The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Just thinking out loud here so I'm probably gonna say some stupid stuff, but...

People are talking a lot about parents working, and I know babysitting is a lot more expensive than school, but what do the parents do over the summer? I'm sure it sounds insane but I feel like it wouldn't be the end of the universe to cancel school for one semester, so I don't know why going in every other day is so terrible. They could also make decisions based on the ages of the kids. Most 12 year olds can stay at home during the day by themselves, so it shouldn't be as big of a deal for them to go in part time. Maybe kids under 12 either go to school more days/all days or they just don't do school if the infection rate is high.

46 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

People are talking a lot about parents working, and I know babysitting is a lot more expensive than school, but what do the parents do over the summer? I'm sure it sounds insane but I feel like it wouldn't be the end of the universe to cancel school for one semester, so I don't know why going in every other day is so terrible. They could also make decisions based on the ages of the kids. Most 12 year olds can stay at home during the day by themselves, so it shouldn't be as big of a deal for them to go in part time. Maybe kids under 12 either go to school more days/all days or they just don't do school if the infection rate is high.

I agree...with part of what you said anyway. 

18 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Usually parents put their kids in child care during the summer. There are tons of camps and babysitters that are only open in the summer just for this reason.

Personally, I think sending all the kids back to school isn't a great option, but I think sending them part-time and then them being around other kids in child care the other times is much worse. Doing remote learning for K-8 went terribly, so there aren't any good options really.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Usually parents put their kids in child care during the summer. There are tons of camps and babysitters that are only open in the summer just for this reason.

Personally, I think sending all the kids back to school isn't a great option, but I think sending them part-time and then them being around other kids in child care the other times is much worse. Doing remote learning for K-8 went terribly, so there aren't any good options really.

Yeah, K-8 remote learning is a mess. 

HS is not so bad but it really depends on the district.  My experience was not all that bad.

• Plus1 1