The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Good lord Georgia is a cluster eff of Republican douchiness.

She's the 4th Democrat leader I've heard of getting sued over something like this. I feel like they're using their constituents' idiocy as an excuse to try to get rid of Democrat leaders.

5 hours ago, RedDenver said:

The bolded part is sheer nonsense. Here's the case data from Colorado: https://covid19.colorado.gov/data/case-data

20-29 year olds are being hospitalized at 4.68% rate

30-39 yo hospitalized at 8.04%

40-49 at 12.4%

50-59 at 18.65%

Coronavirus is at least an order of magnitude more deadly than H1N1. That being said, you’re basing hospitalization rate off of confirmed cases. Pretty well established that far more people have been infected with this virus than those testing positive. 

6 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Coronavirus is at least an order of magnitude more deadly than H1N1. That being said, you’re basing hospitalization rate off of confirmed cases. Pretty well established that far more people have been infected with this virus than those testing positive. 

I would be willing to bet that most have been around/infected by it...

I also think it has been in the US since at least December. 

• Plus1 2

I find it interesting that Republicans have been ranting about how horrible the federal government dictates things in education and demanding that control of the schools be local. 

Now, when local schools are talking about not opening because of the virus, Captain Snowflake is so concerned it’s going to make him look bad that he is demanding control over local schools. 

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I find it interesting that Republicans have been ranting about how horrible the federal government dictates things in education and demanding that control of the schools be local. 

Now, when local schools are talking about not opening because of the virus, Captain Snowflake is so concerned it’s going to make him look bad that he is demanding control over local schools. 

Schools should always be local and there should be no school board members allowed that have not taught for a minimum of 5 years.  That is it...period...problems solved.  

I suppose I would even go as far as to say that if you are registered as a D or R...you also can't be on the board.

• Fire 1

Just now, teachercd said:

Schools should always be local and there should be no school board members allowed that have not taught for a minimum of 5 years.  That is it...period...problems solved.  

I suppose I would even go as far as to say that if you are registered as a D or R...you also can't be on the board.

You must be a teacher. :D

Just a random thought or two. A lot gets rehashed but I don't think I've really seen anybody else talking about this.

I feel pretty confident that given that COVID-19 is a novel virus, there's a good chance that any given country's total per capita death count at this early stage is quite possibly irrelevant.

If we all stay in our homes for six weeks, coronavirus is essentially squashed in the U.S., as has been floating around social media this week. There shouldn't even be much debate there. Doesn't matter whether we're talking about everyone wearing masks to the grocery store with a face mask with a garbage bag wrapped around your head or whatever - yes, the virus gets eliminated...for now.

But you don't have herd immunity in your population. And for those that say "we don't even know if herd immunity exists," just know that this doesn't bolster that position.

What happens after this hypothetical six week hardcore lockdown? Is international travel still banned for another 12 months? Because some guy from <insert_country_here> comes over on a business trip, sneezes underneath a buffet sneeze guard, and what? Another outbreak? It's not like we'll have a successful vaccine in six weeks.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Undone said:

What happens after this hypothetical six week hardcore lockdown? Is international travel still banned for another 12 months? Because some guy from <insert_country_here> comes over on a business trip, sneezes underneath a buffet sneeze guard, and what? Another outbreak? It's not like we'll have a successful vaccine in six weeks.

This is where having tracing would have been good. What we're doing (er, should be doing) right now is buying time and reducing the # of people who die before we have a vaccine or improved treatment, and keeping hospitals from becoming inundated. We can have lockdowns then ease up again then lockdown again based on #s.

And it's not up to us whether international travel is banned. Even after a lockdown it probably still will be for a long time. They have no reason to trust our numbers.

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, Undone said:

Agreed with @Moiraine's point that this is where tracing can be of paramount importance, though it's certainly not always going to be foolproof. We *should* be relying on data to make informed decisions about social distancing procedures, but our president and his administration, as well as a number of other powerful decision makers, are simply refusing to do so.

Meanwhile, we once again look like the class idiots of the modern world.

In reference to the vaccine, six weeks is too soon, but we appear to be on pace for a vaccine by September/October. Fauci's group is moving into the final stage of testing on their vaccine July 27th. They'll be testing it on 30,000 people. IIRC, initial results have been incredibly positive and 80% effective which appears to be incredibly good for the vaccine world.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Enhance said:

In reference to the vaccine, six weeks is too soon, but we appear to be on pace for a vaccine by September/October. Fauci's group is moving into the final stage of testing on their vaccine July 27th. They'll be testing it on 30,000 people. IIRC, initial results have been incredibly positive and 80% effective which appears to be incredibly good for the vaccine world.

Right, I understand this.

I was just taking an isolated conversation around some of these doctors on social media saying "We could drive this thing into the ground in six weeks" (this is a verbatim extract). We have to define "drive it into the ground," IMO.

The spread gets drastically limited with such an exercise, there are no questions there. But you have to be damn sure the vaccine gets you to herd immunity ASAP.

Sweden got dissed pretty hardcore by a good chunk of people in the U.S. for their attempt to just get it over with and let their young people contract it, spread it, and achieve herd immunity. I remember people showing snapshots of their per capita death rates back in April as compared to Denmark, Norway, and Finland.

My big point there is that you can't take per capita COVID deaths right now and make definitive claims about a country's strategy - You only see whether the strategy was good/bad in hindsight. And that hindsight may actually take somewhere between 1-3 years.

We just don't know, because that's the nature of a novel pathogen.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

Right, I understand this.

I was just taking an isolated conversation around some of these doctors on social media saying "We could drive this thing into the ground in six weeks" (this is a verbatim extract). We have to define "drive it into the ground," IMO.

The spread gets drastically limited with such an exercise, there are no questions there. But you have to be damn sure the vaccine gets you to herd immunity ASAP.

Sweden got dissed pretty hardcore by a good chunk of people in the U.S. for their attempt to just get it over with and let their young people contract it, spread it, and achieve herd immunity. I remember people showing snapshots of their per capita death rates back in April as compared to Denmark, Norway, and Finland.

My big point there is that you can't take per capita COVID deaths right now and make definitive claims about a country's strategy - You only see whether the strategy was good/bad in hindsight. And that hindsight may actually take somewhere between 1-3 years.

We just don't know, because that's the nature of a novel pathogen.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/sweden-covid-coronavirus-deaths-make-sweden-example-of-how-not-to-deal-with-covid-19/

Sweden still doing poorly 

Just now, Undone said:

Just tell me: Did you understand the point I was trying to make or didn't you? This is a yes/no question.

yes I just think its a bad point. We can see the data in real time and determine that they are doing worse than their Nordic counterparts. Its not rocket science and while we will have more information as time passes realistically the chances that trend changes is slim.