The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

It's sad that this is what it takes for some people to realize they've been lied to, but this is where we are as a nation.

Game show host retweeted by Trump deletes his account after announcing his son has coronavirus

Former game show host Chuck Woolery announced Wednesday his son has tested positive for COVID-19, just days after Woolery accused medical professionals and Democrats of lying about the virus in an effort to hurt the economy and President Trump's reelection chances. 

Woolery, who hosted several popular game shows including "Love Connection" and “Wheel of Fortune” and who is a staunch supporter of the president's, has since deleted his Twitter account following the announcement about his son. 

“To further clarify and add perspective, Covid-19 is real and it is here. My son tested positive for the virus, and I feel for of those suffering and especially for those who have lost loved ones," Woolery tweeted before his account disappeared. 

The message comes after Woolery tweeted Monday denouncing "outrageous lies" being told about the coronavirus, comments that Trump retweeted to his more than 83 million followers. 

“The most outrageous lies are the ones about Covid 19. Everyone is lying. The CDC, Media, Democrats, our Doctors, not all but most, that we are told to trust. I think it’s all about the election and keeping the economy from coming back, which is about the election. I’m sick of it," Woolery wrote. 

CBS News correspondent Catherine Herridge asked Trump about the retweet in an interview on Tuesday. 

“You reposted a tweet yesterday saying that CDC and health officials are lying. You understand this is confusing for the public. So who do they believe? You, or the medical professionals like Dr. Fauci?” Herridge asked, referring to National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Anthony Fauci

“I didn’t make a comment,” Trump responded. “I reposted a tweet that a lot of people feel. But all I am doing is making a comment. I’m just putting somebody’s voice out there. There are many voices. There are many people that think we shouldn’t do this kind of testing, because all we do, it’s a trap.”

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

No they weren't. They were doing fine. It's just that Trump doesn't like the numbers because they look bad for him (spoilers: they are bad for him, and it's his fault).

But even pretending the CDC was doing a bad job, who in the White House is going to be better at disseminating that data, and how are they more qualified than the CDC?

It's funny how nobody complained about the CDC before Trump. Now the nutters think the CDC is a problem and Trump's people are the solution. Why? Because Trump told them so.  :LOLtartar

Are you forgetting the test kits?  It was deja vu for me because I remember it took an uncomfortably long time for a previous outbreak, H1N1 or something.  I remember thinking if they just got the testing going they could probably contain it but it seemed to drag on before they started testing.  This year they apparently didnt follow their own manufacturing procedures and contaminated part of the kits.  I don't think it mattered much because China sent 100,000's people out into the world so the chance of containment was nil.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Are you forgetting the test kits?  It was deja vu for me because I remember it took an uncomfortably long time for a previous outbreak, H1N1 or something.  I remember thinking if they just got the testing going they could probably contain it but it seemed to drag on before they started testing.  This year they apparently didnt follow their own manufacturing procedures and contaminated part of the kits.  I don't think it mattered much because China sent 100,000's people out into the world so the chance of containment was nil.

H1N1 was contained and over with before it started (thanks, Obama!). But under Trump, C19 is raging unchecked. 

Same CDC.  Different leaders.  Seeing a connection there?  Anyone?  Hello?

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, QMany said:

Pretty much Republican policy on everything. 

This would be a good slogan for them except there are so many other good choices. This probably covers more of the issues they’re wrong about than others, though, and it applies to the pre-Trump years. 

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

H1N1 was contained and over with before it started (thanks, Obama!). But under Trump, C19 is raging unchecked. 

Same CDC.  Different leaders.  Seeing a connection there?  Anyone?  Hello?

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

60 million doesn't scream containment. 

On August 10, 2010, WHO declared an end to the global 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic. However, (H1N1)pdm09 virus continues to circulate as a seasonal flu virus, and cause illness, hospitalization, and deaths worldwide every year.

Pandemics do what pandemics do.  They shouldn't be politicized.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

60 million doesn't scream containment. 

So, under Obama, who allowed the CDC to do what they were supposed to do, there were 12,469 deaths associated with H1N1 in 12 months.

How many deaths have there been from C19 in six months under Trump?

Do you know?

You want me to tell you?

Here's a hint - it's more than 12,000. It's more than ten times 12,000.  

How long do you want to keep pretending?  Because I can do this all day.

Based on what I've read, it's not wholly fair to compare the containment success of H1N1 to COVID-19 based solely on infection and death rates and use that as a basis for determining whether the CDC did/has done their job right.

Most medical professionals seem to agree that the coronavirus is more dangerous than the flu and that people are more susceptible to COVID. H1N1 was a subtype of influenza (which people had more natural immunities against overall, even though it was a different strain) whereas COVID-19 is a spinoff of SARS.

To be clear, I fully believe the CDC has been hamstrung in their efforts, namely by the president and other top government officials. We could and should have done a much better job. But, not all viruses are created equal.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So, under Obama, who allowed the CDC to do what they were supposed to do, there were 12,469 deaths associated with H1N1 in 12 months.

How many deaths have there been from C19 in six months under Trump?

Do you know?

You want me to tell you?

Here's a hint - it's more than 12,000. It's more than ten times 12,000.  

How long do you want to keep pretending?  Because I can do this all day.

Knapplc come on, you've got to be smart enough to know different viruses behave differently.  I could point out that 25% of the deaths occurred in ny where they were knowingly sending infected old people back to nursing homes while hospital beds Trump set up in Javits Center and hospital ship went unused.  I could be disingenuous and say Cuomo is a murderer but that doesn't help the situation.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

To be clear, I fully believe the CDC has been hamstrung in their efforts, namely by the president and other top government officials. We could and should have done a much better job. But, not all viruses are created equal.

Agree with the bolded.  How do you think the CDC was hamstrung?

2 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Knapplc come on, you've got to be smart enough to know different viruses behave differently.  I could point out that 25% of the deaths occurred in ny where they were knowingly sending infected old people back to nursing homes while hospital beds Trump set up in Javits Center and hospital ship went unused.  I could be disingenuous and say Cuomo is a murderer but that doesn't help the situation.

But...but...but....I'm told by Trump and his supporters that Covid is no worse than the flu.

3 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

The ship and Javits hospital went unused because both were initially set up to assist with non-Covid treatment to take some of the burden off of Covid-burdened hospitals, but instead both had to be reconfigured to accept patients. Trump was still claiming C19 was a liberal hoax at the time. 

10 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Agree with the bolded.  How do you think the CDC was hamstrung?

Former CDC leaders have gone on record saying the president and his administration actively worked to limit their abilities to respond to the pandemic. There was also unnamed sources inside the CDC who spoke to several national media outlets about it.

Additionally, the president and his administration's words/choices have been indicative of a subversive attitude for months. And while the rest of the world started taking serious action against the virus in February (and prior), Trump was on record at the time downplaying the virus.

Lastly, this report from the NYT is pretty concerning.

Hospitals have been ordered to bypass the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and send all patient information to a central database in Washington, raising questions about transparency.

It's just a lot of red flags, IMO. Why on earth do non-medical professionals and non-scientists need to be responsible for the collection, maintenance, evaluation and dissemination of virus data, breaking with protocols and standards that have been in place for decades? Breaking with protocols and standards that other countries follow with their own versions of the CDC?

• Plus1 2