The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, ZRod said:

I mean I do...

We're pretty much f#&%ed now. And it is what it is at this point. The whole "shutdown and reopening" was handle so poor that I don't think we can do anything to stop the spread now, other than masks and personal hygiene. There's no way we could handle more shutdowns; the economy would absolutely crash and burn. I don't think the fed printing money is the answer either.

We're the richest country on Earth. Dozens of other countries have managed shutdown, some more extreme than any we've done, but somehow the US can't. We could handle another shutdown and find ways to get the virus under control, but we don't have the political willpower to actually do enough to help the people and the economy beyond the stock market.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

13 hours ago, ZRod said:

I mean I do...

We're pretty much f#&%ed now. And it is what it is at this point. The whole "shutdown and reopening" was handle so poor that I don't think we can do anything to stop the spread now, other than masks and personal hygiene. There's no way we could handle more shutdowns; the economy would absolutely crash and burn. I don't think the fed printing money is the answer either.

But the f#&%ing morons can't even mandate masks or recommend social distancing because they're playing a political game for re-election.

We can't even get on the same page about the absolute bare minimum.

• Plus1 3
21 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I mean I do...

I also do.

We all do.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

We're the richest country on Earth. Dozens of other countries have managed shutdown, some more extreme than any we've done, but somehow the US can't. We could handle another shutdown and find ways to get the virus under control, but we don't have the political willpower to actually do enough to help the people and the economy beyond the stock market.

This seems like one of those times that being the richest country on Earth is actually part of the issue.  We (not everyone) are scared to shut down again.  Wait until the fall when millions of kids head back to school.  The numbers will shoot up again.  I am teaching summer school and have already had issues.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

Surreal to read that in 2020. I guess this is where we are now.

Trump's re-elex seems to be going well.

EcP0dMmWkAg0F28?format=jpg&name=medium

A LOT of people feel this way around central NE already, so it is not being fueled by the WH

Excellent article:

The politicians who played the Covid‑19 crisis badly

In an era of social media and nonstop news from endless outlets, the politicians who get most attention are those who create memorable, unusual, supposedly “authentic” characters for themselves. This system rewards narcissists and what the philosopher Harry Frankfurt calls “bulls#!tters”: people distinct from liars in that they have no interest in what’s true or not. They just say what sounds good. Their high verbal intelligence reduces their need for analytic intelligence.

It could be that coronavirus ends the ride for ignorant nationalist bulls#!tters. However, they have shown before that they can defeat reality.

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

A LOT of people feel this way around central NE already, so it is not being fueled by the WH

You mean to tell me that in a hugely Red state, whose population consumes conservative media like it's candy, that the messaging coming out of the White House is the same or similar to what people think/feel?

ZhSkmjp.jpg

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm warming up to the idea of civil war and cessation. 

Give these people a handful of states that are totally theirs to f#&% up. They can be as independent and mavericky as they want. They can have all the statues. Libertarians, white nationalists, entitled Karens and the change-averse all under one flag, crammed with symbols of freedom and nostalgia. 

Over under on when they start their own draconian regulations upon realizing everything STILL doesn't go their way? 

Three months. 

• Plus1 2
47 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You mean to tell me that in a hugely Red state, whose population consumes conservative media like it's candy, that the messaging coming out of the White House is the same or similar to what people think/feel?

ZhSkmjp.jpg

I can literally guarantee you that a large percentage of the folks I am referring to have never listened to, nor voted for, the current WH administration