nothing to do with this.

Just now, Red Five said:

I would tell him go home and not to come back.  But I am not a business owner. 

Seriously, there are a lot of questions to sort through.  Can you pull him to the side, talk to him about it, and express your point of view?  Is he a good employee?  Do you need that person to have an effective workforce?  Can you hire someone else quickly (I hear there are a lot of people looking for work...)?  Are you requiring masks or other safety procedures? If you allow him to not do it, how will the others react?

His supervisors are showing him the CDC document stating that this is an appropriate thing to do.

As far as safety towards the virus, we have locked down all our facilities.  No non-employee can enter.  If anyone has symptoms they are sent home or told to stay home.  If they live with a person who has been tested positive, they are told to stay home.  All those require a doctor's note that nobody has had a problem receiving (if asked for).  They are required to have another DR. note releasing them to come back to work.  We don't require masks because all of our work stations are separated far enough apart.  Any office personnel who can work from home have been split into two shifts, one working from home, the other one here.  All truck drivers are not allowed in the shipping office, they must stay in their trucks unless needed outside to strap down.

So, we feel we have been very proactive in this.  This has been one of the last steps but haven't had the thermometers.  Till now....and now we have this issue.

He's a very key employee in production.  But, my attitude is, fine.  if you refuse, go home.  You won't get a Drs note so you won't get the FMLA pay and you won't get unemployment either.  If I cater to him because he's a "valuable employee", how can I turn around and require the rest of the employees to do it?  I already have employees upset that he won't do it because the process is in place to keep them safe.

I just don't get it.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would show him the EEOC guidance @FrantzHardySwag provided above, and explain that you're doing this not only for his safety but for yours and for that of his coworkers. Explain that you are not going to compromise everyone's safety for someone's personal liberty concerns, and if necessary remind him that some of his coworkers may be at risk even if he isn't.

And if that still doesn't convince him, send him home and remind him (in whatever tone you like) that Nebraska is an at-will state and he can be fired for not following his supervisor's directives.

I also do not envy you having to have that conversation. But as a business owner I'm sure that wouldn't be the first time you've had to do that.

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I would show him the EEOC guidance @FrantzHardySwag provided above, and explain that you're doing this not only for his safety but for yours and for that of his coworkers. Explain that you are not going to compromise everyone's safety for someone's personal liberty concerns, and if necessary remind him that some of his coworkers may be at risk even if he isn't.

And if that still doesn't convince him, send him home and remind him (in whatever tone you like) that Nebraska is an at-will state and he can be fired for not following his supervisor's directives.

I also do not envy you having to have that conversation. But as a business owner I'm sure that wouldn't be the first time you've had to do that.

Get this.

One of the supervisors that's involved has an immune deficiency problem so that if he gets the virus, they've basically told him he's done....and he's aware of that and still upset.

46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Get this.

One of the supervisors that's involved has an immune deficiency problem so that if he gets the virus, they've basically told him he's done....and he's aware of that and still upset.

Think you need to fire him or at least imply that it's a strong possibility.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep.

Well you can handle it how you want to but I know what I would and am planning on doing when I finally receive my infrared thermometers. They can either comply with the new temporary requirement of working here, or they will be shown the door and they can go find another job. It’s really that simple unless you’re dealing with unions or some such thing. I see no reason to d!(k around with unexcused absences or suspensions. Do what is required or hit the road. Simple.

• Plus1 1