The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

7 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

?I'm warming up to the idea of civil war and cessation. 

Give these people a handful of states that are totally theirs to f#&% up. They can be as independent and mavericky as they want. They can have all the statues. Libertarians, white nationalists, entitled Karens and the change-averse all under one flag, crammed with symbols of freedom and nostalgia. 

Over under on when they start their own draconian regulations upon realizing everything STILL doesn't go their way? 

Three months. 

If we're forming two nations I'd propose making the border a 10-mile radius around every city over 100k residents and we would be well on our way. The city and country already feel like two different nations, it's a shocking experience whenever I go back and see my extended family in NE Nebraska. So many strong opinions on how the world should be run when in reality they are completely isolated from the world.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

If we're forming two nations I'd propose making the border a 10-mile radius around every city over 100k residents and we would be well on our way. The city and country already feel like two different nations, it's a shocking experience whenever I go back and see my extended family in NE Nebraska. So many strong opinions on how the world should be run when in reality they are completely isolated from the world.

Curious to where your hometown is.  I grew up in Pierce, I feel exactly the same way.

6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Curious to where your hometown is.  I grew up in Pierce, I feel exactly the same way.

A bluejay??  They had a heck of a nice football program for a few years.  Beat Boys Town for a title about 10 years ago.  I was no longer coaching at BT at that time but it was a heck of a game by Pierce. 

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I grew up on a farm in South Dakota south of Gayville, about 1-2 miles from Nebraska (as the crow flies). My family centered on Crofton and Wakefield/Emerson depending on the side of the family.

Good article written by pandemic experts:

Chronicle of a Pandemic Foretold: Learning From the COVID-19 Failure—Before the Next Outbreak Arrives

The current crisis will eventually end, either when a vaccine is available or when enough of the global population has developed immunity (if lasting immunity is even possible), which would likely require some two-thirds of the total population to become infected. Neither of those ends will come quickly, and the human and economic costs in the meantime will be enormous.

Yet some future microbial outbreak will be bigger and deadlier still. In other words, this pandemic is probably not “the Big One,” the prospect of which haunts the nightmares of epidemiologists and public health officials everywhere. The next pandemic will most likely be a novel influenza virus with the same devastating impact as the pandemic of 1918, which circled the globe two and a half times over the course of more than a year, in recurring waves, killing many more people than the brutal and bloody war that preceded it.

Now they're using Ben Shapiro's propaganda mill as a news source in the Football forum. Heaven help us.

25 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/amid-percentage-of-deaths-having-declined-cdc-admits-coronavirus-on-verge-of-non-epidemic-status

Per this article the CDC has stated that we are on the verge of removing epidemic status for COVID-19 due to a steadily declining death rate.

16 minutes ago, jaws said:

I wish CNN could be a little more consistent in their reporting. As I said earlier in this thread, it isn't just about antibodies. 

It was the Lancet, quoting the Spanish medical experts, who used the term "unachievable" and not CNN's idea.