The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Shot:

Chaser - and what a chaser it is!

So Georgia has been desperate to get back to "normalcy" and they're effecting that by flat-out lying about the numbers.

MAGA!

Having not seen the graph I just want to say that it is entirely possible that this was a mistake and not intentional. I work with Palantir software at work for data analysis, which I know the CDC has been using for some of their work with COVID. It's extremely powerful and a great tool, however there is one very annoying thing about making a graph or chart. The software automatically makes the chart with a downward trend.

You have to know this and manually reset it to sort the data the way you want., or you can look like an absolute fool when you present that data. Coming from Excel it's not something you would expect, and it's very annoying. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Having not seen the graph I just want to say that it is entirely possible that this was a mistake and not intentional. I work with Palantir software at work for data analysis, which I know the CDC has been using for some of their work with COVID. It's extremely powerful and a great tool, however there is one very annoying thing about making a graph or chart. The software automatically makes the chart with a downward trend.

You have to know this and manually reset it to sort the data the way you want., or you can look like an absolute fool when you present that data. Coming from Excel it's not something you would expect, and it's very annoying. 

Why not day it was the software then? Personally I'm a bit weary of the unintentional mistake explaination considering this is the 3rd mistake of this nature in 3 weeks and Kemp has every reason to cook the numbers as they don't support his position. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Why not day it was the software then? Personally I'm a bit weary of the unintentional mistake explaination considering this is the 3rd mistake of this nature in 3 weeks and Kemp has every reason to cook the numbers as they don't support his position. 

I'm just saying it's entirely plausible. It's something I myself have almost done. That's why I double/triple check my work. Well, that and OCD.

18 minutes ago, ZRod said:

That's a pretty stupid quirk in graphing software.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I'm just saying it's entirely plausible. It's something I myself have almost done. That's why I double/triple check my work. Well, that and OCD.

Totally plausible, but given what is best for Kemp, I'm skeptical. That said there are probably less noticeable ways to cook the numbers so maybe this was just an honest mistake

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's a pretty stupid quirk in graphing software.

It's way more than just graphing software; it's data analysis and manipulation.  They work with the DOD, CIA, etc. It's a very powerful software for data analysis. It literally pulls from all of our companies systems and compiles it so you can create whatever you need to with it. I can find A TON of info with just a single search criteria.

I understand why it's setup that way, but it's kind of annoying especially if you've only ever used excel. It doesn't necessarily know what order you going to want that information in, so it just defaults to an A-Z or 1-9 type sort.

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

That said there are probably less noticeable ways to cook the numbers so maybe this was just an honest mistake

Yeah I find it more unlikely that someone came up with this brilliant idea and everyone agreed that nobody would notice a very obvious manipulation right in front of them.

Anyways, I live in Georgia, and there is plenty of criticism to go around, but at the end of the day, the cases aren't jumping due to re-opening (at least not yet, remains to be seen, and even then remains to be shown as a causal not correlated relationship), the hospitals are able to manage and stay under capacity, the curve has been successfully flattened. For the time being, at least.

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Yeah I find it more unlikely that someone came up with this brilliant idea and everyone agreed that nobody would notice a very obvious manipulation right in front of them.

Anyways, I live in Georgia, and there is plenty of criticism to go around, but at the end of the day, the cases aren't jumping due to re-opening (at least not yet, remains to be seen, and even then remains to be shown as a causal not correlated relationship), the hospitals are able to manage and stay under capacity, the curve has been successfully flattened. For the time being, at least.

The main thing I'm concerned about as it pertains to Georgia's numbers is data lag. The numbers published today for today do not accurately reflect the real number of new cases for today. We won't get a full picture until 10 days from now and even then, it will only be a majority of the data, not all. Complete data for any given day has taken 6-8 weeks on average, though we can usually draw decent conclusions from the majority data that comes within 10 days. As I said to BRB earlier in this thread, I'd give Georgia until the end of the month before drawing conclusions on how reopening is going. Other states will probably be a bit longer as they opened after Georgia. 

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

The main thing I'm concerned about as it pertains to Georgia's numbers is data lag. The numbers published today for today do not accurately reflect the real number of new cases for today. We won't get a full picture until 10 days from now and even then, it will only be a majority of the data, not all. Complete data for any given day has taken 6-8 weeks on average, though we can usually draw decent conclusions from the majority data that comes within 10 days. As I said to BRB earlier in this thread, I'd give Georgia until the end of the month before drawing conclusions on how reopening is going. Other states will probably be a bit longer as they opened after Georgia. 

To add to this: we'll only know in 10-14 days IF there's substantial amounts of testing to actually see it. Otherwise, it'll be more like 2-4 weeks until the daily hospitalization and death counts start showing in the data.

So Trump's vaccine czar, comes from the company which is in the process of creating the vaccine. So any positive news he or Trump proclaims ends up enriching the guy immensely.    Nice to have friends in high places. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-moderna-vaccine-trump-slaoui-moncef-elizabeth-warren-20200518-aua4tkcy4vexlcl4fgppqhyfeu-story.html

A controversial biotech firm is claiming early positive progress on its trial of a coranavirus vaccine — giving a massive financial boost to President Trump’s newly minted vaccine czar.

The report sent Moderna stock soaring by up to 34% in pre-market trading Monday. It was trading up a more modest 22% by midmorning.

The stock spike temporarily added at least $3.4 million to the bottom line of Moncef Slaoui, the just-named vaccine czar who was on the board of Moderna until his appointment.

Slaoui, a veteran Big Pharma exec, holds 156,000 stock options that increased in value by more than $3 million on the Monday morning news.

Ethics experts called the lucrative morning for Slaoui a prime example of why he should not be making decisions about winners and losers in the coronavirus vaccine race.

“You could hurt or kill millions of people,” said Peter Maybarduk of Public Citizen, a watchdog groulp. “A better vaccine might not be created or it might not be distributed to the widest number of people.”