The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But...but...but....I'm told by Trump and his supporters that Covid is no worse than the flu.

Maybe it isn't.  I've heard that 30 people under the age of 18 have died and most of them had other health issues.  If you listen to the media opening schools is a death sentence.  CCP virus seems to be most lethal for 60+.  We have vaccines for flu and apparently the actual flu deaths aren't counted by actual cases, they are estimated from a model.  Only through extensive testing will a close to true CFR be determined.  There are a lot of asymptomatic cases that go untested so those will need to be estimated.

4 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I should be more clear on my thinking.  Isolate the old and keep them from getting infected.  For the rest of the population it's probably not much worse than the flu.  

I know for a fact it's much worse than the flu for even people middle aged.  I personally know people who have had it and very well might have very long term affects from it.  This line of thinking is just simply total BS and the only reason you're going down this path is to try to make Donny look better.

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Maybe it isn't.

There's virtually no evidence or facts to support speculation of this type, at least right now.

The CDC estimates that 34,200 people died from the flu in the U.S. in 2018. Preliminary estimates from Oct. 2019 - April, 2020, were that we had 24,000 - 62,000 flu deaths.

The CDC says 137,000 people have died from COVID-19 so far.

Most medical professionals are also on record saying that coronavirus is more dangerous than influenza based on its transmission capabilities, symptoms and lack of immunities in the general populace.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know for a fact it's much worse than the flu for even people middle aged.  I personally know people who have had it and very well might have very long term affects from it.  This line of thinking is just simply total BS and the only reason you're going down this path is to try to make Donny look better.

Sorry to hear that.  I also know someone that's been on a ventilator for a long time.  She'll have long term effects too.  The biggest question currently is whether it's safe to open schools. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Sorry to hear that.  I also know someone that's been on a ventilator for a long time.  She'll have long term effects too.  The biggest question currently is whether it's safe to open schools. 

Then stop trying to promote the idea that this virus is anything close to not as bad as the flu.  That is simply a flat out lie that is promoted by people who want Trump to look good.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Then stop trying to promote the idea that this virus is anything close to not as bad as the flu.  That is simply a flat out lie that is promoted by people who want Trump to look good.

narrator....good luck with that.

17 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I should be more clear on my thinking.  Isolate the old and keep them from getting infected.  For the rest of the population it's probably not much worse than the flu.  

The bolded part is sheer nonsense. Here's the case data from Colorado: https://covid19.colorado.gov/data/case-data

20-29 year olds are being hospitalized at 4.68% rate

30-39 yo hospitalized at 8.04%

40-49 at 12.4%

50-59 at 18.65%

The annual flu is nothing like these numbers.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/20/815408287/how-the-novel-coronavirus-and-the-flu-are-alike-and-different

Even though a great many people are hospitalized for the flu — the preliminary data for the 2018-19 flu season is nearly half a million — the rate of hospitalization is far lower: 1%-2% of cases, according to the CDC.

Here's yet another article about comparisons between covid and the flu:

How scientists know COVID-19 is way deadlier than the flu

What’s more, scientists today have a better sense of how to measure COVID-19's lethality, and the numbers are alarming. Using a more sophisticated calculation called the infection-fatality rate, paired with the past few months’ worth of data, the latest best estimates show that COVID-19 is around 50 to 100 times more lethal than the seasonal flu, on average.

This means that the U.S. and other countries seeing case surges need to brace for a very deadly summer and autumn if tactics don’t change.

“You don’t need to do a lot of calculations to know that 128,000 deaths is an extreme number of people who have passed away,” says University of Wollongong epidemiologist and self-described health nerd Gideon Meyerowitz-Katz, citing the current death toll in the U.S.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, 4skers89 said:

Knapplc come on, you've got to be smart enough to know different viruses behave differently.  I could point out that 25% of the deaths occurred in ny where they were knowingly sending infected old people back to nursing homes while hospital beds Trump set up in Javits Center and hospital ship went unused.  I could be disingenuous and say Cuomo is a murderer but that doesn't help the situation.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/23/politics/cuomo-new-york-nursing-homes-coronavirus-patients/index.html

Cuomo was just following the guidance from the Trump administration. I'll take Cuomos word over Trumps 365 days a year 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

It's really bad that we have to rely on reporters to dig this information out from unpublished sources. This is the kind of thing the Press Secretary should be sharing, but instead she's up there railing against the press. Super unproductive, just like the rest of the Trump administration.

In a final tweet, that I would share except it would link the last tweet above it, she corrects an earlier one:  "Correction: Three localities, not counties. Miami is not a county but a town (in Ottawa County)" 

The correction is linked to this last tweet if you want to see it.

4 hours ago, Enhance said:

Based on what I've read, it's not wholly fair to compare the containment success of H1N1 to COVID-19 based solely on infection and death rates and use that as a basis for determining whether the CDC did/has done their job right.

careful knapp might be ready to accuse you of defending trump

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3