The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

30 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Just to clarify, he didn't say non N95 masks don't do the wearer any good. I know that those are worn to help reduce the chance of spreading your spittle and they basically do the wearer no good. But this guy believes what Fauci said includes all masks, that a properly fitted N95 will do nothing for the person wearing it or for others. There are two possible explanations for that position; either the person is stupid and has no common sense or they are reading and believing things they shouldn't. I know he is otherwise a pretty sharp guy so I am quite certain he is getting it from his preferred ultra right pro gun prepper type sources.

The annoying thing is, a half way intelligent person can figure out that a mask that will filter down to a certain size particle can be used to prevent larger particles from ever reaching their nose or mouth. Wear the right filter properly, practice good hygiene and you can reduce your chances of contracting the virus to almost zero. It's not rocket science. And it also stands to reason that a bandana or cloth or cheap unrated mask can help reduce the particles you transmit to other people but won't be as sure-fire. But if I'm at the grocery store I'd sure rather have everyone attempting to do something instead of throwing up their arms and spouting that it does no good or it somehow infringes on their rights.

I get ya.  My cousin posted something about masks being pointless.  I just asked her if she covers her mouth when she coughs or sneezes, and if so, why?

She got pissed and went on a rant about it being a free country and she has a right to her opinion.  And how I shouldn't be making this about politics.  :dunno

My latest check into the status of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine shows more promising news. Researchers are still on track to validate the efficacy in humans by June, and then having millions of doses ready for use by September. All 21 of my fingers and toes are crossed.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, schriznoeder said:

My latest check into the status of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine shows more promising news. Researchers are still on track to validate the efficacy in humans by June, and then having millions of doses ready for use by September. All 21 of my fingers and toes are crossed.

Oxford Vaccine could be a game changer. I believe by end of June they should have results from human trials - possible ready for mass production by fall. Definitely the most promising of the vaccine possibilities. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
On 5/13/2020 at 2:02 PM, BigRedBuster said:

So....would like your input on something.

We have implemented the procedure of every employee has their temperature taken when they show up for work. I finally got the thermometers that I ordered about a month ago.

So....it started on Monday.  Today, we have an employee who says that "if you try taking my temperature again tomorrow, I'm going home."

So....what do you do as an employer?

Send them home and make them take vacation or PTO. 

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep, so far, the graph looks promising.  But, more time is needed to make a judgement.

I think regardless spread will be reduced as opposed to before this was ever in the public consciousness just due to awareness. More people will be taking further precautions and that will help to some degree without laws in place. 

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep, so far, the graph looks promising.  But, more time is needed to make a judgement.

I'm curious how our largely inadequate testing levels affect this data as well.

It's pretty well a given at this point that cases are systemically undercounted as a whole, isn't it?

• Plus1 1