The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Interesting post on Reddit. Not sure how accurate the data actually is.

Good idea. Here is the visualization with NY included separately.

Edit: Here it is with both NY and Texas included separately (the blue state and red state with the most cases).

Edit 2: Here it is per 100,000 people. Blue states are about 142 million, red states total 187 million.

Edit 3: By popular demand, here it is by 2020 Governor party.

Note: This is the last one I'm making for today. Thanks folks!

Edit 4: To the 100+ people who asked/told me to do it by county: Lockdown guidance and decisions has mostly come from Governors' offices. County level is mostly an rural vs urban comparison, and doesn't capture the political aspect as much. If this were for a peer-reviewed journal, then yeah you'd need to control for population density and instrument for the political dimension. But it's just reddit. I invite you to make your own post.

Edit 5: To the 500+ people who have asked/told me to do it with deaths: good idea but measuring deaths due to the virus is actually quite difficult because many will inevitably be classified as other types of death, especially before it became so widespread. The thing to study is the abnormal death rate. But that requires more advanced methodology than my simple plot.

PS: <award-speech>Thanks for the gear & please consider donating to your favorite non-profit to help fight corona virus! </award-speech>

ejrb79eqog851.png

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I continue to wonder why the death rate continues to drop when the number of infected people continue to rise along with hospitalizations in some areas. 

Is the virus maybe not as strong?  Is it infecting more people that can fight it off without dying?  I don't know, but you ask a good question.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Is the virus maybe not as strong?  Is it infecting more people that can fight it off without dying?  I don't know, but you ask a good question.

And/or they are getting better at treating it.  Or we’re better at protecting people in retirement homes. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2020 at 10:37 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah...but I'm not sure we can trust numbers coming out of some of these countries.

On 7/2/2020 at 11:51 AM, DrunkOffPunch said:

I don’t know why anybody would believe China’s numbers.

You're missing the forest for the trees.

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

You're missing the forest for the trees.

I’m not. What’s the point in including China when they obviously aren’t being honest about their numbers? If Trump got his way and we stopped testing/reporting cases I wouldn’t want those numbers used to push a narrative either. Take China out of that and it doesn’t change the intent of the tweet. The US has done an incredibly poor job dealing with the virus compared to other developed countries.

edit- Or Florida to be more specific but most states are seeing increased numbers.

Edited by DrunkOffPunch
23 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

I’m not. What’s the point in including China when they obviously aren’t being honest about their numbers? If Trump got his way and we stopped testing/reporting cases I wouldn’t want those numbers used to push a narrative either. Take China out of that and it doesn’t change the intent of the tweet. The US has done an incredibly poor job dealing with the virus compared to other developed countries.

edit- Or Florida to be more specific but most states are seeing increased numbers.

Yes, exactly.

9 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Surreal to read that in 2020. I guess this is where we are now.

Trump's re-elex seems to be going well.

EcP0dMmWkAg0F28?format=jpg&name=medium

Just look at the "Will There Be Football 2020" thread to see that this is, in fact, working. Tons of people just want to forget about this virus and move on. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
26 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Just look at the "Will There Be Football 2020" thread to see that this is, in fact, working. Tons of people just want to forget about this virus and move on. 

I mean I do...

We're pretty much f#&%ed now. And it is what it is at this point. The whole "shutdown and reopening" was handle so poor that I don't think we can do anything to stop the spread now, other than masks and personal hygiene. There's no way we could handle more shutdowns; the economy would absolutely crash and burn. I don't think the fed printing money is the answer either.

• Plus1 1