The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

WTF are you guys even arguing about? Silver is saying the data is garbage. Salvitt is saying that counting deaths as pneumonia only could be hurting our anaylsis of COVID (meaning more garbage data). Can't they both be right?

12 minutes ago, ZRod said:

WTF are you guys even arguing about? Silver is saying the data is garbage. Salvitt is saying that counting deaths as pneumonia only could be hurting our anaylsis of COVID (meaning more garbage data). Can't they both be right?

It is a post board...it might as well be Highlander...there can only be one!

31 minutes ago, ZRod said:

The question is over whether the pneumonia deaths have already been counted or if they need to be added to the tally. It's pretty important to know the answer to that question (in general - it'd debatable whether it's important for me to know). If they aren't being counted they should be.

Why do you care if people are talking about the answer to that question? I'm also playing Animal Crossing and doing a work project. I can multi-task. There's no need to be concerned, I'm fine.

46 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The question is over whether the pneumonia deaths have already been counted or if they need to be added to the tally. It's pretty important to know the answer to that question (in general - it'd debatable whether it's important for me to know). If they aren't being counted they should be.

Why do you care if people are talking about the answer to that question? I'm also playing Animal Crossing and doing a work project. I can multi-task. There's no need to be concerned, I'm fine.

I get what the conversation is about. It's just weird because your both using sources that aren't necessarily contradicting one another just looking at things from different angles.

4 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I get what the conversation is about. It's just weird because your both using sources that aren't necessarily contradicting one another just looking at things from different angles.

Counting something twice vs. counting something once seems like they're contradicting. Also I have a lot of respect for Nate Silver so I thought it was important to point out he's not a journalist talking about the #s. ;)

33 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

In a time when people are being anal about #s and questioning all media, I really wish the graph started at 0. They're gonna get accused of making things look worse than they are by starting it at ... whatever it is, ~42,000. It makes the bump look larger.

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

In a time when people are being anal about #s and questioning all media, I really wish the graph started at 0. They're gonna get accused of making things look worse than they are by starting it at ... whatever it is, ~42,000. It makes the bump look larger.

The graph is just confusing how it was put together. 

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

The graph is just confusing how it was put together. 

I think the dotted line is showing what is normal for total deaths based on previous years, and it must be seasonal 'cause it goes down from January to May. It looks like a big drop but that's 'cause they're zooming into 40,000 - 80,000 deaths.

Then you have the black line which is what actually happened. Then they shaded in the part that was due to covid. But again, when you start at 40,000 it's not only misleading it also makes the graph harder the read. And really they should have shown the entire year. May 2019 to May 2020.

TL;DR if we have to spend this much time thinking about how to read the graph, it's not a good graph.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think the dotted line is showing what is normal for total deaths based on previous years, and it must be seasonal 'cause it goes down from January to May. It looks like a big drop but that's 'cause they're zooming into 40,000 - 80,000 deaths.

Then you have the black line which is what actually happened. Then they shaded in the part that was due to covid. But again, when you start at 40,000 it's not only misleading it also makes the graph harder the read. And really they should have shown the entire year. May 2019 to May 2020.

TL;DR if we have to spend this much time thinking about how to read the graph, it's not a good graph.

Yep...and, they should have had the reported Covid deaths and then the Excess deaths on top of that. 

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

So last week it was that picture of people partying in the Ozarks and it brought outrage about a second wave...but these people out rioting...Hmmmm

Wanting to get drunk and party is not as important as wanting people who look like you to not get murdered by the police. 

On a personal level, my mom is having surgery in a few weeks. I’m going to be going to a hospital and picking her up and then living with her for awhile. But in the meantime I don’t go visit her face to face unless we’re all going to keep our distance and I don’t hang out inside her house. Some things are worth being more risky for. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

So last week it was that picture of people partying in the Ozarks and it brought outrage about a second wave...but these people out rioting...Hmmmm

i have seen newscasters commenting on that.  it isn't being ignored if that is what you are trying to say.  but as mraine said...some things are more important then others.    i also noticed many people WERE wearing masks at the riots.   some people will follow the rules even when rioting.